“Great People, Food and Good Times” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Summer Special Offer
Ranked #25 of 63 hotels in Montego Bay
Edmonton, Canada
“Great People, Food and Good Times”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

We stayed at the Riu March 8 to 22 2013. We had a fantastic time. The people really make this resort. Everyone from the bar tenders, food staff, cleaning staff, restaurant staff to the entertainment staff had the same goal in mind, to make sure I felt welcome and had a great time. The entertainment staff are second to none. The nightly shows were the best I've seen at any resort. You couldn't walk anywhere without getting a hello or being drawn into the fun and activities. We saw the staff that worked with the kids on the resort and were out standing. The food was great at the smorg. We travelled with 10 other people and everyone found something they liked to eat every meal. Grounds staff keep the place spotless. The location of the beach brought seaweed up but the staff did their absolute best to keep the place spotless. A note for travelers, I got suckered twice, do not exchange you money at the airport and do not buy booze at the "Duty Free Stores in town" The airport gave us an exchange rate of 77.8 to 1 and the front desk of the hotel gave us 92 to 1. I bought a bottle of 12 year old Appletons Rum for $35.00 at a "Duty Free Store" same bottle at the Appletons Estate Tour was $37.50. But at the Airport it was $24.00.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

3,540 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (803)
Tamarac, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

My wife and I LOVED this resort. After reading a lot of reviews on here I was not sure how our trip would be. The food was delicious, the room wonderful and the pool and beach were great. We did have an issue with our deadbolt lock when we first arrived but we called the front desk and they sent maintenance and replaced the lock.
All the staff was very friendly and cheerful. ALL of them from the waiters to the pool attendant to the maintenance workers ALWAYS said hello, good morning etc. if we had a question about a food on the buffet line we always got a quick and pleasant answer.
All inclusive with no tipping is just that. Although for a select few people we did give a personal tip , but that was our choice and we never felt an obligation to tip.
As some have mentioned they could have put in more elevators or better located them. Also, if it rains you will get wet going from building to building.
We also booked an excursion to go rafting down the Martha Brea River and that was extra of course but it was well worth it for a couple, I’m not sure if a family could enjoy it.

Room Tip: Suite 5320 is great one bit of info... the floors are numbered 0-3 so room 5320 is in building 5 on...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
New Haven, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I stayed at Riu Montego Bay in August of 2012 with my girlfriend and we had a fun time together on this lovely property. Welcomed by a desk of fruity beverages, we had to wait for our room but staff was nice and allowed us to change our clothing and use facilities while the rooms were being ready. We did just that and headed out to one of the fantastic bars overlooking the beach and enjoyed a "Miami Vice."
The room was fine and about a three minute walk from everything else so it was not very loud. However, there was a damp/musty smell that took about 2 wash cycles to eliminate from my clothing when I returned home. The plus side was the excellent stock of booze in the room. There were bottles on the wall with a "Tap" type function to make your own drinks, this was perfect for pre-gaming before dinner or an evening out on the resort.
I liked the food. They have different restaurants and a buffet. We went to the Steakhouse on our last night and found the food to be pretty good. There is also an Asian food restaurant but it is limited. The buffet is what you expect when these places are serving hoards of foods for many guests. The Red Stripe and Red Stripe Light was on tap at the buffet and flows around the resort like water - a definite plus! At one point at lunch, I saw a women with her husband and son wrapping loads of food and stuffing it in her bag, I suppose she was either getting her moneys worth or afraid she'd go hungry later in the day before dinner time. Try the jerk chicken hut on the beach but get there early or they will run out of chicken or if you want the last piece, the chef will tell you you are eating his lunch.
There were shows at night which were entertaining, including a dance contest. My girlfriend and I got pulled up stage to and danced the Electric Slide in front of what seemed like hundreds of people to temperature probably in the 80's. I can't tell you I'd be competitive on the hit television show "Dancing with the Stars" but we held our own. There was also a disco that played a mix of music, I especially liked the 80's music.
The weather was hot but it rained sometimes. Montego Bay was calm to wade/swim in but was a bit muddy. Also, beware of locals floating up to you on their canoes or whatnot trying to peddle drugs, necklaces and other souvenirs of Jamaica, it can get slightly annoying sometimes.
Overall, a nice resort and a fun trip to Jamaica.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Barrie, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

We had a 5 day mini vacation and loved this place. It's very clean, staff is friendly and the food on the buffet was very good. Pools are great, bars are great the the entertainment was good too.
My only complaint would be the noise from the planes taking off overhead, but guess that's my fault for picking a hotel close to the airport!!!
We will definitely go back!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Just returned from a 5 day stay at Riu Montego Bay. We picked this hotel as we have had a very good experience with Riu Cabo a few years ago. But this place was a disappointment compared to that. The good things were the grounds that were very clean and so were the rooms. We stayed on the top floor of unit 6 which had a spectacular view. The bad thing was the food! The 3 resturants where you had to book a table 3 days ahead were part buffet and part service at the table and I didn't really care for any of them. Another bad thing was that they only have one kind of red wine and one of white and they were terrible and very watered down. To have the same bad wine to every meal was a real disappointment! The best food was the Jerk Chicken they make in a little stand on the beach! It was absolutely delicious. So we ordered that chicken for lunch and then when to the close by buffet restaurant and added salad and veggies and that was the best meal of the day! Someone complained over the hard beds and pillows and I can only agree! The pillow was OK for me, bud the bed was very hard and I woke up with an aching back every morning and so did my hubby!

Room Tip: Just returned from a 5 day stay at Riu Montego Bay. We picked this hotel as we have had a very good...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

Wow I can say what a pleasant surprise . After reading some reviews I was sceptical but let me tell you what a beautiful clean resort. From the time we arrived at the resort with drinks waiting to a quick check in by friendly staff we were by a big beautiful pool in no time. The bar had quick service the drinks were always good blue ocean and dirty banana my favourite. The poolside entertainment staff were wonderful always keeping you busy during the day and entertaining you with shows at night. They are a wonderful hard working group of young people. A must to see is the Michael Jackson tribute great show. The resteraunts were good the food was good and plenty of it the buffet was loaded with choices. The rooms were very clean the housekeeping staff did a good job at keeping the rooms clean. The resort it self was well maintained and the grounds were beautiful. The beach was nice not huge but plenty of room and sunshine. Chairs by the pool were plenty alot of shaded areas if your a sun lover you need to be out early to save those spots. A good shopping area located across the street walking distance. Overall this resort is a family friendly resort . My family had a wonderful time my kids had a blast. Would I return to this resort ABSOLUTELY had a wonderful time thanks RIU MONTEGO BAY

• Stayed March 2013
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

This resort was nothing short of excellent. For all you people that posted negative comments I'm sure things mentioned are possible but for me and my family of four and our friends and their family of four we had a blast! From start to finish including flight with Air Transat, hotel resort and room, food, pool and pool staff, beach, beach sports and water sports, jerk chicken, buffet, restaurants (ok maybe not Italian) just do like us and not go to it, to the entertainment staff, the kids club and kids mini disco and shows as we have kids and were wonderful, to the evening shows, all of the above was amazing. You have to earn their respect, their friendship and you will be treated like gold here at this resort. I tipped all staff from pool, room, restaurant and entertainment staff and they took care of us like we belonged there. And just to note that I did not overtip just what we felt was right and they appreciated every dollar. I would return with my family in a heartbeat no problem mon!! Try to stay in building number one on the third floor. The rooms were clean and mould free. I check this first anywhere we travel. Not a cockroach seen all week. You will see plenty of negative comments I'm sure but it's a must see resort as I will return with ease again no problem. When I say Jamaica you say no problem mon! When I say entertainment you say everybody happy nobody sad. This is the truth at the RIU Montego Bay. HUGE thank you's to: Food staff (Garreth, Crystal Blake, Maurice), Pool staff (Diana & Mario), Kids club and Entertainment staff (Momo, Tiesha, Koro, Jamal, Yellow man) and the entire staff at the RIU Montego Bay from my family you were the best and truly made our vacation a blast and would definitely recommend and will return.

Room Tip: Building number one, third floor. Very clean, central and nice view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Riu Montego Bay? Share your experiences!