“This hotel has a lot of potential!” 3 of 5 stars

The Knutsford Court Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   16 Chelsea Avenue, Kingston 5, Jamaica   |
Ranked #7 of 22 hotels in Kingston
Mt Vernon ,NY
“This hotel has a lot of potential!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

If this hotel can get the money to renovate, It could be a gem. This hotel was very plain. Yes, it had some flowers but not enough. Since it is in the city of Kingston, It would have been nice if the hotel could make you have a "tropical serene moment ". The workers were very nice but I think the front desk people could get better customer service training. There was not a line of people and we had to wait to be acknowledge to get help to check in. Also since the hotel does not have elevators, I believe we could have been asked if we needed help with our bags. The gym equipment needs to be updated and serviced. The breakfast was ordinary & the dinner lackluster. The standard room was clean and had a decent amount of cable channels to keep you occupied. The pool was very small (I think it should be bigger especially since it's not a beach front property). As previously stated, If they did do some renovations for instance new paint ,colorful flowers, have nightly entertainment, have a volley ball or tennis court, have game room with pool table, ping pong , etc, business center, and much more . Maybe they can write to Hotel Impossible for some help.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

260 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Port of Spain, Trinidad
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Hotel was clean , rooms were good size. The staff were friendly but the hotel lacked variety. If one is staying for more than a few days then you can get quite bored with the selection of food at the hotel. The hotel itself lacked activity. Good for short business trips.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

This was my second time in jamaica, this experience was better than the first. When I got to the gate of the hotel I wasn't sure I wanted to stay there. But once I walked inside the courtyard I felt a sense of relief. It looked beautiful and was clean. I checked into my room without no problem. I stayed in room 2206 facing inside the yard, my room was clean, nice size bed, dresser chair, tv on wall, clean bathroom with balcony. As each day went by i was more and more comfortable, people were very friendly, food was good,pool was nice, service was good. I went for walks every morning in the business district and felt safe. Things I didnt like was the room door was loose its not the proper fit and it smelled musty in the hallways and the continental breakfast was not the greatest need to change the breakfast menu. My overall experience was good.

Room Tip: facing the yard
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Nova Scotia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

While visiting Kingston, we recently stayed at the Knutsford so we had a good home base in the middle of everything. We loved the location and found it safe and in walking distance to restaurants and stores in New Kingston and a short drive to the water and other areas in and around Kingston. The room was very clean and the bed comfortable. The a/c worked too well and I found, if anything, it was a bit too cold in certain areas of the hotel. The restaurant was always freezing but I learned to wear jeans and enjoyed the continental breakfast provided every morning. We also had a nice dinner one night at the hotel restaurant. The staff were very helpful and check in and check out was quick and easy. Finally, me and my partner both had some work we had to do one morning and the free wi-fi and set up of the room was great for dealing with emergency business matters. The one complaint I would make is that the room is no where near soundproof and you can hear everything going on next door to you or in the hallway. This did not adversly affect our stay but if you are a light sleeper and have noisy neighbours, it could be a problem. For us, the stay met all our expectations.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Calgary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Absolutely Wonderful Experience :) Oh sure a person could "pick" or "compare" but, come on, it's Kingston JA, all the staff were amazing, friendly, helpful and really great to deal with, the room was clean, the food was great, and the respect shown was also received ten fold. If you would like to experience Kingston in a safe, friendly environment then this Hotel is for you. I will be returning as soon as I can. To All Staff - Take really good care, be safe, healthy & happy, I miss you all so much, hope to see you very soon, Karen

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Montego Bay, Jamaica
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Three friends and I stayed in room 2230 and 2232 last week. We got two double beds in our room as requested. The room has a balcony overlooking part of the car park towards the restaurant and was very quiet. We were hardly in the room so the view hardly mattered. The room was comfortable though it had a musty smell.

If you have a physical disability you may prefer a ground floor room as the hotel does not appear to have elevators. The rooms we stayed in were accessible only by climbing four (&1/2) flights of stairs.
There is no wifi in the rooms. We were told that there was wifi in the public areas but on my ipad I could never pick up a signal. I had no laptop with me so I couldn't check to see if I could get a signal on that. There is, however, ethernet internet connections in all the rooms.

What appeared to be the only electrical socket in the room had been pulled out of the wall and the wires were exposed. Hopefully this will be fixed before the next guest is assigned to the room.

I was happy that the bathroom window overlooked a mostly empty and quiet parking lot as the window was a bit low and had see through curtains.

If you are a vegan you will have a challenge with the complimentary breakfast, "The Sunrise Breakfast" served between 6:30am -10:00am. The buffet consisted of bacon and scrambled eggs, raisin bran, cornflakes, milk, coffee, chocolate cupcakes, toast, honeydew melon, water melon and cantaloupe. When we got there at 8:30 the fruits available were very sparse although about an hour later the cantaloupe plate was refreshed.
There is a regular menu from which you may order Jamaican or the usual breakfast fare at a cost.
Dinner at the Hotel's restaurant, The Melting Pot is good.

The hotel has a pool, gym and a guest laundromat.
Checkin is 3pm and checkout is at 12noon. The housekeepers come to clean rooms at 8:00am sharp. :)
All in all the rooms were comfortable and appeared clean. The hotel is very centrally located and very easy to find. The rate we got was very good and I believe we got value for money. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Choose a room overlooking the parking lot. Quiet.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Chiswick
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We moved here after spending a night in a B&B without managing to get much sleep because of road noise combined with dogs etc. so we were hoping for a quiet place to rest our heads. We were not disappointed. Sure if we wanted to find things wrong we could have found some, but the only thing that really let it down was the breakfast. Self service buffet was included in the price, it was perfectly adequate but in comparison to the rest of the experience it fell short. The staff were really helpful and ultra polite, clean room, very comfortable bed.

Room Tip: Ask about an upgrade!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Knutsford Court Hotel? Share your experiences!