“It is like a HOME!” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Rochester, New York
“It is like a HOME!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

I felt so safe. There was security guard at the night, you dont have to worry about something would happens in the night time. Backyard, was so beautiful! It has the bar, kiddie pool and seats to sitting down and chill. The bed was clean, they would provide the clean sheets. It has the computers and WiFi also. I enjoyed the free breakfast and took a nap on the hammock.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Buenos Aires, Argentina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

When we arrived in the early morning (8am), there was somebody who opend the door and we could stay there until our room was ready. It was all very clean especially the Bathrooms and dorms. I guess, It is the most famous hostel in Kingston and almost all who arrive in Kingston are staying there. There is a Backyard where with a bar and furniture where you can chill out. The staff was friendly and helpful, calling taxis and things like that. We could recommend the hostel, certainly.

Room Tip: We had a private room. It was clean and comfortable.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
North Smithfield, Rhode Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I stayed for 2 nights and everyone was so pleasant. It is very clean. The kitchen is small but I will stay there again. There were people from all over the world that were visiting there also. The location is great and very secure. I would recommend this place to people who want to really experience Kingston and Jamaica in general.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
San Juan, Puerto Rico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We stayed at the hostel for two nights. The first one was great. The staff are mostly serious but they were nice enough. The common areas are nice and comfortable, specially the exterior ones. Everything seemed clean, and the bathrooms were well-kept. Be warned - I don't see how the bread and cereal made available is enough for a full-house, it makes one uneasy about having more than a slice of toast. If a big breakfast is important for you I suggest you buy your own foodstuffs. The second night we spent there, there was another guy managing the place and he seemed to have a permanently coarse and rough attitude. I never caught his name but we nicknamed him the "blue guy" because he wore a blue shirt, blue cap and jeans every time we saw him. We left after the second night and called that same day to reserve our three beds for when we came back two days later. They said it was fine. When we came back though - around 9pm and hungry- the "blue guy" greeted us with the news that the house was packed and there was only one bed available. He had nothing to answer as I questioned why they gave our beds away if we had already booked. He just stayed quiet and stared. He told us we could camp out if we didn't find a another place to stay and if we were willing but we were extremely tired from our trip through Cockpit Country and craved beds. We ended up finding a cheaper place, The Durham Hostel, that was just as nice and the people managing it were waaaaay friendlier. It was even better located. Either way over booking is unacceptable! You can't do that to people! I bet - that like us- most people that stay there are first timers that don't know anyone in Jamaica or how to get around. It is your responsibility to keep organized tabs on bookings and to honor them!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
scottygeneral, Owner at Reggae Hostel, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to post a review! We regret that we were unable to accommodate you on your return and thank you for thinking highly enough of us to return in the first place. As I understand it, you called in a reservation and were advised that it was not a confirmed reservation and that a down payment or online booking would guarantee the booking. Without a guaranteed booking we must give preference to those who have made a deposit and guaranteed their booking. You arrived at 9pm on the night and perhaps if you had come earlier with the unconfirmed reservations things would have worked out better. Nevertheless, we regret that you had this experience with us. As for the particular staff member that you didn't find pleasant, I will take personal responsibility because he mainly has a security role for the nights and clearly we need to review the matter and address it urgently. Thanks for the kind words and I do recall on your first stay laughing and talking with you both and providing info..we will try to ensure that in future there is no misunderstanding regarding confirmed and unconfirmed bookings. Bless
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

This is my second stay at the reggae hostel. Once again I had a great time, I would like to say a big thank you to all the staff for helping to make my trip really memorable. I've recommended the hostel to my friends and will definitely come again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Far too expensive for what it offers.
Staff was ok , pleasant enough , however, I wouldn't say they offer exceptional service - the orientation offered on arrival was not altogether helpful. It was more like ' here's the and here's that' whirlwind tour.
You'd think at that price towels would have been provided.

We had asked for two beds in private room which we got but didn't reckon on they being bunk beds !
Shower rooms - generally needing some updating. One of the shower rooms doesn't have any curtain on the window so no privacy !
Rooms basic - no sinks, no mirrors. Wall mounted noisy fan .
Siting room -the only sofa available and was being used by someone sleeping in the afternoon. .

Smokers gather in an area near to the rooms that has chairs and table provided and the awful smell of cigarettes soon becomes pervasive into the bedroom from the courtyard .

They take ages to let one in as the gate is locked which is no bad thing but only wish they were prompt when the bell's. rung !
I wouldn't say that it was particularly central or that close to amenities and shops. The hostal is in a very quiet ,too quiet residential area and its advisable to take a taxi at night .

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
scottygeneral, Owner at Reggae Hostel, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to review our property. I'm truly sorry that we did not live up to your expectations, however I believe your expectations may be tainted by the fact that you are under the mistaken impression that you booked a private room. What you booked and received was our 2 bed dorm. Dorms don't come with towels while private rooms do. Also all private rooms are airconditioned. We have only been in business for 18 months so we do have things that we need to perfect. You did arrive in an extremely busy period and at a moment perhaps where a more methodical tour of our small hostel was difficult, also many travellers arrive tired and want to get settled quickly. We are keenly aware of this so we try and help our guests get settled and placed in their abode quickly and then allow them an opportunity to see us at the front desk when they are refreshed so that we can be of further assistance. I hope you are aware that we provide free breakfast, wi-fi, computers, free phone calls, 22 hour front desk assistance and a Kitchen for you to use. We also may have failed to make you aware of how central our location really is. One look at the map indicates that we are in the very center of the greater Kingston area. We also have the largest taxi service in Jamaica situated just next door. The area is semi residential yet less than 10 minutes walk to Half Way Tree (the parish capital) which hosts the largest transportation centre in Jamaica and the largest shopping area uptown. It's also,15-20mins walk to Devon House and 35 minutes to Bob Marley Museum.
Hopefully one day you will return so that we have an opportunity to highlight the areas of value that you missed. Bless
Oak Bluffs, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

My Jamaican experience was from hostel, hotel, up to all exclusive resort, and to be honest Reggae Hostel was the best choice and deffinitely my first place for the future stay. Hostel is very good located in New Kingston, close to all important places and walking distance from it. Stuff was sooo professional, friendly and more than helpful. I arrived with my friend after 9pm, and the bar they have outside was the only thing we needed after long and hot day we had. Rooms are big enough for all we needed and for all our stuff (and we had a bunch). They gave us clean, nice soft sheets and we had couple fans in the room! And the toast,coffee and smiles in the morning were great surprise! I've already told all my friends about my great experience first in Jamaica and after hostel :) I will come back for sure and hopefully bring more friends. Continue like that, great place and even better people.

p.s. Your culture, food and music is amazing!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in 4 beds and 6 beds rooms and both were great. Only reason why 4 beds room-you have bette...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Reggae Hostel? Share your experiences!