“Fantastic- amazing experience!” 5 of 5 stars

8 Burlington Ave, Kingston, Jamaica   |
Canberra, Australia
“Fantastic- amazing experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

We can't say enough good things about the Reggae Hostel. We stayed there twice during our stay in Jamaica and were extremely happy with our experience. The hostel was always spotless and staff are friendly and helpful. The hostel has a very relaxed and comfortable atmosphere. Our definite high point was Scotty the owner of the Reggae hostel who made our stay unforgettable. He went out of his way to insure our stay in Jamaica was amazing and helped us in many ways. We will defintely be back and recommend it to anyone travelling to Kingston.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

Wow, I can't say anything but great things about Reggae Hostel and there staff. Scotty, Zana, and all the folks there are super friendly, and full of great advise and goodness. I was there for 2 days with a friend and they treated us like we were returning customers. I highly highly recommend this hostel. It's near to shops, food, and nightlife. You won't be disappointed!

OneLove,
LBC

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Santa Fe, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

We had a wonderful stay at Reggae Hostel. We arrived late and were told to check in at the bar, where we immediately bought a Red Stripe and started chatting with other hostelers. Welcome to Jamaica! As a couple, we had a private room at the end of the hall, which was sparsely furnished, but very clean. The breakfast was just toast and coffee/tea, but the fresh mangoes out for everyone were a great touch. It's a 10-15 minute walk to Half Way Tree, and therefore, anything you need. The place was safe, welcoming, and we were able to leave our large baggage there for a few days for a fee while we traveled. Scotty was very nice and helpful; the other staff woman was a bit stand-offish, and didn't go out of her way to help us. A list of food/stores/other places in the area would have been very helpful, so do your homework beforehand, or plan to spend some time on their computers doing some research or asking around to find things. Oh, and bring earplugs. The bar/neighbor when he has a party gets very loud very late, but with earplugs we were fine. Those things are a good rule of thumb for all of Jamaica.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

Had a great stay at Reggae Hostel. We stayed for one night at the beginning of our trip and one night at the end of our trip and is a great place to launch your adventures from. We had a private room which had aircon, own bathroom and a giant bed. Very affordable rates, safe & secure, great laid back atmosphere and great location. There is free wi-fi and free computers to use and breakfast is included. The bar outside is pretty chilled too - cheap red stripes, and Scotty and Zana are great.

After visiting Kingston I feel all the rumors which Id previously heard about how dangerous it is are completely untrue. I didn't once feel threatened or in danger (and neither did my girlfriend). I didn't see any violence in Jamaica at all in the 10 days I was there (compared to 2 brawls and a gangster walking down the street with a handgun in the 10 days I was in the US). Highly recommended country and hostel to visit. One of my favourite countries I've been too (out of about 15-18).

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

Reggae Hostel is an excellent place to stay when you're in Kingston. Scotty and his entire staff are very helpful and will take care of you. Couldn't have asked for a better place to stay. You can use their kitchen, bathrooms are clean and well kept, and there are computers you can use and WiFi if you have your own. Very close to the Halfway Tree bus station, and the neighborhood is very safe. Grocery store and bank is a short walking distance away. If you are in Kingston, Jamaica stay at Reggae Hostel!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012 via mobile

Good staff! Scotty is the owner or big boss I think. He was helpful and courteous to me the whole time during my 3 day stay in Kingston. Then there is the night security guard named Welch I think his name is...he was very helpful and cool too. Zena is another staff member who was sweet and helpful too. Met a couple of interesting folks there. The hostel is right in the middle of Kingston--near shopping, malls, supermarket, eateries, banks...you name it!

I would refer anyone visiting Kingston to stay at the reggae hostel. The pricing is very inexpensive too!

Kingston is not as bad as the media and other people portray it to be. I felt safe at the hostel as well.

No downsides. Rooms were clean. Maid service every morning up until the evening. Hostel was clean overall!

I will come back to Kingston again, and stay there. I am not through with Jamaica just yet! LOL.

• Stayed April 2012
Annemasse, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

I have not been to the all inclusive ghettos for (american) tourists, only 'jamaican' hotels...
It is by far the best place i have stayed in Jamaica !
It is quiet, safe, clean and cheap !
It is close to Halfway Tree bus station, Bob Marley's home and Devon House...
Internet access, kitchen and valuable tourist info are available...
Guests can chill in vast backyard with an outdoor bar...
The staff is super cool !! They will ask you for advice on what they can improve even though things is already pretty good the way they are... They will advise you about things to do and parties to go to and occasionally they will even go with you !
Another good thing about this place is that not only you'll be in Kingston with real Jamaicans, you'll also meet the world there through the other guests !!
If I ever get a chance to go back to Kingston, I won't look for another place... And my opinion is : you shouldn't either ! ;o)

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo

Been to Reggae Hostel? Share your experiences!