I came to Jamaica to get engaged to my future wife. She choose this Blue mountaing resort as the perfect setting. Well It turned out to be a unbelievable experience. No taxis to the hotel, food barely passing, Dog's and Cat's all over the place. And privacy was really not to be believed. Kid's of Hotel staff was constantly opening slates to peep in our room at the most private times (If you know what I mean!) and when we complain didnot appear to be a real concern to them. We were off because of the difficults in getting there a 10% discount. Which was fine. Then because of our issues during our visit promise and additional 10% discount. This Susan never showed in person and when settling our bill on the phone she denied to us that she had ever said it. This item as much as anything else help to make my engagement visit a poor experience and I will not return for any reason. I would also warn any other visitors to beware. (As a footnote, when I wrote the original review my future wife received a call from Susan asking how could I say that. I am only tell the true about our visit as honestly and exactly as I can. So you may decide for yourself and I wonder if this review will disappear as well!!!)
Require shutter to be covered before you arrive and in my case I request to be removed from their di...
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
March 8, 2013
Tastes are personal and nobody can change that. That gentleman doesn’t like Rafjam and there is no problem with that. But lying purposely to destroy what an entire family has been building for 4 years now, something that is widely and greatly appreciated by the about 400 visitors we welcomed since our opening is something else.
Report response as inappropriate
This gentleman says he wants to say the truth? Please read the following to understand what he really is.
That couple met online and decided to meet physically for the first time here in Jamaica. The fiancée, a charming person, came prior to the arrival to visit our place. She loved it and decided to make the booking. She saw the road, she saw the cats and dogs but everything was perfect for her. She asked if she could get a discount and Susan decided to give her a 10% discount to congratulate them for their engagement.
As soon as the gentleman came, he complained about everything. They, despite his complaints, decided to stay (when they could have leaved earlier). Upon check-out, we realized that the gentleman never had any money and never intended to pay. All the problems he claimed as well as the additional discounts he wanted were pure invention of his in order for him to be allowed to get his stay free. The lady was ashamed by his behavior (at one time of the stay, she confided to one of our staff member that the gentleman needed some “fix up”, as she was disappointed by his general appearance and behavior) and had to find ways to get the money to pay the bill as the gentleman decided to leave without paying.
A few more precisions:
- The guest stayed more than a year ago. Why bring this up now?
- We always make sure the guests know about the road that is a bit rough. It never has been a problem. Many of our guests are driving their regular car (not especially 4X4) and have no issue doing that. For the ones who do not want to drive on it, we have an arrangement with a nearby property where the guest can leave their car (in a fenced property with security day and night). We then go pick them up and drop them back whenever they want. We also regularly arrange pick ups (anywhere in Jamaica) if the guest has no car or doesn’t want to drive it. In this case, the lady knew about the road as she came prior their arrival to see the property. Complaining about that point is totally ridiculous. And, yes, taxis are driving that road.
- The cats and dogs are, since man exists, used as pets. Our cats are keeping the rodents away (we are in the bush) and the dogs are there for a security reason. They do not disturb our guests who, more than usually, love them (see some of the previous reviews). One of the dogs, Patra, is also a hike lover and she always go with our guests doing that activity.
- The food is one of our best services (see previous reviews). We have 2 experimented chefs who only receive praises from our guests. This guest might not have liked it but it is then his personal taste (seems like this gentleman doesn’t like much).
- As I said before, in our almost 4 years of existence, we welcomed about 400 guests, mainly couples. We never, never, never had any complain about what this guest is talking about. The only way someone could peek through the door, window or shutters is if the guest leave it open. Maybe it is this guest’s taste to be watched during, as he says, his “most private times”.
- Susan indeed wasn’t on spot as she had a commitment on the north coast. But Theo, our manager, was there and was totally able to deal with the situation. He has our trust and full power. But he has been in contact with Susan regularly during the time the guest was there.
- Susan never called the lady back. Why would she anyway? Another pure lie and invention.
- This guest did write a review on hostelworld.com, review that has been removed, not at our request. I imagine Hostelworld.com decided that it was not a reflection of the reality and that it had to be removed has it was giving an untrue vision of our place. We will not ask Trip Advisor to remove this one as we think we should let the readers see who exactly that Larry Smith is. Warning to our fellow hoteliers: this gentleman is a trouble maker and tries to stay at places without paying for it. Feel free to contact us to get more details about him to make sure you do not have the same issues we had with him.
One more thing: that gentleman thought he was coming in a 5 stars hotel. Our name “Rafjam Bed & Breakfast” should be explicit enough to show that we are not a 5 stars hotel.
Despite the fact that we are “just” a Bed & Breakfast, a nearby 5 stars hotel regularly sends some of his guests to spend time with us. Some of them are staying just for the day, enjoying our facilities, our gardens and the river, some of them are staying one night or more… but all of them, so far, have been delighted by their experience with us and some of them are now regular returning visitors.
Rafael de Campos
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.