“ALL ARE WELCOME” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mayfair Hotel

Mayfair Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kingston
Mayfair Hotel
Save Saved
You added Mayfair Hotel to your Saves list
Waterloo Road, Kingston, Jamaica   |
Ranked #21 of 22 hotels in Kingston
Kingston, Jamaica
“ALL ARE WELCOME”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

You know some of these people who claimed they are writing reviews are so unfair, some of them might not even know where these hotel’s are located they have never gone there. Thus making their review a lie. Some of these persons are really unfair with their comments. I have been to many hotels before and if you go to a hotel that you are paying USD$70 (JA5900.00) per night what kind a top of the line service do you expect to get. It might look like plenty but it’s not. The review by Evonnee on September 12is not true there are very nice rooms at the hotel so of us want exquisite service and only want to pay popcorn rate that in my mind is unfair. Many guest visited hotels and steal hotel property nasty up their place and some even expect to get five star treatment for no star rate. Since her/his experience was so disasterous and distasteful don’t put your backside there again. Every hotel has fault no matter how new or the impeccable service they offered some guest will find fault especially when they want cheapness.
My experience at the Mayfair was very wonderful, the staff were excellent friendly and my room was clean and nice, I did not expect to get what I did not pay for, I know ecaxtly what I wanted and I even think I got more than I bargained for. This hotel in my mind has room to fit everyone’s pocket.
I am definitely planning to be back at Christmas. Love the pub, clean and nice air conditioned bar, and the Japanese restaurant thumbs up to them I think they are the best in the business. I had breakfast at the Jamaican restaurant and the ackee and salted fish was excellent. Keep it up guys.

See you in December.

Room Tip: The rooms over the bar overlooking the pool are very nice and private . good view of the mountains
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

50 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

This is dirty and sleezy operation that needs to be shut down. I booked a 2 bedroom and could not stay at the hotel on August 29, 2012. The furniture and beds were dirty. The bed linen was not typical hotel linen but looked like the kind used in a bad boarding house. The rooms were musty. The physical appearance of the surroundings leave a lot to be desired. Property was in a very deplorable and unkempt state. I had to find another hotel and the manager even said that he understood if I did not stay. No way could I stay in such a dump even if it was for free.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Solihull
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

We stayed at the Mayfair for one night in April 2012 as we were visiting friends in Kingston during a 2 week family holiday based on the North Coast. This hotel was chosen as it was one of the few that we could find that could accommodate a family of 6 for a reasonable price - about US$135/night.

Making contact via the internet was impossible as none of the 3 websites that we found had a working email address. In the end we phoned from the UK to make a reservation and struggled to make ourselves understood - we spoke to a very pleasant sounding Cuban lady who did not seem to know much about the rooms that were available. Our local friend also tried to find out more but gave up - in the end we called a further time and made the reservation but had little confidence that this would work..

As ex-residents of Kingston we were familar with the location and realistic in our expectations for the price. However, even taking the low price into account the location of the rooms (around the back by the service area) was not good plus the condition of the rooms was poor, walls were dirty and the furniture was below an acceptable standard. The four single beds were OK but the sofa bed was ancient and falling apart - very uncomfortable. The ceiling fan in the living room was noisy, almost falling off, and could not be used. One of the AC units in the bedrooms only blew hot air which was a real problem considering the poor ventilation in the rooms.

When we checked in at 16:00hrs we pointed out these problems to the helpful lady at the front desk - she said they had no other rooms that could accommodate our party but she would get the maintenance man to have a look at the room. As we were due to meet our friends shortly we had little choice but to trust that the worst of the issues would be corrected by our return later that night.

We returned at 23:00hrs to discover that nothing had changed for the better - in fact, by the time the kids were all in bed the toilet was now blocked and out of action. So at midnight we complained again to the front desk. A security guard showed up shortly afterwards with a plunger - the expectation being that we would sort the plumbing out ourselves! Back to the front desk, this time to get the duty manager out of bed! He was very apologetic and embarassed by the condition of the hotel - relatively new in his post he was obviously struggling to get on top of the situation and had not been able to pursuade the owners to make the significant investment required to get the rooms up to an acceptable standard.

The toilet could not be unblocked - we looked at an alternative room with only five beds and decided that this would not work. So the manager offered us the use of a toilet in a room 2 doors down as a compromise - with the promise that we we would get a substantial discount.

The kids slept OK but we spent a very uncomfortable night on the sofa bed. After a below average breakfast with indifferent service - we checked out. The manager was as good as his word and gave us a 50% discount.

Would we use this hotel again? No. Everyone we spoke to was very friendly and helpful but we would not return until they sort out the basics - i.e. tidy the place up, give the rooms a coat of paint, buy some new furniture, fix the AC and upgrade the plumbing.

Low cost does not have to mean poor quality - perhaps some of the other rooms are better but based on our experience I would avoid and pay a bit more for a better night's sleep.

Room Tip: Avoid the family rooms around the back - these are over the service area which is quite run down and...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Switzerland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

We arrived in nighttime in mayfair hotel and made a booking one day before per email. At the desk nobody new about the booking. The first room we got offered for US $72 was horrible, sleacy with black srcatchings at the walls and very small. After our hard critic we got a better one, but still not worth the money. The cubbard was broken, the entrance not clean, brown colored doors and furniture in yellow walls, the AC didnt get out the humid smuff in the air.
There is a running bar on the areal wich is frequented by rich locals. You may get in contact with people there but if you dont like, you'll have noise till 3 a.m. Because all are parking their big cars on the areal.
Outside it looks nice, also the pool. There is wifi access and a restaurant. Breakfast is not included and all spots in kingston have to be made by taxi.
We are sure there are really better options in Kingston!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

Frankly, I was scared after reading the reviews about the state of the rooms, insects, staff and all BUT i was left with no option as I had left the hotel booking to my friend who chose the Mayfair Hotel!
My first impressions were neutral as it was like any other hotel in a developing country.
The problem with most reviewers is that they come from the UK and the US, expecting to pay peanuts and receive 5 star service!
Obviously this is not a 5, 4 or even 3 star hotel but it is comparatively CHEAP by any standard! So get real and accept this!
The pool was clean and the bar service excellent if a little pricey.
The plus side is that the hotel is close to shopping facilities so you can eat out on the cheap if you're concerned about saving cost.
The best feature of the Mayfair however is the staff! A big shout out to the manager Francis, who gave me a discount just for sharing the same first name!
Shout out to Faithley and Monique for the patois lessons and making me feel like I was really at home. Everyone was just relaxed and laid back.
Many thanks to Troy and the friendly housekeeper who let me check out one hour late! :D

Enough said. You get what you pay for, but I believe I received more than I paid for as Mayfair represents great value!
I'll defo be back next year!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room change if you're not satisfied as the rooms can vary considerably in size, locati...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012 via mobile

I. Was stuck in kingston for 3 days so I decided to go to the mayfair it was a friday night thank god I only paid for 1 night, We asked for the best room and we GOT the worst room! IN the back the music was on till 3am really loud, WE had the worst service there were only 2 waitors serving too approx 30ppl, THE bed was making sounds all night! CREEK CREEK the a.c barely even worked! OVERall DO NOT GO HERE....

• Stayed December 2011
Maine, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011

I went for business and honestly didn't expect anything special, but the hotel is located in the heart of Jamaica. The staff was pleasant, very helpful, and honest. It was like my own little paradise! The Japanese restaurant they have at that hotel might just be the best restaurant in Jamaica. I had it the first night and thought to myself, "wow, Jamaica has really good food," but after going to several other restaurants on my trip I realized there was no comparison. I have to go back next month and have already chosen my room. See you soon Cocoro

Room Tip: Just ask for the best room, the price is very reasonable.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

Been to Mayfair Hotel? Share your experiences!