“Really bad experience!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Mayfair Hotel

Mayfair Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kingston
Mayfair Hotel
Waterloo Road, Kingston, Jamaica   |
Ranked #20 of 22 hotels in Kingston
Switzerland
“Really bad experience!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

We arrived in nighttime in mayfair hotel and made a booking one day before per email. At the desk nobody new about the booking. The first room we got offered for US $72 was horrible, sleacy with black srcatchings at the walls and very small. After our hard critic we got a better one, but still not worth the money. The cubbard was broken, the entrance not clean, brown colored doors and furniture in yellow walls, the AC didnt get out the humid smuff in the air.
There is a running bar on the areal wich is frequented by rich locals. You may get in contact with people there but if you dont like, you'll have noise till 3 a.m. Because all are parking their big cars on the areal.
Outside it looks nice, also the pool. There is wifi access and a restaurant. Breakfast is not included and all spots in kingston have to be made by taxi.
We are sure there are really better options in Kingston!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

49 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

Frankly, I was scared after reading the reviews about the state of the rooms, insects, staff and all BUT i was left with no option as I had left the hotel booking to my friend who chose the Mayfair Hotel!
My first impressions were neutral as it was like any other hotel in a developing country.
The problem with most reviewers is that they come from the UK and the US, expecting to pay peanuts and receive 5 star service!
Obviously this is not a 5, 4 or even 3 star hotel but it is comparatively CHEAP by any standard! So get real and accept this!
The pool was clean and the bar service excellent if a little pricey.
The plus side is that the hotel is close to shopping facilities so you can eat out on the cheap if you're concerned about saving cost.
The best feature of the Mayfair however is the staff! A big shout out to the manager Francis, who gave me a discount just for sharing the same first name!
Shout out to Faithley and Monique for the patois lessons and making me feel like I was really at home. Everyone was just relaxed and laid back.
Many thanks to Troy and the friendly housekeeper who let me check out one hour late! :D

Enough said. You get what you pay for, but I believe I received more than I paid for as Mayfair represents great value!
I'll defo be back next year!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room change if you're not satisfied as the rooms can vary considerably in size, locati...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012 via mobile

I. Was stuck in kingston for 3 days so I decided to go to the mayfair it was a friday night thank god I only paid for 1 night, We asked for the best room and we GOT the worst room! IN the back the music was on till 3am really loud, WE had the worst service there were only 2 waitors serving too approx 30ppl, THE bed was making sounds all night! CREEK CREEK the a.c barely even worked! OVERall DO NOT GO HERE....

• Stayed December 2011
Maine, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011

I went for business and honestly didn't expect anything special, but the hotel is located in the heart of Jamaica. The staff was pleasant, very helpful, and honest. It was like my own little paradise! The Japanese restaurant they have at that hotel might just be the best restaurant in Jamaica. I had it the first night and thought to myself, "wow, Jamaica has really good food," but after going to several other restaurants on my trip I realized there was no comparison. I have to go back next month and have already chosen my room. See you soon Cocoro

Room Tip: Just ask for the best room, the price is very reasonable.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Kingston, Jamaica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

The Mayfair is centrally located in Kingston Jamaica with great views of the mountains. It has rooms for all budgets and is an oasis in the middle the city. The staff is wonderful, and I always feel welcome on my return. It is safe and serene. There is a Japanese restaurant, a Jamaican cafe, and an English style pub in the premises. The grounds are lovely and the pool is always open. It is an older hotel so some people might find minor flaws with plumbing and such, but I found these types of things to be minor problems. I have yet to find a better place to stay in Kingston.

Room Tip: Look at the room first...there is a big difference between rooms according to price and taste.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
jamaica
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

Stop at the restaurant on property.
The service is average stayed in one of the cottages so it gives a home away from home kinna feel. It may be a little difficult but not impossible to find it you are not from the area. The surrounding scenery is breath taking; mountain back drop.Its also in close proximity to the rest of Kingston which is definitely a plus...over all its the perfect place to stay if ur in Kingston for a business trip friendly staff, ideal location and great food thumbs up on the sushi guys !!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Miami
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2011

No, this isn't a luxury resort. It was perfectly adequate for the 5 days of business meetings I had in Kingston, though it was far from the airport and it seemed isolated from the downtown district. The staff were friendly and attentive -- they rang our rooms at 6:45 a.m. to ask what we would like to have for breakfast, which was nice, even if it was a bit much. When I arrived at 11:30 p.m., the kitchen was still open and made me a whole steamed snapper and bammy, which was delicious. The bar area with its barrel tables and chairs and view of the Blue Mountains is the best part of the hotel, with excellent food and friendly waitresses who can explain why Red Stripe Bold is better than Red Stripe regular, and a regular crowd of locals. The satellite TV is better than the cable I have at home in the US. The rooms are typical of similar hotels I've stayed in in developing countries: a tempermental shower, an uncomfortable bed, a creaky air conditioner, but again, it was completely adequate for a business trip in Kingston. Next time I go to Jamaica, I'll be heading to one of the resorts without guilt.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business

Been to Mayfair Hotel? Share your experiences!