“There is good but there's more bad” 2 of 5 stars

Hotel Four Seasons
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   18 Ruthven Road | Kingston 10, Kingston, Jamaica   |
Ranked #11 of 22 hotels in Kingston
Cebu
“There is good but there's more bad”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

Location

Location-wise, there was nothing near it. So not really good. A few blocks of walking will bring you to an old place that sells buffet food. That's what happened when the phone was down and we couldn't order anything for delivery, not even the front desk. I injured my foot so my wife was looking for something to eat outside and had to walk about 200-300 meters. I forgot the name of that restaurant but their food tasted decent. More of Jamaican local delicacies though nothing much more. In terms of distance, from popular locations, it's not really that far, and the front desk could always call a cab, so not a biggie. Although places like Courtleigh, Pegasus, Liguaneau Club give you walking distance to emancipation park, a local rusty amusement park, and the New Kingston Shopping Mall.

Customer Service

Customer Service wasn't bad either. When we arrived, they greeted us with a forced smile, but attended to us immediately. Check-in time was 3pm and while we were anxious to go in before that, they actually looked for a room that accomodated us as early as 12noon. The problem was this. When we opened the room (room 108 right in front of the pool), about 10 mosquitos flew by us. We went inside swatted about half of them while the others were hiding under the bed. Then we opened the bathroom and an additional 15 or stormed on us biting every foreign blood they could find. It looked like a horror movie. We tried to deal with it and swatted as many as we can. We were so tired we tried to sleep completely covered with the soft comforters. Suddenly I started having rashes. It looked like either some mosquitos were inside already or its a bed bug issue. I felt like an idiot trying to stay in that room with my wife and my 4 year old. But common sense came back and we took all our luggage back to the front desk and requested for a room transfer. That was another 200-300 meter walk from the rooms back to the reception, which is another bad story of the hotel design. The reception was right in front of the main gate, but after you checked in you have to walk 200-300 meters to where the rooms actually were. They have an electric car for those with many bags, but obviously could not accomodate everybody and we were the ones who just had to walk it off. So I told them our predicament of the mosquitos and the lady's answer was, well Jamaica is a tropical Island! Mosquitos are everywhere. I didn't believe though that every hotel in Jamaica have mosquitoes waiting for their prey. When they were ready, they moved us to room 217 which is at the 2nd floor. TIP: there is less mosquito at the 2nd floor. And the door was facing away from the pool and not in front of it. Apparently the pool attracts many mosquitos and if your room door is in front of it, there is higher likelihood that many can creep inside. Apparently they sprayed room 217, left a lit mosquito candle, and we saw not one mosquito inside. Whew! Finaly, we can sleep better this time. But I got to tell you, the bed was itchy the entire time!

Breakfast was included. It was great! Nothing to special in terms of taste, just average. They give you a choice of either a continental breakfast or local jamaican dish. I loved the jamaican dish. Its salt fish with vegetables and yam with a roll. It tasted good, me and my wife loved it. Unfortunately my boy didn't like the pancakes, although the extra bacon my wife ordered looked fine. It's an adequate breakfast for sure. Something that could have cost 50 USD for the three of us if we were to eat outside, so it was a big deal.

Tours

The hotel has partnered with tour operators but I strongly advise against these. It's darn expensive. for a 3 hour city tour it costs 65 USD per person. All they do is drive you to three locations, leave you there for 45 minutes each. You could easily hire a taxi for 4 USD at each location where a lot of taxi's are actually waiting outside as most tourist locations usually do. So 4 from hotel to the first site, 4 to the second site, 4 to the third site, and 4 going back to the hotel will give you a total of 16 USD for the three of us, as opposed to 195 USD if we used the hotel rates. What a rip off! But obviously if you don't want the hassle of looking for a cab, then you might as well let the money talk right?

Wi-Fi

There is free wifi all over the place. Signal is strong at the reception but very weak in the rooms. There are some parts of the room where you can't get into the wifi. I don't know, maybe too much traffic, or just really weak signals from certain parts of the room. I was able to facetime with my sister at one point. But many times I wasn't able to check the internet because of lost signal. If urgent, you could always walk 300 meters to the reception for a better signal.

Ambiance

Over-all ambiance for a 3 star hotel was actually pretty good. It was pretty clean at the reception, although quite small. It didn't smell like a market place and was well lit. I liked that. There was a small room to leave some bags if you want to go out before the actual check-in time. The room was big enough with two queen size beds side by side. There is a small ref which if you set to its highest, really gets cold, and would ice some of those near the freezer. The restroom is small and dated, you cant open the door in full, there's a stop half-way through because the toilet bowl is against its path.

Overall

I'd say it's a livable place, as long as you don't get that room 108 with about 25 mosquitoes waiting to massacre us. But for 145 USD a night, with nothing beside the hotel, inconsistent wifi, itchy bed, and a long walk from the reception. I wouldn't make this my first choice. I'd maybe pick courtleigh, pegasus, or even liguanaue club three of which I've never tried yet, but they are walking distance to a great chinese restaurant, KFC, shopping mall, park, etc. Good luck!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

111 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Jamaica
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Again i am forced to endure this place. After travelling from out of town, we have to encounter Marcus "the front desk clerk" trying to make polite conversation seems futile when he plops down the badly photocopied paper and says fill this out. After completion he gives us keys tells us room number and says here is ur entitlement. We decide not to move and see if we are offered a bellman. After 10 minutes (while he stood there) we get a "dirty" look is there a problem? we ask if its possible to get a bell man, he shakes head and walks off. Someone at the back call him and he says a coming im dealing with some ppl from........... he then goes around back says something and bursts out laughing and says its not funny. The irony is the service here has never been any better. The staff are under no supervision and no one will ever see this review and make move to correct it. With that said marcus is more fitting for back of the house and should never have any guest contact.

Costa Rica
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I attended a meeting at this property. The reception was acceptable, they were expecting me. The room was a good choice because of the size (more expensive), I cannot imagine how the smaller rooms looked. Unfortunately, the best roooms are around the pool and most of the day there are people in the water and at times it gets noisy. The hotel breakfast was not the best option. They offered me 3 or 4 options for breakfast but all of them were rather small and limited. The coffee was good! Two importantes points. First, the taxi driver (van) the hotel uses for customers, the rates charged by the driver are outrageous, be careful! Second, if you are checking out before 6.30 am, make sure you settle your bill and get your invoice the night before, otherwise you will be disappointed early in the morning, only the gate guard is available!!

2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

Had an open mind as I have heard great things about the food.

I was among a group of 5 business travelers, who were unfortunately all very dissatisfied.

The Internet is absolutely horrendous when it works, with speeds below 1mb/s.

My quoted corporate rate was $145 but that did not even include breakfast. I had the same breakfast every morning, but the cost on the bill was different each day.

On the positive side, the rooms in the new wing were very clean with even an elevator. Room amenities were everything a business traveller needs.

The staff was very unprofessional and did not seem to be any supervision.

• Stayed July 2013
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Being at the Hotel Four Seasons Kingston is a visit to a time when hotels were more about service and accommodation than cultivating special effects that will attract restaurant and bar patrons with lots of money in their pockets. Rooms, common areas and the restaurant are clean and pleasant.

I could see that servers could get overwhelmed by the numbers of people in the restaurant. I believe this was part of a larger problem at the management level, as they did not seem to plan to have the human or technical resources available to address the needs of our meeting and that's just a question of poor planning. Meeting rooms could be stuffy and meals and breaks were hard to get coordinated. I would not recommend the hotel for a meeting and despite the website's promotion of it as a site for weddings, I would consider that a highly risky enterprise.

The Four Seasons' greatest accomplishment, I believe, is creating an oasis of calm in the middle of the noise and bustle of New Kingston. You may walk in there wary because you are told there is a panic button in your room (which I never found - how am I going to use it in a panic?), but once you are through the gates it's just gracious staff, a cool inviting room, mango trees heavy with fruit and Caribbean breezes by the pool bar.

One tip: If you have breakfast with your room, you should know that all of the North American breakfasts are tiny. For example, one choice is one egg with two pieces of toast, a slice of cucumber and a slice of carrot with about 4oz of orange juice and tea or coffee. Listing it out that way makes it sound like way more than it is. The smart choice is the "Jamaican Breakfast" which is a plateful of local favourites like ackee and saltfish, fried dumplings, breadfruit, callaloo, and maybe even more. Each plate is a little different.

Norman, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We were here for a conference in June. There was a group of about 30 and we were located in the new section of the hotel - get a room here. Our room was clean, comfortable and the air conditioner worked really well. There were lots of channels on the tv. The room was located on the second floor and fairly soundproof (except for the cat in heat @ 4:30 am). The small pool/spa in the courtyard was big enough for a few of us to swim around and cool off in the heat. The bar adjoins this pool. Security was good and safety was never an issue. The restaurant's food is really good - the coconut crusted snapper was my favorite and my husband liked the steak. Breakfast was also good and there were Jamaican specialties on both menus. Joy, our waitress at breakfast, was a joy and very efficient.
The issue in this hotel was the service at the restaurant in the evening. There are really no other places in the area to eat other than the hotel and the wait from taking our order to finishing the meal one night was three hours. While apologetic, the waiter was poorly trained and confused. This IS a management problem and while the excuse could be that the restaurant was full, isn't that what a manager would want?

Room Tip: Get a room in the new section, not facing the street. The 1st floor rooms open to the courtyard, do...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We sat down for dinner and waited so long that....
Five of us went to bed hungry because of the management of the Hotel.
Mr. O'Conner, Hotel Manager needs to go back to hospitality school.
The prices are high, the service poor, mold in rooms.
Desk is closed 11:00am to 6:30am.
If your in trouble, do not count on Mr. O'Conner to help.

Room Tip: Please choose another hotel in Kingston. The Hotel Four Seasons could care less about your concerns...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Four Seasons? Share your experiences!