“Great place” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Paramaribo
“Great place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2006

I was there in Terra Nova in the beginning of Februari. The room was very nice and comfortable. I really liked it and if i'm going back to Jamaica, Terra Nova will definetely seeme again.
A proud Youth advisor of the UNFPA

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2006

I stayed at the Terra Nova while in Kingston for the Marine Corps Ball, which was held at the hotel. I would have given the Terra Nova a higher rating if the room was cleaner and more up to date. Upon arrival, we were escorted to a room which had a foul odor. Fortunately it was the wrong room (we requested 2 queen beds and the stinky room only had a king). We were moved to an odor-free room with two beds, but the walls and floors were stained, and some updating was defnitely needed. The room was spacious, however, but not a suite. I spent very little time in the room, so it wasn't a huge issue.

The lobby and restaurant were very charming and the tropical grounds were beautiful. The lunchtime and Sunday brunch buffets were tastely. We really enoyed the steel drum band that played outside during brunch. The food served at the Ball was much better, though. The event was held in a facitly adjacent to the hotel. The ballroom was plain, but the patio and gardens were enchanting.

I would stay at the hotel again for the Jamaican ambience. If room condition is important to you, the Pegasus has much nicer rooms for similar rates. But the Pegasus is just like any other hotel in any other city. If you visit Kingston, take caution using credit cards. I paid for my room with a Visa Check Card and returned home to find out that someone got a hold of the number and charged $1,000 on it. I used the card at the Terra Nova and only one other place. An Embassy official said this happened to someone else who stayed at the same hotel recently. I would suggest traveler's checks, but am not sure if they accept them. Despite this incident, which is not uncommon in Jamaica, I had a great time and enjoyed my stay at the Terra Nova.

• Stayed November 2005
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2005

I stayed with my wife and adult daughter at the Terra Nova in August 2005. As this was at the end of a two-month visit (yes, two months, all over Jamaica!) we have the advantage of being able to compare it with many other places. The Terra Nova was one of our highlights, the other being Trident Villas in Portland. Terra Nova has a long-established reputation in Kingston. It is a high quality and well-appointed hotel, well managed and very clean. The only anomoly is that it is not "all-suite" as advertised: we three adults were offered one room, not a suite, but it was quite acceptable. For the benefit of gamblers, a casino is right next door, but under separate management.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2005

I arrived at the hotel on May 26th and was very ill so I had ordered room service (basically water and juice). After a while of resting, I felt better and started to enjoy the hotel. When I returned to the room, I noticed that there were very small bugs crawling around my bed. I went downstairs and was helped by a young lady. I explained to her my concerns and she sent someone up to the room to spray as she thought they were tiny gnats. She said that this was normal in Jamaica due to the humidity and if they sprayed my room, there would be no issues.

I returned to the room and noticed that the bugs had diminished. When I awoke in the morning, my bed was full of the same bug. I explained my situation again to management, one of which came up to my room with me to investigate and they determined that I had ants in my bed all night. There weren't any gnats. They both explained it was because I had eaten in my room. Essentially they said that this was my fault and it was normal to have ants in my bed if I had eaten in my room. This doesn't make sense to me as why would you allow room service if this were the case.

After writing to the management, I received no response and no return to my phone calls.

• Stayed May 2005
Miami
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2005

After thoroughly researching all the hotels in the Kingston area and asking friends and business connections who frequent the area for their opinion, my family decided to book at the Terranova All Suites Hotel during a weekend stay in Kingston. I had also previous reviews on TripAdvisor which gave rave reviews of the hotel. The hotels website looks wonderful compared to the rest of the "business style" hotels in the area. We were looking for something with charm & a true Jamaican experience.

This hotel prides itself on being one of the best hotels in the area; an "all suite hotel". We had booked 3 rooms. None if which were suites. They were all rundown. Nothing better than a 2 star hotel. Our room was infested with ants. The carpets were seriously worn. The bathroom was old. If you used your two towels; you were not given new towels until late the next afternoon.

I had asked for a pen to fill out a Mother's Day card and the front desk told me they have one pen for the entire hotel. There were private functions at the pool (across a small street) so it was pretty much closed the first 2 days of our stay. On their site it shows a pool bar where you can get a light lunch - that has since been shutdown.

On Mother's Day, we were forced to have the full formal brunch as they would not serve us any other food in the hotel - no room service, no snacks, etc until 6 p.m.

I must say, however, that the open-air dining room was enchanting and the food was very good. The wait staff was wonderful and extremely helpful. A great place to have lunch or dinner.

I would not recommend the TerraNova if you are looking for a luxury hotel with amenities.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2005

The Terra Nova is a beautiful hotel. The ambiance and delicious food make for an enjoyable stay.

Been to Terra Nova All Suite Hotel? Share your experiences!