“Rustic but convenient” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Whitfield Hall

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kingston
Whitfield Hall
Save Saved
You added Whitfield Hall to your Saves list
Blue Mountains, Kingston, Jamaica   |
new hamburg
“Rustic but convenient”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

My recommendation on this property is to triple check your reservation and call before you leave to drive up. Communication and organisation is not their strong suit. They are geared for single night stays that are only intended to be a starting point for the hike up to the peak.

My Husband and I stayed with a friend at Whitfield Hall in order to climb Blue Mountain peak. I was prepared for simple amenities, but not for the lack of organisation. We arrived to be told that we did not have a reservation and that there was no room for us. As it was late, I was rather concerned that we had no other options. The staff onsite made accommodations for us and it worked out in the end. The food is decent and filling if somewhat over priced for the quality. The facilities are clean and the coffee is SPECTACULAR. We had reserved the Col Whitfield room, but arrived to find it had been given to someone else. We stayed in what must be private quarters off the kitchen. The lack of electricity and hot water is not a concern for me personally as I am usually too warm and am comfortable with kerosene lamplight. Loud partying immediately next to our room made it difficult to sleep. As my friend put it, they are not serious about the hospitality business.

When we arrived back home I found an email had been sent cancelling our original reservation, claiming we had not followed up. As we had already started our trip when the email was sent to me, I did not know they had cancelled my reservation. This confusion soured what was otherwise a good stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Somewhere Cold
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

I stayed at Whitfield Hall overnight as I planned to hike to the peak of the Blue Mountains. It was about a 3 hour drive from Kingston. The drive there is not for the faint at heart, very bumpy and extremely narrow at times. The lodge itself is no frills - no electricity, no hot water. The rooms were clean, simple and sparse. Given that we arrived at about 7pm and planned to start our hike at 2:30 am (in order to get to the peak by sunrise), we had minimal needs. The cooked prepared a delicious and filling dinner (this was requested in advance for an additional amount) and we ate by the dim lights of a a kerosene lamp. There was a library and games if you sought to spend some leisure time on site. After we completed our hike the next morning we returned to a large breakfast (also available at an additional cost).

Overall, the lodge was great value for the cost. If you you are planning on hiking the Blue Mountain this is a good location to start from. Also to note, this is a working coffee plantation, so it was a real treat to have coffee in the morning that was produced on the grounds.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

We stayed at Whitfield Hall Hostel as part of our tour via Sun Venture Tours to hike the Blue Mountain Easter weekend 2012. It took roughly 2/1/2 hours to get there from New Kingston and what a bumpy ride! It really is a place of beautiful solitude. Peaceful environment, that offers a sense of calm. Love the huge Eucalyptus trees at the entrance. Clean fresh air. The hostel itself is quite rustic, no electricity, a fire place, and kerosene oil lamps. We got a room to ourselves with 4 bunk style beds. After a long flight and that bumpy ride it wasn’t too hard to pass out. We ordered dinner and got served up delicious chicken, rice and peas, fresh and steamed vegetables as well as potatoes and yams. It was so much, we couldn’t eat it all off! I decided to take a shower and it is super cold mountain water! The resident dog followed us and guide all the way to the mountain-that was cute. We hung out with other campers during the evening, people from all over the world. We had breakfast on returning from our hike which was good also. We met Ms. Lynette (might be the owner) in the morning after our hike, very nice lady. I must thank the staff for the lovely meal especially for making me tea (Everton) at 1a.m before my hike begun. It was also just nice sitting around chit chatting with the staff. Overall an okay place to stay if going hiking in the Blue Mountains or just want to get away from it all and be at one with nature.

Room Tip: It gets a tad chilly at nights so bring a sweater-remember you are in the mountains.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2011

This last weekend was my forth stay at Whitfield Hall under a variety of circumstances. All of thes visits were memorable. The first and third visits, I stayed in the Col. Whitfiled room. It is a simple room, but a must if you want to enjoy private time with your "special other". The second time I visited, I just needed to park there and have lunch after ascending the peak.

The third time I visited, I was with a large group that camped out on the lovely front picnic area. The rain and wind spoiled our campfire and the best efforts of the staff to assist in helping start our fire failed and we retreated into the lovely, cozy, lodge hall. We forked out the 300 Jamaican dollars to start a fire in the fireplace and commenced a late nite of dominoes and rum in the warmth of the fire. We gave late notice on the descent from the peak that we would want lunch. They did not have enough chicken for the short notice lunch and the price was adjusted without asking. They were accomadating of vegetarian dietaty needs for group members.

This last weekend we camped out again in the beautiful picnic area. I had the best coat curry ever cooked by Ms. Lynette. The normal route to Whitfield Hall (2 hour drive from Kingston) was closed and Mr. Algrove called me twice on my cell phone to check on my progress to the lodge and make sure I was on the right route (4 hour drive from Kingston).

In all of my stays, everyone was treated with respect regardless of whether they were camping or staying in the "Col Whitfield Room". They responded to out of the normal requests and always met the requirement.

If you want to get "off the grid" and experience rural and historic Jamaica, this is the place to go. Make sure you call ahead of time to make arrangements and order meals - they have to bring the food from over an hour away. Make sure you get a quote on the price and settle with Ms. Lynette. Do not judge the weather in Kingston with the weather at Whitffield Hall or the peak. The Blue Mountain has a unique ecosystem and it will probably involve rain - thats why they call it the Blue Mountains (due to the clouds).

BTW - I checked fitness center in the reviews because you will have a primal workout walking in the surrounding hills.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2011

I stayed at Whitfield Hall in December 2010 and hiked to the peak of Blue Mountain. The hostel was built in 1776. It is very quiet place surrounded by huge 230 years old eucalyptus trees. People who take care of the hostel are really kind, quiet, reliable, and honest. You can just relax and spend time without TV, advertisements, internet, etc. It is a real gem in Jamaica and we are so thankful that we found this place. Also you can request meals with cheap price. They will cook an authentic Jamaican food in mountain area for you. Red bean soup with dumpling and yum is really yummy! The lady who is handling the reservation at Kingston sounds little bit grumpy, but PLEASE don’t give up this place because of her. The hall and people who live there are really nice!
We think this place is much cooler than beach area. No harassing by street vendors at all. If you are not a big fan of tourism, Whitfield hall is the place to visit and stay for a week.
We will visit there again definitely. Thank Tiger and his family. Please keep this place alive for us. Peace.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2010

Do you have a 200 year old restored building/museum in your home town? You know how they smell? Well, Whitfield Hall smells exactly like that! It was like spending a night at the museum! Too cool, if you like that sort of thing! No electricity, no hot water, smoke from a million fires on the ceiling, Tilley lamps after dark. And, of course, being a coffee estate, the best campfire coffee ever!! The supper and Jamaican heavy breakfast were rustic and fried, but tasted great! Your traditional Jamaican favourites, fried chicken, rice and peas, johnny cakes, salt fish, fried plantain - yum! The Colonel Whitfield room was exactly as represented on the website. Tiny and rustic. The bed was very lumpy, and the pillows rather thin. But we were only sleeping till 2am, so who cared!

We drove our gutless 2wd Toyota Yaris up to Mavis Bank (stopped a few times to confirm we were on the right road) took about an hour from Papine. Parked at the Police Station (used the washroom!). Were met only half an hour late (Jamaican time) by a 4wd Toyota to go the remaining few miles at about 10kmh, extremely bumpy - I was worn out by the time we reached the Hall, about another hour later.

Had a nice walk on the estate and up and down the road, but whose kidding, we were there for the walk to the summit, and that`s what we did! In 6 hours, 45 mins. Not bad for oldies! Cloud on the summit as usual, too bad!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Worcs
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2010

Getting to Whitfield Hall was an adventure in itself; the road from Mavis Bank is 4 wheel drive only, dirt with occasional tarmac, hair pin bends and glorious views over the hills and valleys. We stayed in the Cottage, a simple but comfortable cabin with kitchen, bathroom and two bedrooms, within walking distance of the Hall. There is no electricity but the Tilley Lamps are very efffective. We had dinner in the Hall, which was excellent, and enjoyed the company of the other guests around the enormous log fire. We were up at 2am for the climb to the summit, arriving just at sunrise, which was magnificent. The path is steep in places, rocky in others but well defined and goes through beautiful countryside. We had lunch at the Hall on our return which was again very tasty. The staff were really friendly and helpful and were as shocked as we were when we discovered our binoculars had been taken from the locked cottage. One of those things which happens anywhere but just be aware of your posssessions.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Whitfield Hall? Share your experiences!