“Central and comfortable. Does the trick.” 4 of 5 stars

Liguanea Club
Knutsford Boulevard, New Kingston | Kingston 5, Jamaica, Kingston, Jamaica   |
Ranked #6 of 22 hotels in Kingston
Surfers Paradise, Australia
“Central and comfortable. Does the trick.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Stayed 3 nights at $98 including taxes. Room 9 which was on the first floor above reception. Spacious room with large king size bed, TV, table and chair and separate sofa chair. Comfortable sleep with both ceiling fan and aircon. Spacious modern bathroom although shower nozzle a little temperamental and it took a whole for the hot water to come thru. Daily clean. Door opened onto verandah overlooking garden / breakfast area. Free WIFi worked perfectly in room and all other areas. Breakfast included and a reasonable selection with unlimited coffee. Restaurant also open for lunch and dinner. Very central location in New Kingston and a 3 minute walk to KFC, Burger King, service station and other food outlets. Interesting walking the streets after dark but felt safe enough. Nice relaxed setting for breakfast and a number of sofas to sit and chill in if needed. This is a pretty solid option with a good overall feel in a city where accommodation can be pricey. Only issue would be the hall way light outside the room which illuminates the room at night as you can not close the glassed in ventilation slats. So if you need a dark environment to get a good nights sleep then would be an idea to bring something to cover the eyes. Reception and restaurant staff were both friendly and efficient. Suitable for a short or longer term stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

77 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Hello and greetings. I stayed at The Liguanea Club for the 1st time during the week of pre-Easter holiday and during THE holiday itself. I will DEFINITELY stay again! Originally, I had planned to stay at the Wyndham but had my reservation cancelled due to an unfortunate fire that happened there.

I was so stressed out about where I was going to stay. The other surrounding hotels were either booked up or way out of my price range. Through a friend I heard about Liguanea. I was very hesitant because I had never heard of this place and even though it stated on a map I googled that it was literally right across the street from Wyndham, I hadn't seen it during my last visit to Jamaica when I stayed at the Wyndham.

After seeing the excellent price for a weeks stay I booked. I was pleasantly surprised once I got there (I was expecting the worse!). The hotel rooms aren't modern (and that was fine with me) but they are more than comfortable. I highly enjoyed my entire stay there. The staff was great. I got up every morning to have breakfast and even got to play a little bit of tennis with the members who came to play daily.

My only small complaint would be to switch up the meals, particularly the breakfast portion of the menu. I prefer when I'm visiting Jamaica to see a menu with various Jamaican dishes being offered instead of so much American food. Also, for breakfast there's only one option for Jamaican breakfast and every day it was the same, callaloo and saltfish or ackee and saltfish. I think maybe at least adding a traditional liver or even breadfruit would be great. Overall the food was very good and it helped that breakfast was included (up to $500 JD) in my overall cost to stay.
P.S. I'm a female and I felt very safe too!

I AM DEFINITELY STAYING AT THE LIGUANEA CLUB AGAIN AND LOOKING FORWARD TO IT! SEE YOU SOON.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Old Harbour, Saint Catherine, Jamaica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I did my first review of Liguanea Club a year ago, after coming across the hotel I was curious to check it out as I had been pass there a million times but had no idea that it was also a hotel. After my first visit, I have returned back a few times. My first visit was April 2012, followed by June 2012, November 2012 and my last visit this month April 2013. I have now stayed in all the different types of rooms that they have, The suite, The tennis court and the main room. I have also now eaten at their restaurant and feel that I can give a more helpful review, as I also depend on Tripadvisor for honest reviews.

If you are wondering what kind of room you should get, or need here are a few things that I have learned.
The suites: Are almost a mini apartment, they offer maxim privacy and are located in the far end of the complex. They come with a small refrigerator and microwave. The bedroom also has a door, if you need to divide the space from the living room area. ( Great if you happen to have another person staying with you.
The tennis court: These rooms overlook the huge tennis court and are very spacious, they DO NOT come with a refrigerator or microwave but I found the space to be more roomy than the suite and the bathroom was also a lot bigger.
The main room: I would say this room would be good for a female that is traveling alone, or someone that would like to have a sense of security and feeling more safe. You enter the rooms through the front desk area, so if you are the worried time this may be the room for you. Again they DO NOT come with a refrigerator or microwave, as you will only find this in the suites. However all rooms come with a small cooler for ice or water and a few glasses. I can not tell you if you can get ice from the staff, as I have never asked. The rooms in the main room are the smallest out of the rest but offer a lot of closet space. The bathroom was set up a little different, it has a sliding glass wrap around door and also had a balcony. The balcony was a lot smaller but serves the propose, when looking outside from the balcony you will see the basketball court, playground, pool and the dinning area. You will also be able to see some of the other hotels as Liguanea Club is only a stone throw away from Wyndham, Pegasus and Courtleigh.

I noticed online that it states you receive a free breakfast, I don't know if this is something new or not so during my last visit I had breakfast. The Free breakfast covers $500 JA and everything of the menu is $500 or less so really the only thing you would have to cover would be for juice ($200 JA) or if you were to get extra's added to the meal. I most be honest by saying that the food was just ok, edible but nothing award winning. The service was wonderful and it was great to eat outside and enjoy the scenery.

My last visit April 2013 was the first and only time that I could find anything negative to say about Liguanea and this is why I voted 4 and not 5 as I did on my last review. One reviewer made a comment about loud music, we had that issue on Saturday night but In no way do i blame the hotel for that because the music was not being played on the grounds. As we were out and about that music was coming from a club or bar and although the music was not extremely loud, the bass makes the music amplify and yes it was a little disrupting. Liguanea Club has no control over that, so I will not hold that against them.

I was surprised how unprofessional the ladies were at the front desk. Again this is a first for me because every other time I have came there, the gentleman that assisted me was very friendly and courteous However as I walked to the front desk, I was not greeted or even acknowledged not even a simple head nod meanwhile. As I stood there for 5-10 minutes she continued her personal phone call full of sus *gossiping* to a friend about personal stuff. She finally end her call with I guess I'm coming off the phone now so I will text you back on the Whats App.
If this was a hotel that I had never stayed at, I would have walked out and left but because I really like Liguanea , It was not a deal breaker for me. Moving forward to checkout, this is another female working at the front desk and she too was all about the passa passa, no care that I wanted to check out. After giving her my key I did not hear a single word, No thank You, Have a great day, I guess she was eager to finish her sus.
All the other staff members were great and friendly, The waiters and waitresses, maids and security guards.

Again Liguanea Club is in New Kingston, so you won't find any problems finding entertainment, relaxation or a meal. Here are a few of places to eat that are walking distance KFC, Burger King, Juici Patties, Pizza Hut, Island Grill and although Yao Chinese had a bad write up in the paper, I must say that their food is good, portions were large and the price was reasonable.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
surrey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

I did not stay in the rooms here, but went for lunch.... It was great, the menuwas good and reasonably priced. I recommened the fish and chips, I know it was a terribly British thing to do, but it was well worth it. Their fish was snapper and delicious... The bill for2 main dishes, 1 beer, 2 cocktails and a shared desert to my surprise was £16.50. The atmosphere was business like but relaxed and friendly

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Chattanooga, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with the USA Rugby South Team while we competed against the Jamaicain National team. Great price for the service that you get. Any time of sports team staying in the Kingston area should stay here.

• Stayed February 2013
Wherever
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

Introduction: this review is based on a two-week stay in November 2012 and a subsequent one week stay in December 2012. These comments are for a Deluxe Suite (#33). These are in a separate block – as are most of the rooms - which meant that you have to go outside to reach the reception and dining areas. OK most of the time but not when it is raining!

The James Bond reference is because the Club was used as the Queen’s Club which features at the beginning of Dr. No. The places where the bridge game took place and where Strangways was shot can be readily identified.

Location: the club in situated in New Kingston opposite the Wyndham, Courtleigh and Pegasus hotels and close to Emancipation Park. There are many restaurants within easy walking distance ranging from international chains (KFC, Burger King and Pizza Hut) to “hole in the wall” local ones.

Facilities: the club has a bar, large pool; large gym and several squash and tennis courts. There are other activities taking place keep-fit; bridge etc., but I am not sure if guests can take part in them.

Oasis: although separated from the traffic a “quiet oasis” is not how I would describe it! You can hear the traffic on the very busy main road in front of the Club. There are vehicles driving through the site but the most annoying thing is the constant noise from neighbouring generators or air-conditioning plants. These are obviously outside of the control of the club and can usually be masked by the room air-conditioning which is loud! Unless you like being woken by early morning tennis, try to get a room which is not next to the tennis courts! The base notes from the “pop concerts” in Emancipation Park make the whole building shake and cannot be masked even by the a/c. I hate selfishness such as this – it is perfectly possible to have loud music without disturbing the whole neighbourhood by proper adjustment of the base tones.

Living Area: this was quite narrow and had the front door in it. There were also two chairs (although I moved one into the bedroom to watch TV) a table, ‘fridge and microwave. Apart from two glasses there was no crockery, knives and forks etc. There was a large tub of ice cubes replaced daily. There was a small shop in the reception area. Although mainly a sports shop it did sell the odd snack. Better for this was the shop in a nearby garage. An excellent supermarket was ten minutes’ walk away.

Bedroom: a large room with a massive bed but little other furniture! The table is the wrong height for using a laptop giving me a crick in my neck with any extended use. There is a telephone, ceiling fan and air-conditioner and cable TV with six sport channels featuring live UK and European football; cricket and assorted North American sports. There were also film channels and NatGeo and Discovery.

Bathroom: the bathroom was large with a fair size bath and a shower with excellent water pressure. There were the usual micro-bars of soap but no shampoo – so bring your own.

WIFI: there was WIFI in the room but it was very “in and out” – not working at all on my last day. Frequently Internet Explorer would not work although Chrome usually was OK when the connection was there. However, do not expect to be able to upload or download files of any size. Jamaica uses US style plugs and has 110v electricity. This meant that whilst my laptop functioned my phone charger did not. So, be aware and bring any necessary adaptors etc.

Food: breakfast was included in my room rate and was fine. It is served outside – sitting under a mango tree at the coolest time of day was very pleasant. There was a choice of American Breakfast (eggs, bacon etc.) or Jamaican – both of which were fine with excellent local coffee. The only problem is that service was frequently very slow. Nominally starting at 7am it often took well over 30 minutes (once even 1 ½ hours, fortunately this was on a Sunday – I was told that the chef’s bus had been in an accident!) which if you have early morning appointments can cause problems.

The lunch and dinner menu is varied, good and cheap – certainly when compared to the three hotels over the road.

There is a good bar.

Be aware that the bar and restaurant did not function on the Sunday evening of my arrival which was a problem as on my first visit as I did not know where the local restaurants were located. I am not sure if I was unlucky or this is always the case on Sundays.

Local Transport: reception would call local taxis which usually came quickly and are quite reliable but it does help to know the right rates. J$350 or so for local trips and J$500 downtown. Traffic is very bad during the “rush hour” – morning, lunchtime and evening. So, allow plenty of time to get where you are going.

Airport Transfers: for this I used Clive Transport which I booked on line. It is pricey – US$60 for two people – but was completely reliable. Having your name held up on arrival in a fairly chaotic strange airport is always reassuring. Plus you can have your first “Red Stripe” beer as part of the transfer process!

Summary: it is an interesting place to stay and gives you the flavour of a bye-gone age. However, the WIFI and getting breakfast on time problems mean that it is only a “marginal” destination if in Kingston for an intensive business schedule. One of the “modern, western-style” hotels will probably be better for you.

Room Tip: Avoid ones next to the tennis courts.