“Needs upgrading” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 22 Hotels in Kingston
Trinidad
“Needs upgrading”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

Very nice ambiance, but when I compared my room to my colleagues who stayed as well, there was a vast difference. My room clearly was the "older Courtleigh" and theirs was the refurbished one. I was a bit upset that the cost of both rooms was the same.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Polish first
FL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2011

I hear ya about the icy air. Luckily I had two beds so I stole the sheet and spread from the other bed. Was on the 9th floor. When it's windy it sounds like screaming, LOUD screaming. NO WAY anybody could sleep up there. Then there's the elevator. My room was near it and it sounded like rolling thunder Each and Every time someone used it. By this point, it was comical. I checked in very late at night and was leaving early in the morning, so I lay there talking to myself saying, "they're getting offffffff, NOW.... noooo, NOW.... noooo NoW...." PS The black out curtains don't extend all the way to the edges of the windows, so lots of light comes in early in morning. No joke, to deal with the noise I built a tower of pillows on my head. At SOME point I fell asleep, just in time for my alarm to go off.

Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

Kingston is not a tourism destination, and as such hotel offer there lags way behind other places in the country such as Montego Bay.
I was here on business and was told that this is one of the few good places in town, and indeed I was pleased with the service and the hotel itself. The room is comfortable though a bit outdated, but very well cleaned, so is the bathroom. The only complaint I had was that the aircon was too cold, and there was not a single blanket in the room to stand the freeze.
Breakfast was plentiful though not remarkable (the cakes were good!). The best thing in the hotel was the barbecue food (I guess they do this on Wednesdays), which was really good and rather cheap. Service was slow as there were plenty of diners.
I'd stay here again when I come back.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

I originally called to book a room and was rerouted to their partner hotel the Knutsford Court due to the lack of availability at this location. I decided to book online and was provided with a one bedroom suite upgrade. I was very impressed with the quality of service. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. I found the room charming and spacious although the view was less than impressive. The property is in the midst of renovations, as is the Knutsford Court. I almost went crazy with the smell of oil paint throughout my room. It was very strong and was nauseating. Over all the location is amazing the room was pleasurable and the staff was wonderful so I am trying to overlook the renovations aspect. I actually stayed at 5 hotels during my stay in Jamaica and loved the room and service the best of all stays.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
St Vincent and the Grenadines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2011

The suite in which I stayed was great value. The bathroom needs a makeover, however I found out that the hotel is in the process of upgrading them. The bed was extremely comfortable and there was a newish flat screen in the bedroom.
The wireless internet service needs work though as I had to log in everytime I left the computer for an hour.
The continental breakfast was quite good and the lobby and dining areas, beautifully laid out and welcoming.
The service was a little stiff and robotic at times. Hotels need to encourage their staff to just relax, be friendly and be themselves, sometimes. Smile more and be very welcoming to their guests. It goes a long way in encouraging repeat business.

Room Tip: Get a suite
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Bermuda
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2011

Best Service, Best Food, Best Location!

I have stayed there for 4 years strtaight and they continue to strive and know me my name!

great Job Courtleigh!

Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Sheffielduk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2011

Stayed at this hotel after other good reviews on Tripadvisor. Paid the extra for a top floor suite but on exiting the elevator we were greeted by a really tremendous rumbling from what I presume to be the air-con machinery on the hotel roof. The room was nice but still very noisy and the hotel were quick to show us another room on a lower floor. This room was not as nice ( but would have been cheaper) and now that we were suspicious of the air-conditionong we checked this first. The fan seemed very weak so we decided to go back to the original room. During all this the hotel staff remained smiley, helpful, and were patient with us.
This is otherwise an efficient hotel with delightful staff. It is probably good as a business hotel but the swimming pool area is not attractive and I'm afraid it doesn't really cut it as a high end option. Booking through the website was impossible from the UK and emails were not answered promptly. In the end I had to phone.
The restaurant was only OK despite the enthusiasm of other entries under the Restaurant section of Tripadvisor

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Courtleigh Hotel and Suites? Share your experiences!