“Thorougly enjoyed my time there” 4 of 5 stars

The Jamaica Pegasus Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   81 Knutsford Boulevard, Kingston Kingston 5, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #8 of 22 Hotels in Kingston
“Thorougly enjoyed my time there”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I stayed at The Pegasus for ten days in July 2013. It is undergoing renovations and can be a bit noisy at times, but the management tell you that and the noise level is not too bad. The hotel is wonderful, the staff excellent, friendly, helpful and always wiling to go that bit further to ensure you get what you want. It was extremely busy as the other hotel ( The Wyndham) is no longer in use due to a fire) so the Pegasus has had to take up the slack. The restaurant has a limited dinner menu, but they have started to put extras on each day. The breakfasts were very busy until about 07.15 then spaces appear. By this time the staff are already hard worked. The 24 hour cafe is very useful (try the Marlin Bagel with Cream Cheese, they are wonderful) and the new bar is very good. I had one of the suites and it was kept clear and aired. Overall I really enjoyed my stay there and would recommend it to all. The only thing I would criticise is the air conditioning, especially in the gym, it lacks power and has to be kept on constantly to have any effect but do not let this put you off. The pool is clean and the service there is very good. I had a good time there and will hopefully be going again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Peter H, General Manager at The Jamaica Pegasus Hotel, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Thank you for your commentary. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and that you generally found the services met your level of expectation.
We look forward to welcoming you back home on your next visist to Jamaica.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I stayed here for 5 nights on business in May. On arrival I was allocated a room that was dirty (very scummy table) and faced a busy road - despite asking for a quieter room. When I queried with the Check-in Manager, she initially told me that was the last room in the hotel. I queried that this was not credible. When I fedback to the General Manager (from Dublin), she told him that there was another room in the price bracket. I was readily given this and it was a good room on the otherside of the hotel. Clean and well furnished.
Not sure why she consistently tried to fob me off, and I was not impressed.

Generally, the restaurant was fine and it was hard to find any decent places in walking distance. The BBQ by the pool on Tuesday was good value and fun. WiFi was quick and reliable. Shop in the basement was helpful. Overall, the place is in need of renovations and these are ongoing.

Room Tip: Be very clear with them if you want a quieter room. The ones away from the pool are quieter.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Peter H, General Manager at The Jamaica Pegasus Hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write. We are indeed in the midst of an extensive renovation program which will encompass every public area of the hotel including the bedrooms and bathrooms.
It is a pity that your arrival and room allocation experience were not up to the usual high personal standard that we are endeavoring to instill in our Front Desk team, but I am nevertheless please that generally you enjoyed The Jamaica Pegasus.
Durham, North Carolina, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I stayed in this hotel in 6/2013. It is clean and elegant, but could use a facelift. The rooms were average; as stated in other reviews, the hotel could use some modernization (for example, the iron in my room was one of the heavy old ones that my grandmother used to have). I had a problem with the water pressure in my toilet, and when I called maintenance, the fellow responded in less than 5 minutes. We spent some time poolside, and this area is very nice. The hotel is downtown, and is across from Emancipation Park.

The restaurant, however, is a different story: My party of 7 waited 2 hours for food. As we looked around the dining room, we realized that no one else was eating either. The staff never communicated a problem to us and offered no explanation. Some people got up and left, and I would have done the same, if my kids weren't with me. The hostess felt so sorry for us that she brought out our dessert before the meal. We had to ask for water or bread. The appetizers were never served, and we were fairly miserable with hunger by the time the food arrived. The manager came around towards the end of the meal and asked how everything was. When I complained about the wait, she said "Yes, I'm sorry", but offered no explanation. This staff needs to learn a thing or two about customery service and service recovery! However, 3 days later, when there was a convention at the hotel, my mother ate there again and was served within 10 minutes. I'm not sure why the service was so much better that night. Fortunately, there is a cafe in the lobby that serves nice sandwiches and paninis, smoothies, soups and wonderful desserts. Their service is great.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Detroit
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I will begin with the positives: the common areas and meeting spaces are nice; and the pool, with fountain and pool side service is relaxing. The rooms were cleaned well (someone said they noticed that two people cleaned each room). The food was also good and it was very convenient that the café stayed open 24 hours (be sure to try to the pot pie and the carrot cake).

That said, now for the bad: the room furnishings left much to be desired. I've stayed in better accommodated budget hotels. The furnishings looked like they had not be changed since the 70s. The toilet squeaked every time someone sat on it. And, I had to pay $5.88 to use the business center for the sole purpose of printing my boarding pass!

While I encountered a few staff who were pleasant and cordial, by and large the staff acted as though assisting people was an imposition. The worst offender was the manager! I made my reservation in March (I was part of a large conference that booked up most of the hotel space in Kingston--the governor even jokingly complained). Upon check in, I was advised that I did not have a reservation. The woman to whom I was directed for assistance, said I must have made the reservation at another hotel. I assured her I had not. She then asked for a confirmation number, which much to dismay, I inadvertently left. I recalled that it began with a 7 to which she responded that their numbers never start with 7, so I didn't make the reservation there. She then casually said we are booked. When asked about cancellations, she claimed they wouldn't know until after 11pm (it was just after 3pm).

Thank God for our group travel agent, Ms. Rankin, she had a listing of all reservations made, and mine was there with my confirmation # that began with a 7. It seems that when I changed my arrival to a later date it somehow did not get recorded and my reservation was cancelled when I did not show. Ms. Rankin and her assistant, told me to sit tight they would work something out. By 6pm they had a room freed up by a cancellation. The woman who had "assisted" me prior did not seem pleased when directed to transfer the room to me. She called another staff person who struggled for over 20 minutes trying to transfer the room only to discover, it required a managers override. When asked, who is the manager, he surprisingly said, the woman who sent you to me!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for allowing me to talk to you today by phone and for accepting my explanation and apology for the manner in which your situation was handled.
I am very pleased that in general you were happy with your stay with us in the Nation's Capital and I look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.
Regards.

Travelers are raving about these Kingston hotels

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I stayed at this hotel in early June, 2013. This was my second stay at the Pegasus and was also a business trip. This time around, the wireless worked much better than my previous stay in 2012. The food at the restaurant was also good. I didn't have any complaints about the meals - I had breakfast daily and tried the lunch buffet on a few occasions. The rooms and much of the premises have been in need of an upgrade for several years. I'm not sure why this isn't being prioritized and done quickly. So my complaint? I accidentally left a napkin on my bed during my rush to leave one morning, only to return at night to pull back the neatly made covers and see the exact napkin still there (this despite a request at the front desk to change my linens). Clearly housekeeping could pay greater attention to detail. Other problems - the showers need replacing, they just don't work well and the water temperature is also an issue.

All in all, the hotel needs an upgrade and I am sure management is aware of this.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to pen your comments following your recent stay.
We are indeed in the midst of an extensive renovation - one that will touch every area of the property over the next two years. This does include the bedrooms and bathrooms as you correctly noted in your commentary.
Your housekeeping incident, I believe was a once-off situation, as we are very proud of the general standards within this department. Your statement nevertheless has been taken seriously and is presently being used in our on-going training within that department.
I look forward to welcoming you back to Kingston and personally showing you the improvements we have made since this last visit.
Miami Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

This hotel exceeded expectations.

While it is not a new hotel, my room seemed to be renovated and carpets in the corridor seemed brand new - and smelt new also.

Bath & body toiletries, new bath tub and finishes.

The service was good, but expect a long checkout process.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Peter H, General Manager at The Jamaica Pegasus Hotel, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Thank you for your kind words. We are constantly striving not only to meet but also exceed our guests' expectations and your comments are important to our achieving that goal.
We are adding an additional checkout terminal at our desk within the next 10 days so the check out process should be faster.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Kingston on your next visit to Jamaica.
Albany, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Normally, my company uses the Spanish Court hotel, but since the Wyndham Hotel fire, hotel rooms are at a premium and the Spanish Court was fully booked. So our only option was the Pegasus. I stayed 9 nights on a business trip. I understand the hotel is undergoing renovations and have heard that some of the rooms have already been renovated, but I didn't get one. First the good things about this hotel: it's safe, it's clean, the bath products are good quality, the gym is nice, the pool is lovely, the breakfast buffet was delicious and the staff are professional and friendly (with the exception of one member of the waitstaff during breakfast). The disappointing (of course, the outdated furniture, carpet and decor is being updated, but it wasn't that much of a bother to me): many things were broken in my room: the sliding door to the balcony was so badly rusted that I could not lock it on my own and had to call someone to lock it. After that I was never able to use the balcony again because it was just too much of a pain to ask someone to lock it each time. The telephone chord was broken, so I had to push the chord into the handset in order to make a call. Other than breakfast, the lunch and dinner options were just ok. Only one lamp in my room worked, so at night the room was very dim and difficult to work in. The safe broke and held my items hostage until a member of staff was able to break into it and then replace the door. I had two beds in my room, but only one was comfortable enough to sleep on. For what it is, it's not a terrible choice, but it wouldn't be my first.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room.
Respectfully

Been to The Jamaica Pegasus Hotel? Share your experiences!