“Great Meeting Spaces, But Rooms and Staff No So Great” 2 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   81 Knutsford Boulevard, Kingston Kingston 5, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #8 of 22 Hotels in Kingston
Detroit
“Great Meeting Spaces, But Rooms and Staff No So Great”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I will begin with the positives: the common areas and meeting spaces are nice; and the pool, with fountain and pool side service is relaxing. The rooms were cleaned well (someone said they noticed that two people cleaned each room). The food was also good and it was very convenient that the café stayed open 24 hours (be sure to try to the pot pie and the carrot cake).

That said, now for the bad: the room furnishings left much to be desired. I've stayed in better accommodated budget hotels. The furnishings looked like they had not be changed since the 70s. The toilet squeaked every time someone sat on it. And, I had to pay $5.88 to use the business center for the sole purpose of printing my boarding pass!

While I encountered a few staff who were pleasant and cordial, by and large the staff acted as though assisting people was an imposition. The worst offender was the manager! I made my reservation in March (I was part of a large conference that booked up most of the hotel space in Kingston--the governor even jokingly complained). Upon check in, I was advised that I did not have a reservation. The woman to whom I was directed for assistance, said I must have made the reservation at another hotel. I assured her I had not. She then asked for a confirmation number, which much to dismay, I inadvertently left. I recalled that it began with a 7 to which she responded that their numbers never start with 7, so I didn't make the reservation there. She then casually said we are booked. When asked about cancellations, she claimed they wouldn't know until after 11pm (it was just after 3pm).

Thank God for our group travel agent, Ms. Rankin, she had a listing of all reservations made, and mine was there with my confirmation # that began with a 7. It seems that when I changed my arrival to a later date it somehow did not get recorded and my reservation was cancelled when I did not show. Ms. Rankin and her assistant, told me to sit tight they would work something out. By 6pm they had a room freed up by a cancellation. The woman who had "assisted" me prior did not seem pleased when directed to transfer the room to me. She called another staff person who struggled for over 20 minutes trying to transfer the room only to discover, it required a managers override. When asked, who is the manager, he surprisingly said, the woman who sent you to me!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Peter H, General Manager at The Jamaica Pegasus Hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you for allowing me to talk to you today by phone and for accepting my explanation and apology for the manner in which your situation was handled.
I am very pleased that in general you were happy with your stay with us in the Nation's Capital and I look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.
Regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I stayed at this hotel in early June, 2013. This was my second stay at the Pegasus and was also a business trip. This time around, the wireless worked much better than my previous stay in 2012. The food at the restaurant was also good. I didn't have any complaints about the meals - I had breakfast daily and tried the lunch buffet on a few occasions. The rooms and much of the premises have been in need of an upgrade for several years. I'm not sure why this isn't being prioritized and done quickly. So my complaint? I accidentally left a napkin on my bed during my rush to leave one morning, only to return at night to pull back the neatly made covers and see the exact napkin still there (this despite a request at the front desk to change my linens). Clearly housekeeping could pay greater attention to detail. Other problems - the showers need replacing, they just don't work well and the water temperature is also an issue.

All in all, the hotel needs an upgrade and I am sure management is aware of this.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to pen your comments following your recent stay.
We are indeed in the midst of an extensive renovation - one that will touch every area of the property over the next two years. This does include the bedrooms and bathrooms as you correctly noted in your commentary.
Your housekeeping incident, I believe was a once-off situation, as we are very proud of the general standards within this department. Your statement nevertheless has been taken seriously and is presently being used in our on-going training within that department.
I look forward to welcoming you back to Kingston and personally showing you the improvements we have made since this last visit.
Miami Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

This hotel exceeded expectations.

While it is not a new hotel, my room seemed to be renovated and carpets in the corridor seemed brand new - and smelt new also.

Bath & body toiletries, new bath tub and finishes.

The service was good, but expect a long checkout process.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Peter H, General Manager at The Jamaica Pegasus Hotel, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Thank you for your kind words. We are constantly striving not only to meet but also exceed our guests' expectations and your comments are important to our achieving that goal.
We are adding an additional checkout terminal at our desk within the next 10 days so the check out process should be faster.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Kingston on your next visit to Jamaica.
Respectfully
Albany, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Normally, my company uses the Spanish Court hotel, but since the Wyndham Hotel fire, hotel rooms are at a premium and the Spanish Court was fully booked. So our only option was the Pegasus. I stayed 9 nights on a business trip. I understand the hotel is undergoing renovations and have heard that some of the rooms have already been renovated, but I didn't get one. First the good things about this hotel: it's safe, it's clean, the bath products are good quality, the gym is nice, the pool is lovely, the breakfast buffet was delicious and the staff are professional and friendly (with the exception of one member of the waitstaff during breakfast). The disappointing (of course, the outdated furniture, carpet and decor is being updated, but it wasn't that much of a bother to me): many things were broken in my room: the sliding door to the balcony was so badly rusted that I could not lock it on my own and had to call someone to lock it. After that I was never able to use the balcony again because it was just too much of a pain to ask someone to lock it each time. The telephone chord was broken, so I had to push the chord into the handset in order to make a call. Other than breakfast, the lunch and dinner options were just ok. Only one lamp in my room worked, so at night the room was very dim and difficult to work in. The safe broke and held my items hostage until a member of staff was able to break into it and then replace the door. I had two beds in my room, but only one was comfortable enough to sleep on. For what it is, it's not a terrible choice, but it wouldn't be my first.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room.
Respectfully
Trinidad
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

This hotel is in an urgent need of a major overhaul. the rooms are dated with old furniture, filthy baths, and broken locks on sliding doors. The food is of minimal quality and the dining room is also dated. The reception is slow and disorganised. The check in time was 2 pm but rooms were unavailable for most members of our group of 7, close to 4 pm. The area of course is in New Kingston with major issues with safety, cleanliness and homeless. Stay in the hotel compound and don't venture out during the night.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side have a view of the pool and the ocean
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Peter H, General Manager at The Jamaica Pegasus Hotel, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your thoughts. Ownership shares your view and is spending the necessary resourses to totally update the property in terms of public spaces and bedrooms. During your stay with us I am presuming you noticed the extensive renovations that were taking place.
Please come back and visit us soon as I am confident that you will experience a totally new Jamaica Pegasus.
Thank you again.
Lawrenceville, GA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

I stayed here on a business trip for five days, it's definitely a step down from the hotels I am accustomed to staying in (Embassy Suites and Hilton hotels), but for Kingston, I don't you will find much better. The fitness center was greatly improved compared to my last stay here in 2005. Treadmills, Elliptical, bikes, and weights are available. The rooms are dated, but large with very nice views. The beds were very comfortable and the air conditioning worked well. The hotel has an executive level. With a lounge open for breakfast and snacks and drinks in the evening. For me it was well worth it to upgrade to the executive level. I felt very safe and secure at this hotel. I went for a walk one afternoon on the main street. I would not recommend this. I was immediately hit up for money, to buy some pot, or a woman. I quickly returned to the hotel. The restaurant had good food and service. The pool area is very nice, but the pool needs to be cleaned better. Would I stay here again? Yes.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Peter H, General Manager at The Jamaica Pegasus Hotel, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to voice your opinion about the Jamaica Pegasus. Constructive commentary is always welcome because your opinion really matters.
The Pegasus was acquired by new Ownwership a little over a year ago and is presently undergoing a complete upgrade to both its guest and public areas. Please contact me directly when your travel plans have you visiting Jamaica's capital city again, as I would personally appreciate showing you the improvements that we have made since your last visit.
Respectfully,
PH
San Jose, Costa Rica
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Stayed 1 night in April while on business in Kingston. The hotel needs renovations on the guestrooms, corridors and lobby. Luckily, they are currently renovating the lobby, and while this is in process, a temporary restaurant was fitted out below the ground floor in front of the pool. I hope they will renovate the guestrooms and corridors soon after.
While the food was decent at the buffet, they only offer buffet option, which is OK for breakfast, but falls short of options for lunch and dinner.
The service was average or below average; it took forever to get checked in, and the waiter forgot when we ordered a second round of drinks during dinner.
Internet works OK, as well as TV and AC in the guestrooms.
Location is convenient as most of the business hotels in New Kingston.
Definitely, not my favorite hotel in Kingston, and definitely not worth the rate.

Room Tip: Guestrooms on the West side have balconies.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Peter H, General Manager at The Jamaica Pegasus Hotel, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Thank you for your valued commentary. As you noticed the hotel is under renovation and the new Owners are committed to totally upgrade the property not only in public areas but also to the guest corridors and bedrooms.
By way of clarification, buffet service is indeed offered for breakfast and lunch but there is a full a la carte menu available for those who prefer. Dinner is a la carte only. There will also be a new cafe opening within a month.
Please visit us again on your next trip to Kingston - you will see that we are indeed committed to restoring this beautiful hotel to a world class standard.

Been to The Jamaica Pegasus Hotel? Share your experiences!