“Not the best, but it works” 3 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   81 Knutsford Boulevard, Kingston Kingston 5, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #8 of 22 hotels in Kingston
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Not the best, but it works”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I stayed at this hotel in early June, 2013. This was my second stay at the Pegasus and was also a business trip. This time around, the wireless worked much better than my previous stay in 2012. The food at the restaurant was also good. I didn't have any complaints about the meals - I had breakfast daily and tried the lunch buffet on a few occasions. The rooms and much of the premises have been in need of an upgrade for several years. I'm not sure why this isn't being prioritized and done quickly. So my complaint? I accidentally left a napkin on my bed during my rush to leave one morning, only to return at night to pull back the neatly made covers and see the exact napkin still there (this despite a request at the front desk to change my linens). Clearly housekeeping could pay greater attention to detail. Other problems - the showers need replacing, they just don't work well and the water temperature is also an issue.

All in all, the hotel needs an upgrade and I am sure management is aware of this.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Peter H, General Manager at The Jamaica Pegasus Hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to pen your comments following your recent stay.
We are indeed in the midst of an extensive renovation - one that will touch every area of the property over the next two years. This does include the bedrooms and bathrooms as you correctly noted in your commentary.
Your housekeeping incident, I believe was a once-off situation, as we are very proud of the general standards within this department. Your statement nevertheless has been taken seriously and is presently being used in our on-going training within that department.
I look forward to welcoming you back to Kingston and personally showing you the improvements we have made since this last visit.

245 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Miami Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

This hotel exceeded expectations.

While it is not a new hotel, my room seemed to be renovated and carpets in the corridor seemed brand new - and smelt new also.

Bath & body toiletries, new bath tub and finishes.

The service was good, but expect a long checkout process.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Peter H, General Manager at The Jamaica Pegasus Hotel, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Thank you for your kind words. We are constantly striving not only to meet but also exceed our guests' expectations and your comments are important to our achieving that goal.
We are adding an additional checkout terminal at our desk within the next 10 days so the check out process should be faster.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Kingston on your next visit to Jamaica.
Respectfully
Albany, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Normally, my company uses the Spanish Court hotel, but since the Wyndham Hotel fire, hotel rooms are at a premium and the Spanish Court was fully booked. So our only option was the Pegasus. I stayed 9 nights on a business trip. I understand the hotel is undergoing renovations and have heard that some of the rooms have already been renovated, but I didn't get one. First the good things about this hotel: it's safe, it's clean, the bath products are good quality, the gym is nice, the pool is lovely, the breakfast buffet was delicious and the staff are professional and friendly (with the exception of one member of the waitstaff during breakfast). The disappointing (of course, the outdated furniture, carpet and decor is being updated, but it wasn't that much of a bother to me): many things were broken in my room: the sliding door to the balcony was so badly rusted that I could not lock it on my own and had to call someone to lock it. After that I was never able to use the balcony again because it was just too much of a pain to ask someone to lock it each time. The telephone chord was broken, so I had to push the chord into the handset in order to make a call. Other than breakfast, the lunch and dinner options were just ok. Only one lamp in my room worked, so at night the room was very dim and difficult to work in. The safe broke and held my items hostage until a member of staff was able to break into it and then replace the door. I had two beds in my room, but only one was comfortable enough to sleep on. For what it is, it's not a terrible choice, but it wouldn't be my first.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room.
Respectfully
Trinidad
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

This hotel is in an urgent need of a major overhaul. the rooms are dated with old furniture, filthy baths, and broken locks on sliding doors. The food is of minimal quality and the dining room is also dated. The reception is slow and disorganised. The check in time was 2 pm but rooms were unavailable for most members of our group of 7, close to 4 pm. The area of course is in New Kingston with major issues with safety, cleanliness and homeless. Stay in the hotel compound and don't venture out during the night.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side have a view of the pool and the ocean
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Peter H, General Manager at The Jamaica Pegasus Hotel, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your thoughts. Ownership shares your view and is spending the necessary resourses to totally update the property in terms of public spaces and bedrooms. During your stay with us I am presuming you noticed the extensive renovations that were taking place.
Please come back and visit us soon as I am confident that you will experience a totally new Jamaica Pegasus.
Thank you again.
Lawrenceville, GA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

I stayed here on a business trip for five days, it's definitely a step down from the hotels I am accustomed to staying in (Embassy Suites and Hilton hotels), but for Kingston, I don't you will find much better. The fitness center was greatly improved compared to my last stay here in 2005. Treadmills, Elliptical, bikes, and weights are available. The rooms are dated, but large with very nice views. The beds were very comfortable and the air conditioning worked well. The hotel has an executive level. With a lounge open for breakfast and snacks and drinks in the evening. For me it was well worth it to upgrade to the executive level. I felt very safe and secure at this hotel. I went for a walk one afternoon on the main street. I would not recommend this. I was immediately hit up for money, to buy some pot, or a woman. I quickly returned to the hotel. The restaurant had good food and service. The pool area is very nice, but the pool needs to be cleaned better. Would I stay here again? Yes.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Peter H, General Manager at The Jamaica Pegasus Hotel, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to voice your opinion about the Jamaica Pegasus. Constructive commentary is always welcome because your opinion really matters.
The Pegasus was acquired by new Ownwership a little over a year ago and is presently undergoing a complete upgrade to both its guest and public areas. Please contact me directly when your travel plans have you visiting Jamaica's capital city again, as I would personally appreciate showing you the improvements that we have made since your last visit.
Respectfully,
PH
San Jose, Costa Rica
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Stayed 1 night in April while on business in Kingston. The hotel needs renovations on the guestrooms, corridors and lobby. Luckily, they are currently renovating the lobby, and while this is in process, a temporary restaurant was fitted out below the ground floor in front of the pool. I hope they will renovate the guestrooms and corridors soon after.
While the food was decent at the buffet, they only offer buffet option, which is OK for breakfast, but falls short of options for lunch and dinner.
The service was average or below average; it took forever to get checked in, and the waiter forgot when we ordered a second round of drinks during dinner.
Internet works OK, as well as TV and AC in the guestrooms.
Location is convenient as most of the business hotels in New Kingston.
Definitely, not my favorite hotel in Kingston, and definitely not worth the rate.

Room Tip: Guestrooms on the West side have balconies.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Peter H, General Manager at The Jamaica Pegasus Hotel, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Thank you for your valued commentary. As you noticed the hotel is under renovation and the new Owners are committed to totally upgrade the property not only in public areas but also to the guest corridors and bedrooms.
By way of clarification, buffet service is indeed offered for breakfast and lunch but there is a full a la carte menu available for those who prefer. Dinner is a la carte only. There will also be a new cafe opening within a month.
Please visit us again on your next trip to Kingston - you will see that we are indeed committed to restoring this beautiful hotel to a world class standard.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Sent 2 nights here before onward to ocho rios. Entrance grand. Rooms adequate and clean but definitely need up grading. Pool warm and attentive towel attendants ( probably due to leggy blonde daughter) restaurant woefully lacking. Do not have the mac and cheese if you value your arteries........... For a posh ish hotel I was shocked to see a bottle of ketchup plonked on table cafe style........ Food not great, wish we had gone out to eat ..... Breakfast redeemed itself with a cracking codfish and ackee offering. Remote in sons room broken, draw in chest broken, sliding door to patio broken, phone not working, clock radio not able to change time so redundant, reported remote to reception no response just as well we were not there for longer. Shame just needs some time and money spent on it and it could be nice.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Peter H, General Manager at The Jamaica Pegasus Hotel, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
Thank you for your commentary. New Ownership shares your views on the physical state of the property and is committed to upgrading the overall standards in terms of renovations and food and beverage offering. Most of the public areas, restaurants and bars will be completed within the next couple of months. Bedrooms have already started being completely revamped and will continue to do so until all have been renovated.
I do hope you will revisit the Pegasus on your next trip to Kiungston and witness yourself the many improvements that have been made.
Respectfully,

Been to The Jamaica Pegasus Hotel? Share your experiences!