“Da White Witch Mon!” 4 of 5 stars

Spokane, Washington, United States
19 attraction reviews
“Da White Witch Mon!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Fantastic Golf Course! If your in Montego Bay come golf here, the course plays how it looks and your caddies know there stuff. The views and the holes are fantastic and well kept and the greens are nice and well maintained and the views are fantastic!

Here's a tip: Get a twilight tee time after 3pm and its only 80.00 with cart, caddie, clubs if your renting!
Tip#2: Only got snacks on the course so pack a lunch!

Naples, Florida
18 attraction reviews
“Which Witch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I played at the White Witch golf course on the Rose Hall plantation last Thursday, Jan 10th via the Independence of the Sea. If we didn't have our personnel caddies, the scores would have sailed outta sight. My price, included transportation from the cruise docks, green fees, cart, caddy, golf clubs(although I brought my own)golf clubs were provided if you didn't bring your own. Shoes were an extra fee(had my own). With all the fees and something on the 19th hole, my total outlay was $190. If you stayed at hotels near by, the price goes down to $120-130/round. Certain times of the year after 3pm(9 holes only)the price dropped to $59/pp. The course is very challenging but not overly so. It's a test of shot placement and minimizing your risks. The golf course has several risk/reward type of holes but overall just staying in the middle of the narrow fairway is a win win. The 1st cut of rough, the golf ball drops 2 inches below the soft, fine turf. It prevents a decent 2nd shot to the green on the par 4's.. Everywhere there are bunkers and small steep hills that make for some interesting shots. Getting back to the caddies. They are worth their tips in gold. They know this course well. They suggest you find your 150 or 210yd club and tell you where to aim it. On the greens, they hand you, your putters, suggest where to aim your ball and the speed at which to hit it. More often than not, the balls went right where they said. But these greens are quick, so beware how hard u hit. I had 1 birdie, just missed on 2 others, several pars, several bogies and 1 double & triple bogey. The vista's are beautiful and the course made use of all my clubs. It was breezy, when I played, so keep those balls down. Will I play this course the next time I visit Jamaica, in a heartbeat.

Rochester, New York, USA
“Golf at White Witch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Played golf on Christmas day at the White Witch Golf course in Montego Bay. The tour operator at the Iberostar Rose Hall Suites offered a lower price than booking directly. They included transportation, club rentals and greens fees. You have to take a fore caddy....we got Ian who was very nice. The views from this golf course are spectacular and the elevation changes for your tee shots created many "Kodak moments." The rental set was nice....Taylor Made. The course conditions were good....what I would expect from a resort style course....greens rolled nice. We didn't have time to have lunch afterwards, but the views from the restaurant in the club house were spectacular.

Visited December 2012
Texas, United States
“Spectacular course, world-class caddy!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

The short story first, more later . . . as per recent reviews:

Pluses: spectacular jungle hills course with ocean views on many holes and world-class caddies. Extremely friendly staff! Tight drives. . . choose the right club and use an appropriate tee box. If you are a golfer in Montego Bay, a definite must.

Area for improvement: The GM mentioned, without me first prompting, that the green conditions were not up to their normal high standards. Some tee boxes were also showing a fair amount of dirt versus grass. My caddy mentioned that the conditioning got away from them recently, it was preventable . . . seemed the entire staff was apologetic about it. . . even at that, greens putted true, and placements were in areas where the more barren spots were not an issue. In pactice, the conditioning did not bother me.

Now more details:

Marvin is a world-class caddy. To benchmark, I played this year in Ireland (Old Head, Doonbeg, Waterville), and in the past a few rounds as a guest at Shinnecock. Marvin was equal to their best professional senior caddies; he is also an accomplished golfer who plays in caddy tournaments around the island and whose best round at White Witch is a 68. After the first few holes he read how I putted, from there on we agreed line and where I should visualize the cup to get the distance dialed in. Clubbing is extremely important with stiff tropical winds and 50 and even 100 foot elevation drops. Examples: my normal 130 yard nine iron carried to the back of both the severe down-hill 14th at 148 yards and the wind-assisted, downhill 17th at 144. Marvin also quickly got me a game plan: learn the course the first time from the blue tees, forgo the tips, come back and attack the Witch. My first round started real ugly, 57-43 / 100 (blue tees, 6365 yards, 72.2/135). Spray a tee shot at White Witch and it is either three from the tee or playing the lateral red stakes at the edge of the jungle. We quickly got the driver out of my hands. My round two-days later was 43-43 / 86. Marvin got me to over perform. I play to a 15 index at my home course so I break 90 about ~25-40 % of the time (mostly from the 6,800 yard tees, flat terrain, tree-lined fairways where recovery is always a punch shot away). I hit driver only two times the second round, regretted it both times. Otherwise it was three hybrid.

Bonus: Twilight cost after 1:30 PM was $109 list on New Year’s Day, $119 with tax. Recommended caddy tip is $20 per bag. Marvin earned $40. When I called two days later, requesting a single tee time at 1:30 the person on the phone guessed my name, saying my caddy gave them a heads up. Then I was surprised by the “special rate” when I got the credit card slip to sign. It was lower than what is now posted on EZLinks.

Other: 1) Both rounds under three hours as a single. Caddies worked it so I could play through threesomes and foursomes. 2) Ice tea from cart is $4.50, Red Stripe Beer $5.50 in clubhouse. 3) With the extreme elevation change, no option to walk. It rained one round and cart path were slick even though rough concrete. Marvin crept the cart down the hills.

To read the other recent reviews, is seems that there is a cadre of great caddies at this course! Marvin said as much . . . so do not sweat which caddy you get, just enjoy the day!

Footnotes: 1) I played Cinnamon Hills twice and it is a similar jungle-hills play on the back nine, with the front nine going down to the water with the par four fifth and a great par 3 sixth against the ocean, before turning inland again. Both are enjoyable plays! 2) When I later asked an experience local golfer what courses to consider and in what order, he suggested starting in order of difficulty: Half Moon, then Cinnamon Hills, then Tryall, then White Witch. Three of them are together east of Montego Bay right where I was staying; Tryall is west of Montego Bay and about an hour away. I did not get to play Half Moon or Tryall but did drive by them. All in, it seems these are a nice collection of courses. I did not book Montego Bay as a golf trip, rather as a family get-away which had options for me to sneak in a round or two (okay, four, but at less than 3 hours a round, why not!). I will now come back to Montego Bay as a golf destination.

Toronto, Canada
3 attraction reviews
“One of the best we've ever played”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

it is hard to focus on the game when the views are so spectacular. The course rewards you for good drives and punishes you for bad decisions, Weigh the risk/reward and listen to the caddie. Some of the greens were in rough shape in spots but the pin placements were such that as long as you were within a reasonable distance it wasn't any issue (15-20 ft). Over all the course and the experience were excellent. We also played Cinnimon Hill, not even close to the experience, This course was a little more expensive than Cinnimon Hill because of the Cab ride, but absolutly worth every penny. I would play it everyday if I could. This course ranks as one of the top courses I have ever played.
If I had a complaint, and it's not really, the "reccomended tip for the Caddie" should be based on level of service provided like any other tip. Our caddie was ok but not very friendly or talkative. He called out the yardage perfectly for me and gave me some general target tips but seemed more interested in getting the round finished. We played in just around 3 hours.

If you enjoy golf you must put this course on your bucket list!

Visited December 2012