“Golf at White Witch” 5 of 5 stars

Activities: Golfing
Rochester, New York, USA
“Golf at White Witch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Played golf on Christmas day at the White Witch Golf course in Montego Bay. The tour operator at the Iberostar Rose Hall Suites offered a lower price than booking directly. They included transportation, club rentals and greens fees. You have to take a fore caddy....we got Ian who was very nice. The views from this golf course are spectacular and the elevation changes for your tee shots created many "Kodak moments." The rental set was nice....Taylor Made. The course conditions were good....what I would expect from a resort style course....greens rolled nice. We didn't have time to have lunch afterwards, but the views from the restaurant in the club house were spectacular.

Texas, United States
“Spectacular course, world-class caddy!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

The short story first, more later . . . as per recent reviews:

Pluses: spectacular jungle hills course with ocean views on many holes and world-class caddies. Extremely friendly staff! Tight drives. . . choose the right club and use an appropriate tee box. If you are a golfer in Montego Bay, a definite must.

Area for improvement: The GM mentioned, without me first prompting, that the green conditions were not up to their normal high standards. Some tee boxes were also showing a fair amount of dirt versus grass. My caddy mentioned that the conditioning got away from them recently, it was preventable . . . seemed the entire staff was apologetic about it. . . even at that, greens putted true, and placements were in areas where the more barren spots were not an issue. In pactice, the conditioning did not bother me.

Now more details:

Marvin is a world-class caddy. To benchmark, I played this year in Ireland (Old Head, Doonbeg, Waterville), and in the past a few rounds as a guest at Shinnecock. Marvin was equal to their best professional senior caddies; he is also an accomplished golfer who plays in caddy tournaments around the island and whose best round at White Witch is a 68. After the first few holes he read how I putted, from there on we agreed line and where I should visualize the cup to get the distance dialed in. Clubbing is extremely important with stiff tropical winds and 50 and even 100 foot elevation drops. Examples: my normal 130 yard nine iron carried to the back of both the severe down-hill 14th at 148 yards and the wind-assisted, downhill 17th at 144. Marvin also quickly got me a game plan: learn the course the first time from the blue tees, forgo the tips, come back and attack the Witch. My first round started real ugly, 57-43 / 100 (blue tees, 6365 yards, 72.2/135). Spray a tee shot at White Witch and it is either three from the tee or playing the lateral red stakes at the edge of the jungle. We quickly got the driver out of my hands. My round two-days later was 43-43 / 86. Marvin got me to over perform. I play to a 15 index at my home course so I break 90 about ~25-40 % of the time (mostly from the 6,800 yard tees, flat terrain, tree-lined fairways where recovery is always a punch shot away). I hit driver only two times the second round, regretted it both times. Otherwise it was three hybrid.

Bonus: Twilight cost after 1:30 PM was $109 list on New Year’s Day, $119 with tax. Recommended caddy tip is $20 per bag. Marvin earned $40. When I called two days later, requesting a single tee time at 1:30 the person on the phone guessed my name, saying my caddy gave them a heads up. Then I was surprised by the “special rate” when I got the credit card slip to sign. It was lower than what is now posted on EZLinks.

Other: 1) Both rounds under three hours as a single. Caddies worked it so I could play through threesomes and foursomes. 2) Ice tea from cart is $4.50, Red Stripe Beer $5.50 in clubhouse. 3) With the extreme elevation change, no option to walk. It rained one round and cart path were slick even though rough concrete. Marvin crept the cart down the hills.

To read the other recent reviews, is seems that there is a cadre of great caddies at this course! Marvin said as much . . . so do not sweat which caddy you get, just enjoy the day!

Footnotes: 1) I played Cinnamon Hills twice and it is a similar jungle-hills play on the back nine, with the front nine going down to the water with the par four fifth and a great par 3 sixth against the ocean, before turning inland again. Both are enjoyable plays! 2) When I later asked an experience local golfer what courses to consider and in what order, he suggested starting in order of difficulty: Half Moon, then Cinnamon Hills, then Tryall, then White Witch. Three of them are together east of Montego Bay right where I was staying; Tryall is west of Montego Bay and about an hour away. I did not get to play Half Moon or Tryall but did drive by them. All in, it seems these are a nice collection of courses. I did not book Montego Bay as a golf trip, rather as a family get-away which had options for me to sneak in a round or two (okay, four, but at less than 3 hours a round, why not!). I will now come back to Montego Bay as a golf destination.

Visited January 2013
Toronto, Canada
3 attraction reviews
“One of the best we've ever played”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

it is hard to focus on the game when the views are so spectacular. The course rewards you for good drives and punishes you for bad decisions, Weigh the risk/reward and listen to the caddie. Some of the greens were in rough shape in spots but the pin placements were such that as long as you were within a reasonable distance it wasn't any issue (15-20 ft). Over all the course and the experience were excellent. We also played Cinnimon Hill, not even close to the experience, This course was a little more expensive than Cinnimon Hill because of the Cab ride, but absolutly worth every penny. I would play it everyday if I could. This course ranks as one of the top courses I have ever played.
If I had a complaint, and it's not really, the "reccomended tip for the Caddie" should be based on level of service provided like any other tip. Our caddie was ok but not very friendly or talkative. He called out the yardage perfectly for me and gave me some general target tips but seemed more interested in getting the round finished. We played in just around 3 hours.

If you enjoy golf you must put this course on your bucket list!

Canada
5 attraction reviews
“Spectacular Course”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Loved the incredible views as we played the course. This was my first time using a caddy and she was terrific. The rental clubs are top notch Taylor Made. In April the grounds are still recovering a bit from winter but still quite lovely. You must ask about the story of the White Witch and visit the museum before or afterwards.

Visited April 2012
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 attraction reviews
“Bewitched in Jamaica”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

I had a chance to squeeze in a round of golf the first week of Dec 2012 at the White Witch golf club just east of Montego Bay Jamaica this week- the course is spectacular- and each hole presents itself as a it's own challenge- playing up and down the mountain side through some dense jungle on either side of the ample fairways. You 'll have your share of tee boxes that overlook the fairways as they descend into the valley giving you pause to take a photo or two before determining which bunker you think you can clear on the dog leg fairway below or how much club you'll need to miss the pond guarded par 3's- the only water I recall on the course. Don't worry about the lack of water hazards the course has enough bunkers to snare your ball a few times and the jungle is almost always out there. The caddies are fabulous and enjoy their work. You'll have a great time here! Only minor drawback was no refreshments at the 19th hole- I caught the on course beverage guy for an ice cold Red Stripe that happened by otherwise I'd have been parched. I concur with the other reviewers that the taxi fares are too high to get there - $40 for a 9 mile RT- but my driver went 15mph slower than the rest of traffic to make the distance feel longer...not sure if that was on purpose. Good rental clubs were had for $25- and I packed balls, tees and a glove. Book on EZlinks (min 2 players) for best greens fees - and if the wind is up - play at your own risk. Had a great round.