“A laid back morning” 5 of 5 stars

Mid Atlantic
4 attraction reviews
“A laid back morning”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

The road to Mayfield falls is a disaster, the restrooms and the food and drink area are so so, but the experience is absolutely great.

You get a personal guide to take you onto the river and you get to walk up river, dive in the falls, experience the Jamaica mountains, and start to understand what Jamaica is all about.

Smaller groups, smaller crowds, great staff, the kind of side trip that once you've been there, you just sit back and say "that was neat".

Ohio
9 attraction reviews
“Swim in a waterfall is off my bucket list”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We chose this trip from Negril because it wasn't as far to go and got great reviews!! It was worth the trip, you get to see a lot of the interior of Negril on the drive and we had a great driver! The falls are very cool and the walk up the river is fun!! Our guide was a nice guy and very knowlegable, our tour included lunch which was also good. My only complaint would be the herding your into the craft stands at the end of the tour and it was very high pressure! We didn't take much cash that day and tried being honest with them but we couldn't get away, we ended up having to make a deal to send cash back with the driver upon our return to our resort to get them to leave us alone! It doesn't seem to bother most people but I personally don't like it!

Flushing, New York
10 attraction reviews
“Beautiful, Fun, and Secluded.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

My friends and I visited Mayfield Falls as a half day trip from our hotel in Montego Bay/Hopewell. We chose Mayfield Falls over Dunns River Falls because the cab ride was cheaper and because we were looking for a less touristy activity. I guess I have no comparison but In my opinion it was a great choice. The grounds were secluded and beautiful. The entrance fee was $15 plus $5 for shoe rental (be prepared for old ripped water shoes. You may want to bring your own). When we arrived we were introduced to our guide who took us to a hut where we changed into our water shoes and gave him our valuables to hold in a cooler bag. Although they warn you not to bring anything not waterproof, our guide was very careful with my camera (in my own waterproof case in addition). There were lockers if we would have wanted to leave stuff back at the camp (other than our towels) We were accompanied by a photographer and told that we didn't have to buy the photos of we didn't want to. We spent the next hour and a half walking through the crystal clear water and climbing rocks/falls. I would say that it was an easy/moderate walk. Our guide was helpful in telling us where to step and gave us a hand for big steps. He also showed us how to get the most interesting poses and gladly took good pictures with my camera when asked to. Still you will get completely wet and basic swimming skills will come in handy (but not a prerequisite). I would be nervous with a little kid fighting the current of the falls so keep that in mind if this is a family trip. Throughout the entire trek only twice did we run into other tourists so it felt pretty secluded. We never felt rushed at any time. At the end we walked the trail back that follows the water. On the way our guide pointed out cool jungle plants, including indigenous Jamaican vegetables (I'll let it be a surprise which ones!) Back at the hut they showed us a slide show of our pictures. We had 110 pictures and were told the cost was $10 per picture or $85 for all pictures. Overpriced, but did include some nice pictures. I'm embarrassed to say we gave in and bought them. (What can I say I'm a sucker for pictures.) One word of warning, there was a definite smell of "natural herbs" wafting from one of the huts. Definitely explained the laidback vibe. One other warning...the road to get there was unpaved at times and very narrow. It was bumpy and I may have sucked in my breath when we had to pass another car. All in all if you are looking for a fun and less touristy alternative to Dunns River Fall, this is a great choice! I would highly recommend it.

Jamaica
3 attraction reviews
“best kept secret, waterfalls off the beaten track”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

make sure you go to the first entrance not the second. it is much more laid back, less touristy! not good for people with difficulty walking though as lots of stairs. the journey to the falls is amazing, seeing the real Jamaica, little villages and rivers, swaying bamboo, hills and gullies. the falls are freezing but fabulous. great guides, lunch and drinks available, our families favourite summer day out.

Visited May 2013
14 attraction reviews
“A little hidden piece of paradise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

This falls and the garden is a hidden gem way off the beaten track.....the ride to get there is not exciting but the place is worth it if you like nature and real rustic island scenery. Loved it!!!

Visited August 2012