“The water is not refreshing....Its freezing!!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 198 Attractions in Jamaica
Type: Waterfalls, Outdoors
Margate, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
“The water is not refreshing....Its freezing!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

AS the title says, the water is cold, but pleasant all the same in the lovely Caribbean sunshine. Quite a journey from Montego bay centre and VERY bumpy roads! Took over 1.5 hours to get there, but it was nice to take in "Real Jamaica" and see some of the beautiful scenery. Walk is steep track down to the falls and steep to decent into the falls. Off the beaten track a little and a better experience with less tourists and none of the creepy hand holding you get with YS and Dunns. This trip is better suited for someone who is more active due to climbing and navigating the falls- however the guides assist you. (Although I saw older people managing perfectly well). Definitely ladies... WEAR A SWIMSUIT or cover over with a T-shirt!! you WILL loose it in the current as I saw people do! You start with a bit of a walk to the falls which is nice and the guide points out interesting nature features and wildlife. Then you have approximately 1.5 hours in the falls, which you can swim in too. The guide we had was CRAZY! jumping in from huge Heights and diving in, which you are allowed to do of course if you are a good swimmer. You can even dive under caves but that is not for the faint hearted! The guide was kind enough to take pictures with my waterproof camera, but of course a photographer comes along and you can purchase these at the end if you wish. We had lunch after the walk which was a little pricey for what you get. Lobster available for $25 dollars, chicken for $14 and Shrimp for $18. Small portions served with plantain and rice. All in all a good trip out and glad we went even if the heavens opened and kept us there longer than we needed to be.

Coral Springs, Florida, United States
“Fun at the Falls”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

not touristy and commercial like Dunns River Falls. The guides was great and made us always feel safe. Great lunch and great pictures

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
51 attraction reviews
“Fantastic experience away from the comfort of your resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

We had a wonderful trip to these falls which are located deep in Cockpit country about an hour and 15 minutes from Montego Bay.

Our trip was expertly guided and as well as being chaperoned in and around the falls and given a nature lesson we were fed and watered at the end of the day with some very tasty food and bottles of Red Stripe.

Our party were complete strangers when we started out on the journey, but four hours later they were like old friends. It was very similar to how I imagine the bonding experience works on the TV programme "I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here". Without having to eat bugs and getting overly bitten.

Make sure you take your swimming costume though. You will get wetter than an otter's pocket.

Chicago, Illinois
“Beautiful falls, great guide!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

We had a wonderful day at the falls. Our guide, Taroy McKenzie was great....Really great! He knew where the pools got deep, where we needed to step down/what rock we needed to step on, and where he needed to extend a hand! He was very kind and took it slowly. We are not the spring chickens we used to be but we enjoyed the falls immensely and felt lucky to be with such a great guide. Taroy showed us the cacao trees, curry plants, mangoe trees and pineapple plants. Price per person $15, river shoe rental $5 (highly recommended!!! Flip flops would be a challenge...), lunch $10 (pretty good chicken and rice), plus whatever tip for the guide. Fun drive there and back.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 attraction reviews
“Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

I came to Jamaica for the first time March 30th. 2013 and stayed a week. I knew the island had many attractions to offer and also knew I was coming to a tropical paradise. I must say seeing pictures that friends shared did not prepare me for the amazing views I was so fortunate to see with my own eyes.

Mayfield Falls was and is just beyond beautiful from the drive from Negril up through the mountains, tall trees and greenery.

Once I got out of the truck and walked down the bamboo staircase I knew I was walking into pure beauty and I was correct. The views in the talk trees was amazing, the cute little huts on the property were private and darling.

I love nature and the outdoors anyway but this was not your typical outdoors. I felt I had walked into another space in time it is hard to described the beauty, warmth and overall calmness to this location. Now that I know how peaceful and inviting it is I will be more prepared to have a blanket and snacks to have a picnic on my next reach.

The water was so cool as it washed over me and soothed my skin from the hot sun. It was very shady and so captivating between those trees.

This is a must do on your list. I went to Dunn's River Falls but not YS and this to me was way better than Dunn's River. I think everyone should go see this beautiful place for themselves and I think all will agree this is really a piece of paradise.

Visited April 2013