“Great day away from the resort!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 223 attractions in Jamaica
Type: Waterfalls
Attraction Details
Texas City, Texas
“Great day away from the resort!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

We got a bit restless staying on our all inclusive resort all week, so I found a man on the beach who set us up with a cab to Mayfield Falls. Seemed sketchy at first, but turned out awesome. Cab driver was named Everton Banton with Juta Tours, and I'd highly recommend him! He answered all of our questions and gave us interesting information along way.
We stopped at a fruit market in Savannah La Mar on the way and got the best fruit we had the whole trip---it was interesting to see the market also because we were the only tourists we saw there. Great detour.
The "falls" themselves are not really a waterfall, but more of a mineral spring (think river) you walk through, so don't expect breath-taking waterfall views. That being said, Mayfield Falls was gorgeous--set back in what feels like a tropical jungle and so peaceful. The water was cool and refreshing and the walk itself is entertaining--areas to jump/swim/play. The walk took between 1 and 2 hours total and was not extremely physically demanding (I'm fairly physically active and would not call this a workout by any means), though there are some stairs on the way there/back and you're walking along a rocky river bottom, so it could be difficult for someone who has trouble walking We left our stuff in the lockers-no problems. Also, it's pretty much entirely shaded, so don't worry about sunscreen.
They have tour guides available for free (they expect a tip at the end) when you arrive, and the cost to get in is $15 per person, plus $6 to rent water shoes (you'll actually be glad you did). They also send a photographer with you and you can buy the pics at the end if interested.
I'd definitely recommend this little excursion to anyone--it's peaceful and beautiful and the drive (while slow going and bumpy) is a good way to see a little more of the island.

Visited June 2013

texas
“Worth the drive”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Mayfield Falls is about 1.5 hour drive from Negril West End. Once we arrived , we instantly realized it was worth the ride.

Everything was absolutely beautiful and lunch was delicious. We both had grilled fish.

Visited June 2013
Kitchener, Canada
9 attraction reviews
“A must do, what a blast.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Long mountain drive on a Jamaican single lane pot hole infested road with our driver for the week from juta tours Delano(yah man!) uncovered a true treasure. This place looked a little sketchy at first, they had me sign a waiver for all 11 people in our group on a piece of paper that had the previous groups signature whited out(no kidding). Well that will teach me to judge a book by its cover. We were guided to the falls by three locals and a camera man. Denis was our senior guide with 20 years on the job and he said, listen the rains have made the water high and faster than normal. you guys have to listen and do what I do. This place had the most beautifull setting I have ever seen. this is true nature at its best. I looked at my wife and said what about our 5 year old Avrya. Denis put her on his shoulders and walked up the rapids and rocks with her up their the whole time (no problem!) The water was cool, but very soothing. We went thru the washing machine(a u shaped cave with water going over your head and then you stand up and jump into the wash.(holly cow! boys only, Denis said, to dangerous). Others jumped off a treestand into a deeper pool. We did Dunn`s River later that week and everyone said Mayfield Falls was way more challenging, Dunn`s is higher but feels fake with artificial foot and hand placement in rock.
We finished with dinner at the outdoor restaurant, the Jamaican patties are good. We purchased the picture CD only to find it cracked on flight home, for $60 bucks a hard plastic case would be better (wife found software to save some shoots) We Emailed Mayfield about possibly getting a new one(no reply). If your in Jamaica I would try to check this attraction out, they say the mineral water helps you heel!

New Jersey
3 attraction reviews
“Can be a challenge.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

We had a great time at Mayfield Falls. We have been to Y.S Falls and loved that place, too. Dunn's River is far too overrun with tourists so we have never been there. Mayfield is less crowded and less well known than Y. S., but that could change. At Mayfield you walk in the river for over an hour. The current varies depending on how much rain they've had. Our guide, Ian, said it gets stronger than when we were there, but is usually not as powerful. So I take that to mean it was stronger than average. I was concerned about my wife being able to make it since she has M.S. She usually has problems when she gets overheated. That was not an issue as you are in shade and nice cool water the whole time (no sunscreen needed). Also of tremendous value was the great work by Ian, our guide. So, thanks to him, she had a great time. I am fairly athletic so Ian was able to concentrate on her most of the time, and I can't say enough how great he was with her. After getting to the top of the river you walk down a shaded path while your guide talks about the various plants. The grounds are really clean and well maintained. I tipped the guide well as I think we were more of a challenge than most guests, and I bought the photo CD which was a little steep, but I wonder how much a pro photographer in the U.S. would charge for walking in rapids for over an hour. One last note, we booked with Negril Onestop who uses Malcolm Brothers tours. We also used them for our airport transfer. They are excellent and friendly drivers. When you book with Onestop you will get transportation, entry to Mayfield, and lunch included.

Iowa
6 attraction reviews
“tested our limits”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

This was a fairly strenuous trek for us as neither one of is all that young (late 50's) or very athletic. But it was enjoyable. We took a long hike upstream over a series of small falls in a very nice natural setting. Our guides were very patient and helpful, we'd have never made it without them. They guided us every step of the way. They also entertained us by diving into a fairly small pool and swimming thru an underwater passage.It was very quiet and uncrowded, unlike the larger more popular falls. The trip back was along a trail rather than backtracking over the falls (thankfully) and the guides made it a nature hike and showed us the local plants. The trip itself is cheap ($15/person). They will want to photograph you and sell you a cd of pictures - we had our own waterproof camera, which they used to take pictures of us and we gave them a good tip. The second guide was actually assigned to a younger couple who needed little help so they both wound up spending time helping us. You can have lunch after the hike, the food is tasty but rather overpriced for the portion sizes.