“Marblue in Treasure Beach” 5 of 5 stars

Jamaica
Improve this listing
Ranked #45 of 222 attractions in Jamaica
Type: Beaches, Bodies of Water
Activities: Dining, Viewing foliage, Fishing, Motorcycling, Walking, Sunbathing, Swimming, Viewing wildlife, Surfing
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Jamaica's best kept secret: this beach offers a striking landscape and uncrowded sands, but strong undercurrents can make swimming tricky.
White House, Jamaica
“Marblue in Treasure Beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

If what you want is European elegant simplicity, then this is it. A quiet retreat from all the noise and confusion, Marblue is so situated that we were able to eat dinner while gazing at the wonderful sunset. And what food we ate! The proprietors, Axel and Andrea Wichterich are the warmest people, superb hosts whose culinary skills have been recognised time and again in food competitions. They are perfectionists. You can tell in the attention to every detail in the bedrooms, in the dining areas; in the food; the wine choices.

We get a warm welcome from these gracious hosts every time we go. Highly recommended

Central Ohio
9 attraction reviews
“Kick back and relax or explore every day - the friendliest area in Jamaica”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

I've been to Treasure Beach several times, the first time ten years ago and 3-4 times since then. I have always loved the peacefulness and friendliness of the area. I love how easy it is to walk around and not be hassled or have to dodge fast cars. I love the fact that Treasure Beach has consciously and intentionally chosen to embrace community tourism, the type where development is light, easy on the environment and beneficial to the community. A sort of tourism where visitors are not placed behind gates, their lodging-food-entertainment budgets controlled by one or two very large corporations. Treasure Beach is a place where one's villa/guesthouse/hotel meals are sourced locally (TB is in the most productive agricultural parish in Jamaica - St. Elizabeth), visitors go to local restaurants and bars and churches, souvenirs are purchased in town, fishermen take folks out on boat rides and sell their catch on the beach in the afternoon.

Treasure Beach has beaches, cliffs, farm fields, reefs, mountains...something for everyone. Some, perhaps, will be turned off by the fact that the beach sand here tends to be brown rather than white, or that there are no large or all-inclusive resorts here (the former may be at least partly responsible for the latter). But to me, the area is beautiful, the water many shades of blue, the roads quiet, the people welcoming, the coves wonderful for swimming, the vibe is just COOL. It is unique in Jamaica and it has always been one of my favorite areas for that reason.

The beach that is perhaps most like Negril's is Great Bay. It's long and sandy and calm and has 3 bars on it, and 2 restaurants (maybe more, but those I counted). There are a couple of lovely villas for rent right on the beach, and some less $$ places to stay quite near. Jeannie usually stays here so she knows many of them, I believe.

Calabash Bay and Frenchmans Bay are most central. If you like to walk to restaurants, bars etc like in Negril, staying on one of these is for you. Frenchmans has Eggy's beach bar on it, and Frenchman's Reef, and Calabash has a tiny bar by the fishing co-op...I think. Plenty of cafes, bars, night spots, restaurants etc along the road. And Sunset Resort too. The road is NOT busy, ever as far as I know, so walking along it is quite easy. We walk right in the middle of it most of the time. Jake's and Jack Sprat are in this area. These bays are usually calm but can be body-surfable if the weather is right.

Billys Bay, like Great Bay, is a bit more remote from the "main" area of TB, but that beach is also nice for swimming and hanging out and has several villas on it, and several guesthouses close by. There is only one bar, near the fishing beach, but I sure enjoyed hanging out there when I stayed there a few years ago. Dominoes with locals, a few beers...very chill.

Visited May 2013
Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
“Treasure beach.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

I was in jamaica for three weeks across march and April. I spent some time in Treasure beach and just the name says it all.
The best part of Jamaica. Nice people, beautiful beaches, pretty safe. I would definitely recommend to get in touch with Andy Nembhard. He is a great tour guide! he knows the places inside-out. I used him for few activities-excursions and trips across the island. Well worth it !!

Port of Spain, Trinidad
4 attraction reviews
“Buttonwood Tours”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

Family Christmas in Treasure Beach and exciting trips with Captain Myrie, of Buttonwood Tours, who took us all to Floyd's Bar out on the reef beyond Black River: he also took us up Black River to see the crocodiles. Some excellent snorkling, lazy time at sea.....and our cooler full of iced drinks. What more could one ask for. Magical days, wonderful company, and Captain Myrie looking after all of us with gentle humor, very proud of the village that he comes from, and all that it represents.

Visited December 2012
Negril
3 attraction reviews
“What a great get away”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Stayed at Matamah at Frenchman's Cove for 3 nights and it was just what we were looking for. After a busy season in Negril my husband & I needed somewhere to unwind and enjoy ourselves. In all my years in Negril, I had only hit Great Bay for a short while with some guests. It had everything we needed - a private room, a wild garden, beach close by, places to walk to and a great choice of eating places. Our last night we even danced in the street to an amazing bicycle sound system! Favourite place to hangout on the beach was Eggy's and our best dinner was garlic lobster at Jack Sprats. I no know why all of my backpacker guests have Treasure beach on the itinerary it's a very unspoiled piece of Jamaica. One Love!