You have to come to this Club Med with a certain expectation....if you do, you will be happy.
First the negatives;
The facility is straight out of the 1970's. Buildings are very tired and haven't been renovated in a long time. Its clearly not a 5 star resort. Rooms are in slightly better shape. (My bed was as lumpy as a coiled rope. To the hotel's credit, they changed my mattress the very next day). They say they have WIFI, but it barely works and you probably wont get a signal in your room. The crowd was 90% middle age and older French visitors plus some families. Not the party crowd Club Med is famous for. You will see 60+ year old topless French women if that matters. Next to no english is spoken. If you dont speak French, you will probably have difficulty engaging in casual conversations. Small marginal gym.
The positives? I took 3 teenage boys and they had a really fun time. The staff is generally very nice despite the language barrier. I didnt see any of the famous French attitude towards Americans. Quite the opposite...the staff works their tail off day and night, The food was surprisingly good...particularly in light of the fact that its a Las Vegas buffet style service. As a buffet, the food is 5 stars!!! Every night there is campy entertainment by the staff. It ranges between pretty bad and enjoyable. The sports are outstanding and there is plenty to do. The beaches and the island are beautiful. The resort is on a peninsula and half the beachfront is pretty windy (great for windsurfing) and the other half is protected. Weather was perfect. Given that its all inclusive, the price is very reasonable and you actually can lock up your wallet for the week. Bottom line....go as long as you have expectations in line with what this somewhat cheesy Club Med offers.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Renovated in the tropical spirit of the Caribbean, the all-inclusive resort La Caravelle, Guadeloupe (French West Indies) is situated in one of the island's most beautiful beaches. This family-friendly resort offers a variety of sports and activities: children's clubs, scuba-diving, water sports, tennis... Come and have a taste of everything. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Club Med so you can book your Club Med La Caravelle reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Club Med La Caravelle Hotel Sainte-Anne
- Club Med Ste Anne
- La Caravelle Club Med
- Club Med Guadeloupe
- Ste. Anne Club Med
- Club Med La Caravelle Guadeloupe/Sainte-Anne