“This place is great for a long stay or any stay!” 5 of 5 stars

Grenada Gold Guest Apartments
Westerhall Heights, St. George's, Grenada   |
Ranked #4 of 19 St. George's B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“This place is great for a long stay or any stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

We really can't say enough about the Sylvesters and Grenada Gold. This was our first time in Grenada and we spent a month in their Nutmeg Suite. It is, without a doubt, the very best place for a long stay, especially if it is your first time in the country.

Lucille and Anthony treated us like family. They had food ready for us when we got it, set us up with car, answered any question we had about the island, had friends who took us hiking and diving, all at good prices. Best of all, really tried to include in the island's local life. Even before we confirmed our stay, Lucille was giving us travel advice and we knew we were in excellent hands.

The apartment itself is beautiful. It sits high on a hillside with a great porch overlooking mountains and the ocean. There are beaches nearby that are usually deserted, but on weekends you may meet Grenadian families. It's far enough from town that you feel like a local, but its easy to get to town, to markets and, really, to anywhere on the island if you have a car (and once you get used to the roads). It's in a safe and friendly neighborhood. It's also someone's home, so if the internet breaks, for example, it's broken for the Sylvesters too and gets fixed in a hurry!

The best thing about Grenada is that, unlike other parts of the Caribbean, it has not yet been bulldozed to make way for mass tourism. Sometimes, it can make getting around tricky. We were a bit nervous when we first arrived, but Lucille and Anthony made the whole island accessible and our experience possible. We can't thank them enough and can't wait to get back!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Ipswich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

I stayed here for 2 weeks with my two grow-up sons and we had a brilliant time. The Nutmeg apartment is huge, with comfortable squashy chairs and all the kitchen equipment you need. The view from the balcony is amazing and the pool lovely for cooling off. Wi-fi- (very important for my younger son!) was very good. The apartments are high up in the hills and light and breezy. We were there on the edge of the rainy season and had some spectacular tropical downpours but plenty of sunshine too. We were serenaded every evening by tiny whistling tree frogs and occasionally found one exploring indoors! Lucille and Anthony, their family, friends and staff are lovely, welcoming people who made such a difference to our holiday. For the very affordable amount we paid, we weren’t expecting delicious baking, groceries shopped and put away for our arrival, washing up done, beds made, towels and sheets changed – and Christine even cleaned my sons’ muddy hiking boots!

The apartments are at the top of a steep, winding, and pot-holed track, which our 4x4 hired (at a discount) from Grenada Gold coped with with no problem. We were glad we asked for transport from the airport as they would have been difficult to find. Shops and beaches are very close and buses are regular but you do need a car here. Driving is slow, scenic and enjoyable, though you have to keep your wits about you at night and we explored quite a bit of the island by accident in our first few days!
It was easy to arrange trips as Lucille sorted them for us (and most importantly, provided directions!) These included hiking in the rainforest on the local ‘hash’ (we went on a special event that included negotiating a landslide, which was a bit challenging for the unfit like me).

We had a great evening at Fish Friday at Gouyave and our driver, Andre, meant we could enjoy the local rum. Lucille also arranged a great catamaran and snorkelling trip and - our favourite - hire of ‘e-sea riders’, fast 2-person inflatable motorboats. This was a guided 3-hour trip that included snorkelling and a beach stop - quite expensive but definitely worth it.
We cooled off in waterfalls, walked on deserted beaches, took a boat to Hog Island for the Sunday beach bar and music, and visited the Georgetown museum, Rivers rum factory and the chocolate factory – all have excellent guides and cost next to nothing. I must mention the museum at Spice Basket which is more expensive but has an amazing cricket museum with a very knowledgeable guide if you’re a fan (I’m actually not particularly but I still loved it!).The Creole Shack and BB's Crabback were great places to eat, overlooking the Carenage in Georgetown. Chilling out with free rum punches while watching the crab racing right on the beach at the Flamboyant Hotel - an unusual way for my son to spend his birthday, and he would agree, not in a bad way!

Ignore the couple of bad reviews of these apartments. The water is hot and perfectly fine for a shower (just a bit of patience required!), the breeze is cooling, and I was comfortable in the smaller bedroom at night with the fan on. I am pushing pension age and didn’t notice any problem with the steps! There’s loads to do on this beautiful island and everyone is so friendly and helpful - there were still things we didn’t get around to doing in 2 weeks. If you stay at Grenada Gold we don't think you could get better value for money or a better experience of Grenada anywhere.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
St Albans, Herts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

Stayed at the Gold Guest Apartments for 3 weeks in early January-loved every minute of it. Lucille and Anthony did everything they could to ensure our stay was something to remember. The apartments are a 2 minute drive from St George, but there are plenty of places nearere to visit, but you will need a car. We hired a car through Gold Guest and it was fine.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
East Moriches, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2011

We just returned home from our week stay in Grenada and the very first thing we said when we woke was how much we missed our beautiful Grenada home and our friends, The Sylvester family.

This was our second trip back to the Spice Island and I have to say that I thought I loved Grenada before but I didn't realize how much more I could love it after staying at Grenada Gold. Our last visit we stayed right on Grand Anse beach, close to everything and these digs beat it by a landslide. To be nestled in the hills of Grenada is a blessing. The heat is so intense down 'where everything is' but up in this beautiful house the breezes always blow and we never once turned on our a/c. Even if you are close to everything, a car in my opinion, is a necessity here. This is an island like no other. It's not flat with only beautiful beaches to offer. It has rain forests, and lakes, and waterfalls; things you must get out to explore so having a car really helps. I haven't ventured out with public transportation but we haven't yet been able to stay for more than a weeks time.

The other reason this trip was divine was because of the hospitality shown by Lucille, Anthony, Lily & Coby (their beautiful children) which cannot be matched anywhere. You are handed over a wealth of local knowledge so you know (if you want) where to eat (and eat well), what is happening all around the island. This knowledge is priceless as you will dine on local fare that you will never forget and you will be at beautifully set local fairs that you most likely would have missed out on.

The apartments are beautiful, meticulously kept, and a most welcome sight every night you come home from a day out on this amazing island. The pool is beyond joyous to have as we swam in it almost everyday and night (under the stars). Lucille and Anthony are amazing hosts who are well traveled, and giving beyond words. If you're looking for a home away from home this is a RARE find. Organic, pure, heart-filled. However, be warned after a stay here you might leave a bit of your heart there; I know I did.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2011

The Grenada Gold was a lovely experience. The imposing family house built on a slope, in a well kept tropical garden, is located in a residential area up in the hills and it is split in three large flats.Tthe owners, Lucille, Anthony and their well behaved children live in the top flat at street level, the other two flats are reached by steps, either 36 or 39, on both side of the house and are for rental. We were staying in the bottom flat which opens on a large terrace leading to a deep pool, surrounded by palm trees. A bliss at the end of a hot day spent exploring Grenada and its beaches. Our flat had all the comforts we needed and more: a well appointed kitchen with a family size fridge, coffee making machine, kettle, microwave oven, food mixer and tea bags, sugar,salt pepper, olive oil, to get us started. I found plenty of hanging space for my too many clothes, I was sleeping in the largest of the two bedroom in a four posters bed under a romantic mozzies net; the second room had a comfortable bed too. There was a television in the dining/living area but we never watched it preferring to sit outside listening to the frogs and following the stars. The bathroom was basic and cheerful, there were rail towels and hooks both on the wall and on the back of the door and a shelf space next to the wash basin. All in all the place was so welcoming that I would recommend it for a long stay. But best of all were Lucille, her family and team helpers particularly Mrs Marta, and Christine the two house keepers. I would highly recommend the Grenada Gold to anybody who likes quiet, relaxation and a happy family atmosphere. Giulia Montanelli Montanelli

Room Tip: Car recommended, free parking
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2011

I read Trip Advisor before booking Grenada Gold and immediately fell in love with the place from the reviews. Grenada Gold was just what we wanted. A place away from the crowds and tourists (not that that is a problem in Grenada at any time), a place that felt homely and above all, a place that was safe and secure.

Lucille and Anthony provided all those desires and we enjoyed our stay immensely. In fact, it was soooooooooooooooooooo soooooooooooo good, that I have already put my Sales Hat on and am trying to get friends to go next year. I certainly am considering it.

Luciille treated us like family and we even managed to go out twice with her which made it even more special ... and we even mixed with her friends and the ladies that come to clean the house who were so sweet and kind to us during our stay.

Personally, I loved the Plantation Suite as we just had 2 steps to walk down to get to the pool which was so refreshing and we enjoyed sitting out in the evenings listening to the tree frogs and gazing to the stars. (We did have fairly good weather whilst there for 6 days).

We rented a car and even though the roads are not maintained to European standards, it was all quite an adventure finding our way down the windy roads to get to the main road and then equally as thrilling to find our way back again. That's what makes my kind of holiday - ADVENTURE

I am wanting to write pages and pages about Grenada Gold but I think my words in the heading say it all! MAGIC!

You will not find such great accomodation for such a great price. I noted the comments from the Canadians from Vancouver who have given rather a 'pathetic' view of Grenada Gold which makes my heart sink ........ I guess they should have gone to a 5 star hotel and mixed in with the usual tourists and ordered 3 meals day from a hotel restaurant. Grenada Gold is not soooooooo far away from town and plenty of restaurants around the area too.... I guess you cannot please everyone. The 35 or 36 steps were great ..... kept me in trim going up and down. Beautiful gardens with every kind of fruit including Wax Apples ... delicious!

If you are going to choose Grenada Gold you will not be disappointed if you like to be away from it all ...... if you enjoy cooking yourself .. it's perfect ..... if you enjoy being away from the hustle and bustle .... it's perfect .... if you enjoy a warm welcome and great advice and even some company .... it's perfect.

If you have noisy neighbours ... that's quite hard to deal with ... but there again you get that in noisy hotels with blazing music, House-Keeping staff being noisy in the hotel corridors .... Vancouver people ... get a lif!

Thank you once again Lucille and Anthony .......

Ashley Deans & Giulia Montanelli

Room Tip: 1) Exceptional Hospitality. 2) Beautiful setting..
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
La Murada Orihuela, Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2011

Firstly, we must agree with all reviews re the Hosts (Lucille,Anthony & their children-Lilly & Colby). They are in most instances A1.
Like other guests we were a little disappointed re distance from main beaches & restaurants, but as we had a car for the 5 weeks we were there(Feb-March) this wasn´t a great problem. The road up to their home though !!! pot holes large enough to do serious damage to vehicles.
The first 2 weeks we stayed in the Nutmeg Suite, large main bedroom, with en-suite & dressing room. It had A/C plus ceiling fan, we only required the fan. The kitchen had everything required for a self catering holiday, & yes fridge may have been a bit noisy, but so is mine sometimes.
It is less light & airy than the other rooms, but not a problem. The lounge was also a good size, light,airy & opened onto a small balcony which had a table & chairs. Wind did make sitting here a problem in the evenings- not their fault. TV worked fine in this apartment. As for the other bedroom & bathroom (Yes a 2 bedroom Apt) as only the two of us cannot make a comment.
For our final 3 weeks we moved to the Plantation Suite on ground floor. This is where the problems were for us. I "assumed" the ground floor Apt. was on ground level, but as the house is built on a steep hill, it is actually at the bottom of the house. To reach there are 36 steps down (36 up)!!!The steps are of uneven size and slippery in the rain, so if a little unsteady on feet or maybe a little overweight (like myself) this is quite a huge problem. Some mention of this should I believe be made in the Apartments review, as should the noise level made by guests staying above in the Nutmeg Suite. The noise one week was excessive & intrusive, and there was no chance of sleeping in beyond the time that they rose, which in this instance was 6am every morning. Added to this the above guests had a small child-4 years approx. who ran everywhere sounding like he had on hob nailed boots!! The floor above being of lamenated wood, the sounds are amplified to sa very disagreeable level.
Also, and we did mnetion this to both the owners and the help, neither of the 2 TV´s in this apartment worked.
Apart from these problems the apartments were kept clean and tidy all of our stay. The cleaning lady- "Christine" went out of her way to be obliging all the time we were there, even doing my washing! Thanks...
So, a good place, but be mindful of the steps and the distance from amenities and when possible pay the extra to book the Nutmeg suite only, well worth it!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Grenada Gold Guest Apartments? Share your experiences!