If you have read our review of Spice Island Beach Resort, you might be forgiven for wondering if we're just way too difficult to please. Not so. Whilst a totally (and refreshingly) different set up, Maca Bana holds all the aces, we had a truly magnificent time.
The Banas are set on a hill overlooking the bay amongst a tropical landscape. We encountered low hanging mangos, palm trees and turtle ponds en route to our Bana (Paw Paw), but nothing prepared us for the hypnotic view which lies beyond the door to the outside deck… Its simply breathtaking.
Back inside the set up is excellent, spacious bathroom and fully fitted kitchen with an appealing European feel to it. For those of you inclined to lounge about inside as well as out, you may find the modest sized bedroom a little restrictive, in which case one of the larger Banas may suit better. It didn't matter to us though, we spent most days outside on the deck in the sunshine looking out across the sea, Magazine beach and St George's bay. Dipping in and out of the hot tub provided ample refreshment (once we'd worked out the temperature control needed to be set as low as it goes!), and the beach was only minutes away on foot. There was the odd occasion when we had it all to ourselves...
All the staff are friendly and helpful, their infectious laugh and smiles complementing their efficient work. The ever obliging Nickson was invaluable for organising last minute car rentals, suggesting local restaurants and helping plan our island tour. He also went out of his way to ensure the owner's building work was brought to a halt when the concrete mixer and drills began one morning...
The restaurant attached to Maca Bana was a delight, Aquarium is set right on the beach with fabulous cocktails and a varied menu which delivered every time. Sunday BBQ is a must, great vibe with live reggie music and a mix of locals and tourists enjoying it all. The restaurant will send a chef up to your Bana to cook for you should you wish (at not much extra expense), highly recommended for dinner on the deck with that view should you choose Paw Paw…
So, a tale of 2 halves, Paw Paw rescuing us from the mediocrity of Spice Island, and for that, we salute you team Maca Bana!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Maca Bana is an intimate boutique hotel comprising 7 artistically designed, solar-powered ‘banas’ with gorgeous ocean views and private massaging hot tubs above our tropical Aquarium Restaurant on Magazine Beach. Laid-back luxury and unrivaled privacy for a sensual & inspiring holiday experience in a warm atmosphere. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Orbitz and Splendia so you can book your Maca Bana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Maca Bana Hotel St. George`s
- Maca Bana St Georges
- Maca Bana Grenada/Saint George Parish