My husband and I had stumbled upon Maca Bana on a previous trip to Grenada, where we were given a tour of the grounds, fell in love with it and vowed to come back and stay. So we did! Having just returned from a way too short two night visit to this dreamy property we are still in a swoony high from the experience.
We arrived on the 6AM flight from NYC and were met at the airport by a smiling taxi driver with a sign. Within minutes we were shown to our little private villa: paw paw!
The view from just about every square inch of this charming one bedroom was drop dead gorgeous. We jumped right into the hot tub and absorbed all the stunning scenery of pristine beach, clear blue water, lushly covered hills and the specks of rooftops lining St. george harbor in the distance.
The unit was perfectly outfitted with everything we could need. There were freshly cut flowers in vases, a flat screen TV mounted on the wall above the bed, lots of ice in the freezer, tons of fresh towels, a large wardrobe to hang our clothes, plenty of cushions for all the chairs and loungers. The only thing missing for us was a sun umbrella as there is very little shade on the deck.
I am a professional cook and did not want to think about the kitchen while on vacation but I was very impressed with the quality and range of utensils and cooking equipment supplied and would happily have been able to whip up a gourmet meal or two with comfort and ease. The fridge was stocked with enough food for us to make two breakfasts for ourselves, and I especially appreciated the large bowl of fresh fruit which I used to make fruit infused water to sip on the deck.
The beach is fantastic, lively but not at all crowded. There are plenty of shade trees to sit under. We loved the Aquarium restaurant, very beachy laid-back for lunch and cosily elegant at dinner. The food there was delicious and the service was friendly, gracious and efficient.
We enjoyed the infinity pool tucked into a beautifully landscaped corner of Maca Bana. The view from the pool is to die for and it is the perfect place to cool off after climbing the big hill up from the beach. Speaking of the hill- yes it is ridiculously steep, but blessedly short and quite manageable (we are in our mid 50's and relatively fit) we would find ourselves giggling during the whole climb up as the pitch is so extreme it just seems insurmountable and then behold! you are on top!
We loved our stay in Pawpaw so much that we had to be pried out with a crowbar and we can not stop thinking about a return visit. Two days is not enough. The price per night is almost as steep as the hill but once experienced it is hard to imagine staying anywhere else.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Maca Bana is an intimate boutique hotel comprising 7 artistically designed, solar-powered ‘banas’ with gorgeous ocean views and private massaging hot tubs above our tropical Aquarium Restaurant on Magazine Beach. Laid-back luxury and unrivaled privacy for a sensual & inspiring holiday experience in a warm atmosphere. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Splendia, Odigeo and Low Cost Holidays so you can book your Maca Bana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Maca Bana Hotel St. George`s
- Maca Bana St Georges
- Maca Bana Grenada/Saint George Parish