“Such a disappointment” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Caribbean Breeze

Caribbean Breeze
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in St. George's
Caribbean Breeze
Save Saved
You added Caribbean Breeze to your Saves list
P.O.Box 1364, St. George's, Grenada   |
Ranked #13 of 23 hotels in St. George's
London
“Such a disappointment”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2011

It is difficult to express just how disappointed we were with this supposedly “exquisite” accommodation (we booked the 1 bedroom apartment). In four decades of travelling the globe I don’t think we’ve ever found accommodation that fell so far short of our reasonable expectations – we’ve never been in a position where we had to up sticks and move elsewhere.

Given our dissatisfaction it would be easy to fall into the trap of giving a lot of overly subjective views, so I will try to guard against this and keep to the point and aim to be as objective as possible.

POSITIVES:-

Firstly the good points:

1. Nice quiet setting in pleasant gardens overlooking the golf course.

2. Fairly spacious accommodation.

3. Swimming pool (although we did not use it)

4. Two friendly dogs.

NEGATIVES:-

Now for the negatives. It is worth describing the overall layout of the apartment first. The house is on a slope with the ground level at the front of the house being higher than the ground level at the rear. When viewed from the front of the house the apartment is actually in the basement level (without any windows to the front of the house). The entrance to the apartment is down quite a number of steps at the back of the house. One enters into the sitting / dining area which receives adequate daylight. The kitchen area is one side of the hallway that leads to the bedroom, bathroom and utility room. The kitchen receives a certain amount of daylight spilling across from the sitting / dining area. The bathroom and utility room have no natural light. The bedroom has a row of narrow windows (I guess about 1 foot or so high) at ceiling level which equates to leg level on the outside (along the side of the swimming pool).

1. Bedroom
The bedroom was worst of all. The furniture consisted of two single beds pushed together to make a sort of king-sized bed, a bedside unit (with a bedside lamp), a small coffee table and a built-in wardrobe. Taking each of these in turn:-

- The bed had a mattress topper covered with sheets that were way too small. As a consequence the bedding moved around all over the place making things very uncomfortable indeed. The pillows were foam chip type and clearly old & lumpy – consequently these were also very uncomfortable. The sheets seemed to be poly/cotton (much more poly than cotton) and were so worn that they had “bobbles” all over them (again adding to the discomfort).

- The bedside unit had long since seen better days. One drawer was missing, one drawer had its handle broken away. The shade of the bedside lamp had several dents and stains.

- The small coffee table looked tired but was of little use anyhow.

- The wardrobe doors needed a good shove / yank to close / open them. Again this unit looked very tired and had clearly seen better days.

The small ceiling level bedroom windows half-opened and had mozzie screens. There was also a one speed (slow) ceiling fan. Overall the ventilation was very poor and we resorted to standing the floor fan from the sitting / dining area in the doorway to improve circulation (but this was quite noisy and so we resorted to ear-plugs - which didn’t help that much).

2. Sitting / Dining area.
Whilst being quite spacious the furniture was all quite old and tired. The sofa and armchairs had faded & stained cushions. The small bookcase had lumps missing out of it. The TV worked after a fashion, but the picture was so out of focus as to make it unusable. Lighting consisted of two small wall lights (one of which did not work) and a standard lamp.

3. Kitchen
One instantly got a feeling that things weren’t clean (e.g. greasy / sticky surfaces). As we started out with the intention of making a go of things (don’t ask me why, but that was before we’d had such a dreadful night’s sleep), we bought some cleaning materials and spent an hour or more cleaning utensils and surfaces. Of particular note was the cooker. Apart from the fact that the oven did not work, the whole of the top surface and the controls had a horrible greasy tacky feel to them. Lighting was provided by a grubby looking strip light.

4. Bathroom
Again the lighting was from a strip light. The bathroom was extremely spartan. Apart from the permanent fixtures (i.e. the basin, the shower unit and the toilet unit) the only additional items were a shower rail / curtain, a small towel rail, a soap dish (with a bar of soap) and a toothbrush holder (which was originally chrome but had become significantly pitted with rust). I’d liken the bathroom to the sort of facilities one might expect to find at a down market camp-site.

We also spoke with the occupiers of the cottage (in the grounds just outside the apartment). They had booked and paid in advance (for two weeks). They were clearly not happy with their accommodation, but having paid in advance they felt they were in quite a weak position.

Fortunately for us, we had not paid any monies in advance and left after the first night. We paid just for the one night. The owner wanted us to pay more but we stuck to our guns. With hindsight I feel that we shouldn’t have paid for the one night even, as, in our opinion, the accommodation has been seriously misrepresented on the owner’s website.

On telling the owner that we weren’t happy with the accommodation (we only described the issues with the bedroom as we did not wish to enter into protracted discussions – we just wanted out) and that we were leaving, she showed no interest in recognising our legitimate issues, but simply claimed that nobody else had complained. It is not possible to verify the veracity of her statement, but I would say that I find it stretches credibility.

Now, the owner may respond and say that if one had pointed out the problems things could have been addressed. That might have been fine if it was only one or two minor items. But given the extensive list of issues and general poor quality of the accommodation, this would have been completely unrealistic. This then begs the question as to how could the accommodation have been in such poor condition? Had it not been let out for a long time? Why hadn’t the owner taken the trouble to thoroughly inspect the unit beforehand? Or does the owner not realise what is required (or just doesn’t care)?

It is interesting to note (with hindsight) that the most recent of the guest comments on the owners website is from 2006. It is probably fair to say that this accommodation is way past its sell by date.

By way of trying to put the above comments in context, I would point out that we stayed in 3 other reasonably priced good quality accommodations on Grenada (all positively reviewed by me on TripAdvisor). It was only Caribbean Breeze that let the side down. We generally stay in small accommodations (B&Bs, studios, apartments etc.) all around the world and know what it is reasonable to expect. If anyone has any doubts, please see the other reviews that I’ve posted before.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

19 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
st helens, uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2009

We had a fantastic 8 night stay with Sue, Michael & the dogs in their lovely guest house. Admittedly, this may not be for everyone as it's a bit of a hike up the hill from Grande Anse beach. However, this walk is rewarded every day as you return home to such a peaceful setting overlooking the golf course. Not only this, Caribbean Breeze only costs a fraction of some of the places down at the beach and offers much more. Eating out can be expensive in Grenada, so having our own kitchen was a real bonus. If you are looking for a real getaway in a tranquil setting with helpful & friendly hosts, then look no further.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Lafayette, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

As other reviewers pointed out the hotel is on the top of a hill and was too much of a climb for me. If you are young and in shape you could walk to the beach, but that did not work for me. I am neither young or in shape (heart problems). The dogs are large and could be intimating but are truly friendly. Those two statements I hope are not seen as negatives but are meant to be informative. Neither of these two issues in any way detracted from my stay. My stay at Caribbean Breese was very enjoyable and very relaxing. It is a bit away from the beach but to get amount the privacy and quiet would not have been found near the main beach. The Caribbean Breeze hotel provides a truly relaxing atmosphere away from the hustle and bustle of the main beach area, which is what I was looking fro at a reasonable cost. I stay in the little bungalow and completely enjoyed the accommodations.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2009

I could not let another day go by without finally sitting down to write a review about this remarkable place and the even more amazing hosts, Sue and Michael, whom I think should get the Award for Best Hosts in the Caribbean. I am a traveler of many Caribbean islands. I have lived on several islands, including Carriacou, St. Thomas and the Dominican Republic. So, I know what I am talking about. First off, I had booked the cottage at Caribbean Breeze back in August 2006 for me and my then boyfriend. We were planning to sail to Grenada and stay at the cottage while we hauled out the sailboat. I exchanged emails with Sue several times as we worked out the details of when we wold arrive, how to get to the cottage, renting a car and so forth. Then, right before our scheduled sailing to Grenada, my partner was badly injured and the trip was cancelled. I sadly informed Sue that we would not be coming any more. Sue was not only completely understanding and sympathetic, but she emailed me a few times to ask about my partner's health all in a very friendly and caring manner. I never forgot how understanding she was at the sudden cancellation of a two week stay in her cottage. Fast forward three years later to 2009. My new and wonderful boyfriend and I decide to plan a birthday trip to Grenada. And I know EXACTLY where I want to go. I email Sue and she not only remembers me but is thrilled I am finally coming to visit. We arrive for a week's stay and Sue and Michael and the cottage made up perhaps the loveliest time I have spent in the Caribbean -- and that is saying a lot! The couple welcomed me and my boyfriend with great rum punches, and regaled us with stories and laughter immediately. After long days at the beach, we went up to the big house to hang out with Sue and Michael several times during our stay and on my actual birthday, they and some guests all sang happy birthday to me as I blew out candles on my cake and we ate and drank and had a lovely time. Sue and Michael even gave me a beautiful birthday card. It felt so much like family and not at all like a vacation. We ended up extending our stay for two extra days. We found it so hard to leave. The cottage itself was cozy and surrounded by gorgeous flowers, bushes and trees. The air was perfumed. The dogs, which at first sight scared me, were so cute and lovable. And frankly, I liked knowing they were right there. Sue and Michael told me if they made me nervous they would keep them upstairs but we ended up falling in love with them The walk to and from Grand Anse beach was excellent exercise and there was a charming shop along the way that we stopped off at for a beer and cola. It also sold roti and other island dishes at very low prices, so it is a great place for an island lunch with an amazing view of the sea. We rented Sue's and Michael's jeep for two days and drove all around Grenada exploring the entire island. All in all, I highly recommend Caribbean Breeze to anyone looking to go beyond the usual tourist resort stay and who want to feel like part of something grander than just a vacation. Caribbean Breeze is real life, real people, new friendships, crazy fun as well as a place in which you could meditate and relax amidst nature. I did yoga on the porch of the cottage every morning and inhaling those sweet flowering bushes was intoxicating!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2009

I had spent months looking for an adequate apartment in Grenada & was so happy I happened upon this lovely setting while searching the Internet. We spent 2 weeks there in March & it was warming up but our spacious 1-bedroom apartment (with laundry room) had a lovely breeze, the view across the golf course, day and night was gorgeous. I could not find fault with anything. Sue & Michael made our stay so smooth, even arranging pick-up and drop-off @ the airport. They are a wealth of information, from using local busses, where to eat, how to get around, recommending taxi drivers, tours, and places of interest. We used their rental vehicle & thought everything was very reasonably priced. This is self-catering and the only way I would go but the apartment was thoroughly cleaned by a lovely local lady, linens changed frequently, in fact one morning I had to tell her not to bother ironing our sheets. The gardens are a treat, the air smells of perfume; Michael grows the most beautiful orchids & makes the best rum punch. We walked down the hill to Coconut Beach several times & it was very pleasant (we’re in our 60’s) unless you are totally disabled. Then you can either pay the bus driver a few extra EC or hire a reasonably priced taxi to get you back up from the supermarket, beach or restaurant. After reading another comment I would have to say the steps to our apartment were gradual with handrails & why would anyone carry water. I think we would have been very hot staying @ beachfront & I hate air-conditioning!

I am not a dog fan, but this is home to four of the best behaved I’ve ever encountered. Do not have qualms about booking; they are kept in the owner’s quarters when guests are there & hardly ever bark, unless in greeting to another dog running on the golf course. When we’d return after a day @ the beach they were seldom seem, in fact when we rowdily departed for our flight @ 5:00 AM there was not a peep out of them. I left our balcony gate open one day & took a photo of the young one on our doorstep. She wouldn’t even cross the threshold when I invited her in.

This was our second time to Grenada & the lovely people haven’t changed. We were met by passers-by on the walk downhill with eye contact and a greeting. Even the teenagers are charming and polite.

We would return to Grenada & Caribbean Breeze without a doubt @ the first opportunity.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Norfolk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2008

We stayed with Sue & Michael not forgetting the 4 dogs, in Feb/March this year and what a great holiday they gave us, we were in the cottage which was ideal as we had our own space but, always had Sue & Michael on hand for any information we needed, you could not want for more and if you stay here make sure you have a spare packet of biscuits at breakfast time for the dogs!!!!!!!!!!!. We had a jeep to explore the island which we found to be very interesting but, be warned there are no road signs so you do need a good map, available at the tourist office in St George, and do not be afraid to ask as you will find everyone very helpful after all they want you to enjoy your holiday and come back again as we hope to one day and it will be Caribbean Breeze without a doubt. Terry & Sandy, Norfolk England

• Liked — The peace and quiet
  • Disliked — Not being able to walk to nearest attractions
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Norfolk,UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2008

Tired and in need of a bit of tlc, we booked a fortnight at Caribbean Breeze with Sue and Michael, having found them on the internet. From the moment the taxi dropped us off, the owners set about making our holiday as special as they could and, let's be honest, on such a beautiful island they were off to a good start! They were waiting to greet us and their first gesture was to offer us each a large glass of home made rum punch - most unexpected and also most welcome after such a long flight - and we were made to feel totally at home by their friendly dogs, who adopted us from the off. Big dogs yes, but daft as brushes - four legs waving in the air to enable you to tickle their tummies. Sue and Michael were always available to help us and we ended up renting their car for the duration of our stay and with their help, we managed to find all the best views, best restaurants and best beaches. Our apartment was HUGH - even a laundry room - and enough space to hold a ball in the living room! The view from the verandah is wonderful - soft greenery with the odd humming bird whirring in and out, then out over their garden where Michael grows orchids, and across the golf course to the hills beyond. Breakfast was a special time sitting there in the dappled shade, with the wonderful smells on the breeze, and I will never forget it. We loved our holiday which was our best ever - the island is spectacular, the sea warm, the sand (and the dogs) soft, the hospitality at Caribbean Breeze amazing. On our departure, Sue even gave us the use of one of their own private en suite bedrooms for a last minute wash and brush up before we set off for the airport, as we couldn't go without having one last dip in their pool. We WILL be back!

• Liked — Friendliness
  • Stayed February 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Caribbean Breeze? Share your experiences!