“Dive vacation” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 24 hotels in St. George's
Southern ON
“Dive vacation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

True Blue was a lovely boutique hotel. The rooms were roomie and well kept, everyone really enjoyed their time here. The only downside was the Dogey Dock, it's the restaurant/bar at the resort. The bartender was always in a miserable mood, didn't want to serve you in the daytime drinks were terrible and never made the same way twice. We dove the week and would finish our morning dive only to come in to the only place to eat lunch and have extremely poor and slow serve. I know they do a big business at night but they should remember people are paying
and staying during the day. It would be good if they made trips around the pool area to see if people want anything, this isn't an all inclusive so you would think they would be more motivated to sell their food & drink.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
TrueBlueBayResort, Guest Relations Manager at True Blue Bay Boutique Resort, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Thank you for your comments. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and also that you let us know about the poor daytime service that you experienced in our restaurant during your stay. Thanks to your feedback, we are able to take steps to correct this. We have had meetings with the day staff and are also organizing some refresher training for them. We have also started offering bar service at our pools, per your suggestion. Again, thank you for taking the time to post your review. We look forward to your next visit and know you will see a dramatic change in our restaurant service.

342 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

This is a unique resort . The drive to the resort is a short distance from the airport and the first thing you notice driving in are the brightly coloured buildings all painted in blues, greens and pinks. Next thing you notice are the staffs big smiles .
Let me explain my only concern first to get it out of the way. I think we were one of the first guests booked all inclusive from Air transat . Staff were unfamiliar with this so it was a challenge knowing what was included and what was not. I carried around a paper with the list of drinks included. My husband did feel stress signing for every meal not knowing for sure what was not included. For example we were told we were able to order a la carte with the exception of lobster and steak. On the bottom of the menus was often written "steak and lobster is available on request" . One night flank steak was one of the regular choices on the menu, my husband ordered it and we were charged. We were thinking the "steak " meant tenderloin or filet . We should have asked but did not think about that choice. That out of the way let me tell you all the wonderful things about True Blue.
Our room was looking over the bay. Before breakfast we drank coffee sitting on our room's porch balcony and watched the ships sail in and out of the marina. Our room was lovely . It was very large , freshly painted , very clean , comfortable bed, quiet, large shower (no tub) and everything worked well. It was just perfect for us. The room was up hill from the dining area and up stairs but worth the climb. The food was so good we needed exercise and the climbing to our room helped wear off calories. The staff were very helpful helping us decide which excursions to go on and booking our choices. We enjoyed eating our meals on the Docks and meeting people from all over the world. We also enjoyed the evening entertainment. Often it was a saxophone player with a singer. One night we watched Latin dancing. We are the "early to bed people " so we never had problems with a noisy or crowed bar. As I said the food was delicious .The servings were "huge" much more then we needed. Regarding the pools,I don't know if this is typical but often we were the only people using the pools. I think many people are divers so they are out for the day , others are tourists like us seeing the country side or some may go to the "beach". There is a daily free shuttle that you need to book the day before going to the beach letting you stay for about 4 hours which we did not use. The on site Boutique was a cute little place to shop .
Finally , for us this was one of the best vacations we have ever had. The Grenadian people are lovely people , there is a rich history and lots to see and do. This resort is beautiful and very friendly . Once they get the all inclusive sorted out it will be perfect.

Room Tip: Email ahead and ask for what you want as to twin or king bed. Alisha and Kaylee are very helpful. Th...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
TrueBlueBayResort, Guest Relations Manager at True Blue Bay Boutique Resort, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on TripAdvisor, we are glad you had a wonderful experience and enjoyed your accommodation, the facilities and helpful staff.

We are sorry for the confusion with our all-inclusive plan. We have guests booked on the all-inclusive plan and breakfast only plan. The nightly menu board is shown to both types of guests, which is why it shows all the items there are to choose from. All in-house guests are presented with a bill to sign for accounting purposes. We apologize for the inconvenience and are sorry that it caused you some stress. However, we are glad you enjoyed the food, thank you for the rave reviews :) We strive to provide superior meals in comparison to other all-inclusive establishments which often offer tasteless buffets.

Again we appreciate your comments and look forward to your next visit.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Almost perfect spot
What a great vacation! I wanted to stay at True Blue and wanted to dive also. I got pricing off the Internet, then called the dive shop Aquanuts and asked about package deals. The all inclusive price with diving was cheaper than just the room rate off the Internet, so basically my diving was free.
True Blue is a great resort. Nice and spread out, slightly hilly terrain. Very friendly staff remembered our names the next day. Rooms were spacious, great views. Solar water heaters on the roofs provided very hot water, not as much pressure as a typical American shower but adequate. Hobee Cats and kayaks were free and a fun way to spend the afternoon. Not a single bug bite in three days there. Be sure to pack sun screen, it's strong but the temps were mild in March.
Diving was great. Aquanuts had no extra charge for the house 30% mix so we took an overnight certification course and dove Nitrox the next day, (ask for a Nitrox coupon at the hotel front desk for half off the course). Flamingo bay was the best reef I've seen in years, and the underwater sculptures in the marine park are not to be missed.
Restaurant was very casual, they are on island time and don't rush, which takes a little getting used to. Free breakfast was included. Dinner was great. After the sticker shock, (prices are listed in Eastern Caribbean dollars, 1:2.67), costs were definitely reasonable.
A huge drawback for me was that the wifi was inop. I was told they were working on it, and there were free computers in the lobby for guests, but wifi wasn't working for the three days I was there.
I'd also recommend a bus tour of the island, Grenada is a beautiful island. No fitness center and spa is closed on Sunday.

Room Tip: Ask for Indigo.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
We are happy you had a great time diving and enjoyed your stay with us. We are sorry for the difficulties you experienced with our WiFi, normally it works well, however during your short stay with us, we were experiencing difficulties. Our technicians have resolved this issue and are constantly looking for ways to improve our wireless service. We hope you will visit us again and experience these improvements.

Thank you for your comments, we welcome guests feedback as it enables us to provide better service.
Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Hotel was clean. Very friendly staff. I wish they had a person to have bar service at pool. I would recommend this hotel and would hope to stay here again.
There was a rum tasting on tuesday, but they charged for the tasting. NO problem, but wish they had mentioned it up front.

Room Tip: Spa was very expensive. No Gym. Romantic hotel off the beaten path. Food was good, I wish the se...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
We appreciate your feedback as it assists us in planning what new services to offer in the future. Plans to build a gym are in place and we are discussing the possibility of offering bar service at the pool.

To clarify, the rum tasting sessions demonstrate how to make a cocktail using Grenada's local rum. Tasting these cocktails are free of charge, however if a guest wishes to taste the individual rums this may be done at a cost. We are sorry this was not explained to you, but hope that you did enjoy the session nonetheless. As you suggested we will explain this to guests in the future.

Thank you for recommending us and we hope you will be able to visit us again.
Toronto, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Every time I visit this cute resort, it has something changed/improved. This February, I noticed freshly painted fence and some buildings into bright colours.,new garden sculptures and additional kids' playground next to giftshop (for parents while shopping)., also a new slide inswimming pool for kids to play...So it looks like True Blue became even more Family/Kids friendly...This a good point! I wish to bring my kids to Grenada! It's still my dream, but it can come true...one day...I'd love to bring my superactive kids to Grenada! #1 I'd like to go with them to Grand Etang Forest Reserve, so they could see (feed, or pat , like my wife did) wild Mona Monkeys. it's such a Great experience. Also, hike a bit around the Grand Etang lake #2 visit Anadale falls, especially early morning, on a day when no cruise ships arriving, so only my family would be there to swim. #3 Royal Mount Carmel waterfall...There is such a nice hike from road to waterfall, and also, refreshing pool....#4 Gouyave Nutmeg Factory, to get a sense where spices coming fom. #5 Morne Fendue Plantation House. Where princess Margaret and Ronald Reagan used to stay. I really enjoyed visiting this old place. #6 Turtle Watching on Levera Beach #7 visit Belmont Estate.
..and between all these trips in Grenada, we'd rest in True Blue Resort. That's the plan...Next time with kids!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
new hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

This was our first visit to Grenada, and we spent 8 days at True Blue while diving with Aquanauts Dive Center, which is on-site. The service started even before we left. Having been stranded upon arrival at airports before, I emailed True Blue to confirm a pick-up. Someone responded within an hour (!) with confirmation, and sure enough they were there upon arrival. We arrived on a Friday night, and by the time we'd checked in, unpacked and readied our dive gear for the next morning, it was 9:45 or so. We went down to True Blue's restaurant, Dodgy Dock, for a drink and light snack. We ordered drinks and decided to get chips and salsa. When we asked for the bill, the waitress told us that she wasn't going to charge us for the chips/salsa as Friday was Mexican theme night. We experienced many more instances of exceptional service during the week. The staff without fail- whether waitstaff, groundskeepers, cleaning staff, front desk staff- always had a greeting and a smile when they saw us. The rooms were extremely clean, and most important for us, the beds were very comfortable. Not that we spent much time in the room, but cable TV out of FLA kept us informed about a big storm at home, and wifi was available for free (yes, free- what a concept!). The food at Dodgy Dock was very good, the theme nights for the most part good (and even if you didn't like anything from the theme menu, you could order off the lunch/snacks menu). The desserts- I can't say enough about the kahlua cake and the sticky toffee pudding. The nutmeg ice cream was the best we had on the island. And the drinks were excellent- so often, we find mixed drinks in the islands to be overly sweet, but Dodgy Dock's were perfect. Most nights had live entertainment, which was great (both the quality of the entertainment and the idea of providing it). Cheryl kept our room clean and even, when she found out we were diving every day, made it a point to clean our room first so that when we'd come back from our morning dives, we'd have fresh towels for the afternoon dive.

As other reviewers have mentioned, there is no beach at True Blue, but the pool was nice (and clean), and the views of the ocean were spectacular. We weren't there to beach it anyway, so didn't even notice the 'missing' beach until others mentioned it. I believe they have a shuttle to Grand Anse beach anyway...

We did rent a car for three days and had fun exploring the island- driving up into the rainforest to look for monkeys, circumnavigating the island (gorgeous views along the coast roads), visiting Belmont Estates (information/interesting explanation of the cacao to cocoa process), and the Friday Night Gouyave Fish Fry (eh- I'd skip it next time and splurge at the Beach House)/

Everything about our stay was exceptional- from the people, to the accommodations, to the island itself (this is the friendliest island in the Caribbean we've been to..), and there is no question that we'll stay at True Blue when we return to Grenada, which we most certainly will (and soon...). We loved, loved, loved, Grenada and its people!

Room Tip: Rooms vary by price as to ocean-front, etc. We stayed in a 'standard' bay view room, and it...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Bridgetown, Barbados
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

This boutique hotel was excellent in terms of the grand ocean view and the relaxing rustic feel of the rooms. The one challenge I had was that I madea reservation online with my credit card, only to arrive and find out that my room has not been reserved! After waitng for about a half hour, the receptionist advised that I got a slight upgrade for the inconvenience.
The food a True Blue is excellent - the drinks at the Bar are original and fun. It's a wonderful place to stay for the romantics at heart, but you can also have a great time with a group of girlfriends who have a fancy for the exotic!
I'd recommend True Blue if your budget is middle-upper pocket, as it is indeed one of the finer hotels on the island!

Room Tip: Choose the top floors, as it's less noisy atop
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Been to True Blue Bay Boutique Resort? Share your experiences!