“New Year's Eve” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 23 hotels in St. George's
E. Sussex England
“New Year's Eve”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Having been recommended by other businesses on Grenada, my wife and I together with another couple decided to spend the New Year celebrations at the True Blue Bay Resort, so this review is based on one night's experiences. The major recommendations were regarding the amazing fireworks display. We met one of the proprietors, Russ, who enquired where we were staying for the rest of our vacation, when I told him he retorted that if any place was less like a Palace then that was it. I was rather taken aback as I had just seen this same man on the BBC trying to promote Grenadian tourism. The accommodation was nice but expensive, no beach but a marina, there are 2 pools at which you cannot obtain any drinks, soft or alcoholic. We paid an all inclusive price for the New Year buffet meal and the later party. Having had a pretty standard meal we moved to the party location where I was presented with a bill for wine, although I was informed earlier that drinks were included. I was then informed that this did not cover a price of a bottle. I then noticed a lot of people entering the party with bottles of Champagne, I asked if we were entitled to this and was told that this was only for the early entrants. I stated we had been here since 2pm that afternoon and were residents with all - inclusive tickets. I eventually had to ask to see the Bar manager who eventually somewhat reluctantly gave us the champagne. I noticed that other residents were being side lined in preference to the evening revellers. The following morning when checking out I explained to the reception staff that I was not at all happy with the service we had received the previous evening and that it had really ruined our New Year celebrations, especially as the bill for the wine was still on my account. The receptionist proceeds to ring, I can only assume the Bar and Restaurant staff and thoroughly admonished them for their service, then sincerely apologised to us on behalf of the resort and removed the wine charge from the account.
I was very relieved to return to the "Palace" for the remainder of our stay. For the record the fireworks would have been absolutely spectacular had it not have been for the midnight downpour.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
TrueBlueBayResort, Manager at True Blue Bay Boutique Resort, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
We appreciate your review as guest feedback is important in helping us provide better service. Though we are not located directly on the beach, we do offer complimentary shuttle service to Grand Anse beach and there is also a beach located a two-minute walk from our resort.

We are sorry for the frustrations you experienced at our New Year's party, but are glad that your issues were resolved. We have passed your comments on to our management and staff so that for this year's party we can better plan to serve our in-house guests.

It was a pity that there was a down pour during the fireworks. We plan on having a spectacular display again this year. Hopefully it wouldn't rain but unfortunately we can't control the weather. Again thank you for your comments.

347 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Vero Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

We're do I begin the staff at this True Blue they are so Friendly.I truly loved my two story hotel room with a view.I will be staying at this hotel for my next visit. The hotel is very relaxing place to stay.the food excellent.I can not wait for them to build there gym.shall I say more LOVED IT

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Edinburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

This is one of the friendliest hotels I've stayed in (even by Caribbean standards!). Extremely courteous and cheery staff goes a long way to making a great holiday.
Room was big, with A/C, huge shower with loads of free toiletries etc. Really handy having a kitchen to prepare meals, there wasn't a oven, but 2 hot plates and fridge. Spacious balcony where you can sit out and enjoy the sunsets overlooking the bay.
Breakfast was basic with not much variety, but still very tasty and the omelettes were always a highlight.
Recommend going kayaking in the bay, both the pools were clean and beautiful to chill by.
Only negative was we ate at the dodgy dock 4 of the 6 nights, they seemed to tempt you with special offer flyers, then there was no evidence of the special offer on where you sat down. When we queried why they seemed to make up a offer for us, just a bit odd. But the food was very nice, along with some fruity cocktails made for 4 nice evenings...the outlook was incredible right over the sea.
We had been exploring the island for a week prior to the stay, so came to relax and not leave. If you plan to leave/get supplies/see other restaurants etc, then you'll be relying on taxi's (expensive) or buses (short walk) or do as I did and run to the shops (3ish miles).
You could find resorts that are more glitz and glam, but like most great vacations, they are made up by friendly locals and staff and they are in abundance here. Highly recommended.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Let's get the negatives out of the way first. No beach, mosquitoes, there, done and finished. Now let's get to what is great about this place. The staff could not be friendlier. Starting at the front desk with Sarah, Devienie, Nicole and Alicia, these young ladies were gracious, wonderful and diligent. Diligent because my son and I had luggage issues with our airline, and these ladies kept after the airline with updates for me each time I walked past the front desk.

let's move onto their restaurant, the dodgy dock. staff was also wonderful, but they are overshadowed by the water views the minute you step near the entrance to this restaurant, which in actuality, is a dock with tables, chairs, a bar, club seats and what i seem to recall is a tarp overhead to shield the restaurant from the sun. you literally can sit on at a table at the end of the dock. there was a cool breeze, madonna on the sound system (a little too much madonna for me, but they changed the music the second and third afternoons and nights i spent there), and best of all...a lot of rum drinks.

I tried most of the rum drinks while i was there because i loved hanging out with the staff and being so close to two of my favorite things...the water and alcohol. i enjoyed the food here, but i preferred a restaunt on the beach at grand anse more called umbrella's mainly for the food, not the ambiance. the ambiance at dodgy dock cannot be beat. it is the caribbean experience everyone needs to see first hand. lastly, "continental" breakfast is included in the meal, however, i did not find any danishes or croissants or what i consider continental. there is an omelette station with the best tasting omelettes i have had in a long long time. there is fresh fruit, juice, coffee and soda, upon request. i loved the breakfast. my son stayed in my room rather than at the dorm just so he could have breakfast (but be mindful of the st george bus schedule, miss it and you're hoofing it back or wait an hour).

I stayed in two different rooms during my stay. both rooms had balconies with water views. they were nice and clean. there were flowers adorning the bathroom area. the air conditioner worked fine. I wouldn't say the rooms were luxurious, but they were large with king sized beds. I spent some time lounging on the wooden deck chairs on the balconie overlooking the bay, but frankly, i enjoyed being at the dodgy dock more.

I was there to take my son to school at st. georges university so i was able to take advantage of the st. georges free bus to take me to and from campus to the resort each day. the problem is that the bus runs hourly. the st georges bus to grand anse seems to run every ten minutes. although this resort is the closest to the school, the resorts of grand anse may actually be more accessible because of the frequency of the st. georges buses.

this resort is walking distance to the university. i walked it at 1 pm in the afternoon in 80 degree weather in january and did not break a sweat. make no mistake, walking from the resort, though close with paved sidewalks is not like a stroll through the modern streets of new york or chicago. it is a bit "rural,"

lastly, those mosquito's....they are no fun. wear a hazmat suit if you need to use the computers at the front desk, otherwise, it will be feeding time for the mosquitoes as you print your boarding passes. oh, more lastly, the resort has different functions each night. one night was astronomy night with drinks and other refreshments by the pool while an expert explained everything you couldn't care less about regarding the stars in the sky, which were amazingly visable. there were other themed nights also, but i spent them with my son at the university, but had i been around, i would have gone to a couple more of them.

Room Tip: if you don't want to hear restaurant noise, stay away from the "treetop" rooms
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Montego Bay, Jamaica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Nothing Fancy here, but its a good, clean and safe place to lay your head. Went on a business trip and so did not spend too much time on the resort. However staff was courteous and helpful. The breakfast included was average but the rooms were spacious and habitable. Soap, Shampoo and Conditioner are in the Rooms, Cable options are sufficient, kitchenette, ironing board and iron, air conditioning and the WIFI works. There is a play ground for small kids and the pool is nice for an "afternoon dip." The Restaurant and Bar on property have decent food and good drinks but the prices are $$$$$. Tru Blu is close to a club called Banana's which is a great hang spot often frequented by the students at St. Georges University but because of the multiple locations and with their own DJs at the club you dont always have to mix with the students. This hotel is great for persons travelling on Business or Solo, groups such as friends are welcome, however it would depend on the group dynamic and vation options.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Best thing about this hotel is the staff who were all friendly and charming. Worst thing is its location - without a car, you will be marooned. Liat lost our luggage so we wasted 2 days before we could hire one. There is a hotel courtesy bus to Grande Anse beach but otherwise you are miles from supermarkets to make use of the self catering facilities in the rooms. Food in the restaurant was expensive for what it was and a bit erratic. My partner's shrimp salad was quite frankly, not up to scratch. Grenada is a beautiful island however and this hotel one of the better value ones of its class. Shame about the gaudy colours and cheap fake design of the lower swimming pool. Christmas decorations were very sweet.

Room Tip: Book a hire car via hotel in advance
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
TrueBlueBayResort, Guest Relations Manager at True Blue Bay Boutique Resort, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Thank you for your review, we are glad you found our staff personable and helpful and also appreciated your other comments which we would like to address.

While it can be a good idea to rent a car for longer stays so you can explore the island on your own, our concierge is always willing to organize taxi, tours or any other activities outside the resort. Hopefully you had a chance to take advantage of this service while you were here.

Most of our guests enjoy our food however we have passed your comments on to our chef so that he can ensure that quality is maintained and at a reasonable price.

The colors used at the Infinity pool are meant to give guests a "Caribbean feel", we understand that this may not meet everybody's preference but we are happy that you enjoyed our Caribbean Christmas decorations.

Thank you again for your comments and we hope to see you again soon.
St. Catharines, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

We chose this place because of it's proximity to St. George's University, as we were planning to visit our son there. It is literally directly across the Bay, and just a 13 minute walk away from the campus.

We had a waterfront suite, and loved waking up to the beautiful view of the bay each morning. The suites have a lower balcony off the living area and another balcony off of the bedroom. Even though we didn't use the kitchenette, it seemed to have anything you'd need to fix simple meals.

There are two pools, one on the beach and the other up higher. Both have plenty of shaded area to escape from the sun. If you are unable to navigate slopes and stairs, this is probably not the place for you, as the resort is built on multiple levels with sloping paths and stairs leading from one area to the next. There is plenty of lush natural vegetation all around, and you really feel as though you are in the tropics.

We loved the Dodgy Dock, a restaurant literally on a large dock jutting out over the water. Whether for the complimentary breakfasts that are included with the stay or for a meal or just a cocktail in the evening, it was a fun relaxing place to sit and soak in the view. Staff was friendly and helpful. In the evenings there was live music at times. We were never bothered by the music at night, even when we went to our room early.

For a simple lunch meal, there are several options within a ten minute walk. At the top of the driveway turn left, and then take the first left again. You'll come to an area of outdoor food vendors with picnic tables that the students from St. George's use. Good selections and inexpensive.

One of the most beautiful beaches on the island is Grand Anse, and the hotel provides a complimentary ride to and from the beach. Just let them know when you'd like to go and be picked up. There's a great lunch place right on the beach. Umbrellas is in the name and the food and drinks were terrific.

It's worth it to arrange for a driver to take you around the island, and the resort has a concierge who will arrange that for you. We arranged ours privately, but the price given on the hotel's bulletin board seemed reasonable and I heard guests speaking positively of their experience with the all day tour booked through the hotel.

All in all, a delightful vacation and I'd stay here again if I was going to the island.

Room Tip: Loved the waterfront suites.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to True Blue Bay Boutique Resort? Share your experiences!