“Not perfect, but close” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 24 hotels in St. George's
New York
“Not perfect, but close”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We went for the beachfront cottage and had a great time. Beautiful view, warm ocean water, cool ocean breeze, excellent restaurant, good service, great bar- try the rum punch. We were looking for a secluded quiet place and found it under a tree covered with flowers next to the water. We are bird watchers but didn't want to go on strenuous hikes but a good variety of birds stopped by that tree. Very good spa.

Now, to nitpick:
The restaurant can be a bit loud. Not a problem, they deliver the same menu to your room. The restaurant has an Italian theme, but I didn't come to the Caribbean for pasta. Again, not a problem, there is enough Caribbean food, seafood, Amazing nutmeg ice cream, and a pasta with a nutmeg cream sauce.

The noise for the restaurant can be heard from our cottage. Not as quiet as we'd like, but it closed by 10 most nights.

The owner has two dogs that play in the Ocean and approach guests soaking wet. They soil the beach, which is cleaned regularly, but I'd prefer not to encounter wet dogs and smells on vacation.

All in all, we'd return to Laluna and pay the upgrade for the cottage again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

221 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Trinidad
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My husband and I could not have asked for anything more when we made Laluna our honeymoon destination! It was very peaceful and relaxing which was EXACTLY what we needed after the hustle and craziness of wedding planning! Our little cottage was very quaint and sweet- in a kind of rural luxurious way....lol! If you are looking for a fun party vibe then surely Laluna is not your style! We had a ball- lazing on the beach, snorkeling, curling up in our daybed outside our cottage- it was simply blissful! The drinks at the bar were awesome and the music was something else....so ethereal and beautiful- I actually asked them to send me some of their playlists from the bar and they quite happily obliged :) The bed was super comfortable.... Our plunge pool was COLD....lol! Although we did try it out one afternoon ;) In all the days we stayed there I never saw anyone in the pool....the beach is very peaceful and it's the place to be! We did a tour with Lennox on Valentine's Day and he was very sweet to take us to Honeymoon Falls.....definitely let the hotel link you up with him he is THE best on the island and we got to take the tour all by ourselves :-D The food was really, really great- can't say enough about that- LOVED the creme brulee....we really had an amazing time on our laid back luxurious honeymoon in Laluna.....
The couples massage was so good- if you can, definitely book one ;)

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I own a neighbouring hotel so did not try the accommodation but went over for dinner. It was a very nice evening. Other reviews have talked about a difficult access road but we had no difficulty at all and it is a lovely short drive from Grand Anse area. On arrival at the property by car you are directed to the car park which is well lit. Facing the beach there is a lovely bar area to your right with comfortable chairs and a very nice atmosphere and the restaurant is to your left. The service was excellent and the food good. I had the daily ravioli special in a beetroot sauce and it was delicious. Dining companions had seafood linguine. The glass of beer that I ordered was served ice cold. It is one of the best places on the Island that we have eaten for pasta. I would recommend it and we will definitely go back.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Enjoyed the seclusion of this property and would recommend it to others. It's well-known as a luxury boutique hotel and we stayed for four nights of our honeymoon, splitting our time between LaLuna and Mount Hartman Bay Estate.

The food at the restaurant is pretty good, but not the best we had in Grenada- we really enjoyed the Beach House next door (the only place within walking distance). Beach House is pricey, but worth the spend in our opinion. And we enjoyed The Cave at Mount Hartman, worth traveling to even if you aren't staying there.

The rooms at LaLuna were beautiful. Very private if you don't have anyone next door (as we didn't) - but I imagine if there were neighbors it could make the romantic-vibe of the private pool a little less so. The outdoor bathrooms can be a little muggy, but the having the outdoor shower more than made up for it.

I would have to say that I'd likely give this rating a 4.75 if I could, but I'm rounding up. I loved our stay and would go again, but our expectations weren't exceeded. A consistently attentive staff would have helped ...some staff members were AWESOME, others just seemed to disappear when we needed them the most, it was always a gamble. Also, this is terribly critical, but the much raved-about bath products had a disappointing long list of ingredients, which included parabens. I'm a sucker for the small details and it was a letdown to see that the products LaLuna raves about were something I'd never consider buying.

Yet, we really enjoyed the spa - wonderful service and fantastic treatments. We also took full advantage of the free access to non-motorized water sport equipment like snorkels & fins, paddle boards and the kayaks. We took the kayak over to Grand Ans beach for a drink at Mount Cinnamon, which was another hotel we considered - I was relived we chose LaLuna and Mount Hartman for our trip.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
LONDON
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

I should first of all say that my husband liked the hotel far more than I …. What I didn't like was our deluxe cottage which was very gloomy requiring lights on during the day and the Balinese style decor, if that's what it was, didn't do it for me. There was a strange absence of drawers, a concrete cubby hole arrangement with rough wooden slats for clothes wasn't ideal, everything was on display. Shower and toiletries were good,

I was recovering from a bad knee injury so the climb up to and the steepish decent down proved irksome. All the cottages I believe involve a climb of one sort of another(not beach).

The hotel's big plus is it's laid back atmosphere, go there to chill, chat with pleasant and helpful staff, the restaurant and bar particularly pleasant at night, the beach is fine but the sand in some places was a bit black.

Food good, especially the pasta and seafood (according to my husband). I'm a vegetarian and there were one of two issues with the menu as far as I was concerned. Tonno e fagioli (tuna) has a V symbol on the menu!

One of the pasta specials,ravioli, unfortunately, came dressed with walnuts to which I am allergic, the chef said he would have to prepare fresh pasta as the ravioli contained more walnuts and lobster …… I wasn't made aware of the fish element when the special was described, I think these are two areas that needs to be addressed as so many people have nut allergies these days it quite important that dishes with nuts are highlighted and proper vegetarians don't eat fish, meat or fowl. Restaurant staff were only too happy to help meet dietary requirements.

My husband had three spa treatments and said they were really good. We were only at Laluna for a few days so didn't do any trips.

The Beach House restaurant, literally at the end of the beach, was recommended as somewhere outside the hotel to eat.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

We just love LaLuna . It has just the right balance for us . Laid back luxury !
The food is good , sometimes lacking on presentation , but very tasty ( lobster ravioli ) . Pasta is their speciality , with ingredients from their organic garden .
A new edition is the gym , next door to the yoga pavilion and fantastic massage complex . This gym has two types of bike , an elliptical trainer and a running machine . Weights, a punchbag and ,best of all , air conditioning .
I have read some reviews about lack of service . I , personally , have never had a problem . It is the Caribbean and I like the slower pace . It makes you step off the world a bit . I found the staff to be very attentive .
The hotel is the only thing on a huge stretch of beach , with just a restaurant on the other end . It is possible to be the only 2people on it . Luxury !
Nothing can beat watching the sun go down , with one of their delicious cocktails on the palm fringed beach . Try it and love it .

Room Tip: The stairs to the rooms , set on a steep hill , can be very draining when it's hot . However , t...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Metropolis, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

We just spent a week at Laluna and absolutely loved it! We have been to several different Islands, but Grenada was the cleanest and friendliest. We loved the seclusion of the resort, sometime we had the beach all to ourselves. The entire property was always clean and manicured. The room was comfortable and clean. My wife had a concern about the open air bathroom, but that was dismissed early because it was a very enjoyable atmosphere just being able to see the ocean views while showering added a certain charm to the room. Our room was at the very top (#13) and we didn't mind the stairs (If you have any physical limitations this resort especially the upper level rooms is not for you). The entire staff was pleasant and was eager to make your stay enjoyable; especially Tracy, whatever you needed she was there to help and had a smile the whole time. The service was great at the bar and restaurant, we did not think it was slow or lacking (remember you are on island time, relax).

The activities at Laluna just made the experience that much better. My wife stated the the massage at the spa was the best she has received. We both loved the yoga sessions, it was so relaxing to hear the waves and see the ocean while relaxing with yoga.

One thing that is a must if you go to Laluna, the waterfall excursion with Lennox. The hike is on the difficult side, but well worth the trip. Lennox is a wonderful host, you learn about all the native flowers, spices, and trees while on the hike. It was the best part of our vacation.

We also went to Fish Friday, it was good to see a local festival even though it's a long ride to the town. If you need to go anywhere on the island, request Elvis or Lennox. They will take good care of you.

We would definitely come back to Laluna, it was paradise!

Room Tip: Do not rent a car, driving in Grenada is a challenge. It is much easier to rent taxis.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
LalunaOwner, Owner at Laluna Hotel, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review on your very relaxed stay at Laluna. We are happy that you made it out on the excursions with our personal guide. Lennox is truly wonderful in helping you to experience what Grenada is about, with it's local flavour. We hope that we see you again in the near future.
ciao

Been to Laluna Hotel? Share your experiences!