“Magical Evening and Perfect Day at Savvy's Beach Cabana” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #14 of 49 restaurants in St. George's
Cuisines: Caribbean, Mediterranean
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Description: At Savvy's we offer an eclectic mix of English gastro-pub favorites, West Indian fayre and fresh local seafood. We focus growing, sourcing and using the best of fresh, seasonal, local produce which is then simply prepared and elegantly presented. The stylishly designed interior provides a comfortable contemporary feel to what has already become one of the most popular destinations in Grenada. The view of Grande Anse Beach from the restaurant's terrace is the best in Grenada, especially memorable as the night lights of the capital, St. George, first begin to twinkle. A choice of vegan and vegetarian dishes are always available and we accommodate special dietary requirements on request. Enjoy original sounds of the '50s on our fabulous, newly restored 1953 SEEBURG JUKEBOX
New York City, New York
“Magical Evening and Perfect Day at Savvy's Beach Cabana”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I had a wonderful dining experience with a large group at the restaurant's beach cabana. I wanted to do something special for my birthday and wanted to skip the traditional restaurant experience--especially since we were 20 people. After dining once at the main part of Savvy's restaurant, I learned about the Friday night bonfire nights and thought it sounded very fun. Each Friday the resort sets up a bonfire on beautiful Grand Anse beach near its beach cabana. For $40US/100EC, guests enjoy a 3 course menu including an appetizer, entree, and dessert in addition to enjoying live music, limbo festivities, delicious smores, and a perfect view of Grenada's starry open sky.

Before even arriving to dinner, I was extremely impressed with the customer service. I had been in touch with the resort director, Christine, who helped me plan the dinner with complete ease. When I asked Christine about options for my vegetarian friends, she immediately called me and put the chef on the phone to make sure I was pleased with what he would prepare for them. I was totally wowed! Both of them were even more hospitable and gracious in person, when they came over to every person at the table to make sure we were all enjoying ourselves.

The food was also very good and inventive. I have been to many of the restaurants in the area, but I really enjoyed the beach cabana's fusion between both local cuisine and modern trends. I enjoyed the lobster tail (an additional $10 US), but other options included a chicken kebab, crab cakes, ribs, and a burger. The vegetarians seemed quite pleased with their calaloo fritter to start and large portion of stir fried veggies with tofu as their entree. The dessert options were local ice cream or an incredibly delicious sweet potato pudding (locally known as poon). It had the perfect dash of nutmeg and was creamy perfection. All of my friends agreed that the night was truly magical, and we are eager to return.

I also visited the beach cabana during the day, when it is set up with lounges and umbrellas. Despite its small size, it is the closest thing to a "hip" beach club I have seen in Grenada. My friends and I did not order anything to eat that day, but the drinks were great. I had been struggling to find the perfect mojito on the island as mint was scarce for a while, but I did find a winner at the beach cabana! The service that day was also fantastic, and the staff could not have been more friendly or fun. They continuously came over to ask us if we needed anything.

I will definitely be back and recommend it to anyone looking for a chill evening out or a relaxing day on the beach. Kudos to Christine and her wonderful team.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

75% Recommend
Grenada
“Things have changed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We did read the reviews so approached our visit with a little trepidation but we had a really warm welcome and were impressed by the rum punches. Even better as we were given the menus we were greeted by the new Executive Chef, a really charming and enthusiastic young man called Andrew. The food was first class and he came out after every course to get our feedback. Everything was local produce and really fresh, the fish was cooked to perfection as was the lamb which had a coffee and chocolate sauce, rich and strong. Desserts to die for.

Keep an open mind and give them another try.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Pittsburg, California
“Great View But That Is all”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

QuittingIf You Must Go To This Restaurant, Bring Plenty Of Money, No Appetite And No Expectations And It Will Go Fine For You. In All Fairness, They Make An Amazing Chocolate Mousse But It Is All That Is Worth Writing About!

• Visited April 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Valley Forge, Pennsylvania
“Beautiful place, awful food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

First the restaurant and veranda with outdoor seating were very lovely. The drinks were watered down. It took an hour and a half to get our food. Some of us (3 out of 11) liked what they ordered the rest of us had problems with the seasonings. I love garlic (I'm Italian) but there was just too much on the grilled fish I ordered. When we paid our bills the waitstaff routinely short changed us and we had to ask for the correct change back.

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Scarborough
“Disappointing compared to previous years”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

We have been to Grenada 4 times now and always enjoyed our stay (but not at Mount Cinnamon). In previous years, we have often eaten at Savvy's restaurant and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. We have also had a drink at the beach bar some distance away but accessible via an easy path or directly from the beach.
Well this year we went into the Beach Bar which has been nicely redecorated to be shocked at the price being charged for a beer - at least twice the charge for a local bottled beer at many other establishments in the area. We discovered that, unlike most other places nearby, they charged everything in US $. We are from Canada and always try to pay in the local currency. At most other places nearby a beer would cost us from $5 to $7.50 East Cariibbean dollars - the Mont Cinnamon was charging a little over $13 per beer.
We had thought we would eat in their Savvy's restaurant but checked and their menu was exclusively in US dollars which made it very expensive. I found pricing food and drink in US dollars to be deceptive.
So we did without eating or drinking in either Savvy's or their beach bar - and went elsewhere!
Too bad because there is a beautiful view from Savvy's - but we decided aginst it on a matter of principle.

• Visited February 2013