“Wonderful beach” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Kalinago Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Kalinago Beach Resort to your Saves list
Kalinago Beach Resort
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   PO Box 58 | Morne Rouge Bay, St. George's, Grenada   |
Ranked #3 of 19 St. George's B&B and Inns
Hayle, United Kingdom
“Wonderful beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

My wife and I booked the Kalinago on a room only basis and after having a continental breakfast on our first morning, it looked like a really good decision. Breakfast consisted of a little bit of fruit, a bowl of cornflakes, some toast burnt on one side and uncooked on the other with a little bit of butter and jam and ONE cup of coffee. We booked for the beach barbecue on our first night, some time during the day, they decided to changed this to a hot buffet in the restaurant, but no one bothered to tell us. The buffet was surprisingly good a variety of Caribbean flavours and was very tasty. Our only other meal was a re-arranged beach barbecue, which was on our last night. I don't have a large appetite but I found the portions to be quite small.
Generally, the staff were excellent, being very friendly and they couldn't do enough to help, but unfortunately there was one exception. This person charged more than others at the bar and said that her prices were correct and the other people had charged the wrong price, about 7 or 8 minutes before the happy hour was due to end, I said that I would like more drink before the hour was up she said that by her clock the hour had ended. The bar clock was about 12 minutes fast and she never came back to serve me. What a pity that this one person can leave such a bad impression.

My room was fairly large, well furnished and extremely clean with a wonderful view over Morne Rouge beach, the room attendant was very pleasant and helpful. The sandy beach is fantastic with not many people on it, the hotel provided plenty of sunbeds but lack of shade was a problem on the beach in the middle of the day. I spent hours swimming up and down the beach in the warm Caribbean waters.

The hill has received many comments on these pages, it certainly pays to walk along the beach and take the long route up rather than walk up the steep drive. Every cloud has a silver lining and the hill helps to stop people from wandering from Grand Anse to what I consider to be the best beach on Grenada.

Outside of the hotel, you could hear dogs barking at any time of day or night, but fortunately the rooms are well sound proofed, so the noise was too much of a problem. Whilst, I experienced one of two problems, the quality of the room the friendly helpful nature of the staff (barring the exception) and the fantastic location means that I would stay here again.

Room Tip: For the best view, have a top floor room on the left hand side (when looking out to sea) of the hote...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

134 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

When I first arrived I thought, Oh their outside rooms, 3 floors and no elevators. The diva in me talking. Once I entered the room (on the 3rd floor) I was in love. A beautiful traditionally styled Caribbean room with a bit of British influence. I got a king size bed and it is very comfortable.

The staff, amazing and very helpful. The food is very tasty as well.

Beach isn't crowded at all. The swimming pool has a swim up bar. Nice!!!!

the negative? I really don't have one. Only item I can suggest which probably can't be done is to have more greenry by the parking lot area.

Would I come back here? yes!!!

Room Tip: Rooms above main floor is best. View of the island is spectacular!!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Ferrara, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

We went twice, they're better rooms at the floor. At ground floor, for us, were too many mosquitos. All is beautiful: beach, service on the beaches, bar and restaurant. But the hotel is far from a village, and so after dinner there's only the bar. If you like to visit the island, choose taxi services or a tour, the reception is glad to help you, and we used taxi and tour very good and non expensive: roads are terrible.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Surrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

I had a group of 18. We had booked into another hotel but when we arrived discovered they had not electricity. So we had to find another place late in the evening. The staff at the Kalinago were amazing. They welcomed us like we were family and gave us a fantastic rate. The rooms are amazing with a breathtaking view of a private Caribbean crystal clear bay. The place is situated in a small cove that is peaceful and quiet. The rooms are large with a huge bathroom. It has a pool right on the beach with a swim up bar.
I stayed for 3 days and ate our meals there which were fantastic. The service from every staff was amazing. They were all warm and friendly. Have not had service like this many times.
This is a hidden gem at a reasonable price.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

We stayed here for three nights on our return trip from the Carriacou Maroon and String Band Festival. the hotel itself is in a great location, on the beach in Morne Rouge Bay which is great for swimming. the prices were reasonable and the food good. the room was of a good standard. we had their king sized bed, it was that big that i had to send out the search party for my wife twice one night. the staff were attentive and pleasant. the only reason i did not give this hotel top marks was that when we went only 5 rooms out of the 29 were occupied so it would not be fair to grade the service on this but i am sure that the staff would get top marks on full occupancy. we went early in May and from what i can make out the period between Easter and the first week in May are usually low season so look out for bargains

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Madison
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

The Kalinago is on a quiet beach with a gentle surf. It is a perfect setting for the sunset. Our room was very comfortable and the staff helpful. We would definitely stay again.
The access to the hotel could be difficult, it is down a very steep drive. Otherwise a great location.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Oxted, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

We did not stay at this resort but ate in the restaurant and sat on the public beach in front of the hotel. Sign on beach Happy Hour 4-7 every day. To our dismay this did not include a rum punch! Complained about the mis information and we were given a 20% discount.

• Stayed April 2013

Been to Kalinago Beach Resort? Share your experiences!