“Peaceful retreat” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 25 hotels in St. George's
New York City, New York
“Peaceful retreat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Wonderful hotel and lovely service. location close drive to airport, Shopping center, grocery all walking distance, including banks nearby. Internet in lobby business center. Gardens throughout. comfortable rooms with in suite bathrooms. verandas. The breakfast was quite tasty with a welcome open air dining area. The exercise room needs updating and more equipment. Tennis courts on site with racquets. Beach ...oh my goodness. The best!!! crystal clear blue waters, beach chairs free, on the grande anse beach. It is now our favorite island. We will come back. Traveled in 2006. But just had to tell you about this WONDERFUL HOTEL. They have since made many upgrades and upped their star status. Enjoy!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

567 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

The prime spot on Grand Anse Beach is really the only reason to stay at Coyaba Beach Resort. The beach is white and sandy and the water is calm and great for wading. It's also easy to snorkel right in front of the resort. The beach in front of Coyaba is one of the best we have been to on all of our travels. The location is also convenient to a grocery store right across the street.

Beyond that, Coyaba Beach Resort doesn't offer anything exceptional. As others have mentioned, the accommodations are sorely in need of refurbishing. Mildewed caulking in the bathroom, cracked tile floors, small televisions and small, double-sized beds are disappointments. Though the resort advertises wifi in the rooms, we were unable to get a reliable signal, having to go to the lobby or pool area to get on the wifi. The food was passable, but unremarkable. There were many upcharges for nicer food and higher quality liquors, so be forewarned. We preferred the more casual restaurant to the "dress code" restaurant, particularly as the menus are the same. Staff were mostly friendly...some exceptionally so and some not at all. The gardens, as mentioned by others, are quite lovely, making the disrepair of the rooms that much more of a contrast.

Numerous "hawkers" wander the beach in front of the resort. I found them to be quite persistent, in spite of firm "no thank yous." After the first day of sitting right down toward the beach, we chose beach chairs further back in the gardens to avoid the harassment. Still only steps from the beach and more peaceful.

This resort is not targeted at young people who are interested in heavy drinking and partying. The bars close at 10:00/11:00 and the resort is quiet. For my husband and me, this was perfect. But for younger people in their 20s it is likely to be quite dull.

Overall, we had an enjoyable holiday, but again, this was almost entirely due to the beach location. Though we would be pleased to return to Grenada, we would not be likely to choose Coyaba again unless it was renovated.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reading, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Lovely beach, nice gardens but the rooms are worn out and tired.

Very strange behaviour at the front desk, almost fawlty towers like, in that despite providing tea bags and filter coffee in the rooms, you have to decide whether to have a kettle or a coffee maker, you are forbidden to have both! Strange as i drink tea and my wife drinks.........

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Just returned from a weeks break in Coyaba and have very fond memories and had a great time. On arrival at the hotel we expected a lovely rum punch and cold flannel but unfortunatley did not recieve this which was a shame. We were taken to our room by a wonderful bel hop called Roderick who was extremely friendly at ALL times, not just on the last day expecting a tip.
Our room was on the older side of the resort and was a bit tired, ie chips in the floor tiles, grouting needing replacing in the bathroom and contrary to a previous review the beds were quite small. We asked for extra pillows as one pillow is not really enough but they were suplied with no problem. Towels were lovely and fluffy and were replaced daily if you wished. Beach towels were replaced daily also but our service was a bit hit a miss and had to ask reception a few times for our towels.
The surroundings as previous reviews are amazing, the gardens are totally beautiful and are kept immaculately by the hard working gardeners. The beach is the best on the island and a lovely walk in the morning before it gets too hot. There are sellers on the beach but they do become a bit of a pest but they are trying to earn a living.
The food and drinks were quite nice, all brand drinks are subject to a supplement but all local drinks were adequate. We tried the daily cocktails which were yummy. The plastic cups at the pool bar were not what you would expect from a four star resort. There must be better alternatives available. The bar staff were friendly and service was typically caribbean but you on on holiday so whats the rush. We found the food to be very nice and glad we opted for AI as meals were quite expensive. We did travel with our daughter so the kids menu had a food choice for her also. Breakfast was good with the egg station and fresh fruit available but would like more choice for fruits.
On our stay there was only entertainment twice a week which could be improved as been to other islands with more on offer. It would create more of a atmosphere after dinner as most people are gone from the bar by 10 pm.
We met some really nice people on holiday and had a relaxing break. We would recommend this resort and would say that day by day it grows on you and by the end of our break we did not want to leave. However I would say this was a 3 star plus, not really a 4 star resort!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Barbados
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I was very disappointed with this hotel which appears to be in dire need of refurbishing... Especially the fitness equipment. The choice of food was very limited and the breakfast buffet was beyond a disappointment. My room was not swept for my entire stay, the toilet was not cleaned and i reported an electrical issue from the day i checked in and it was not addressed up to when I left... I was promised everyday that it would be fixed immediately though! The one good thing besides the potential this hotel has is the absolutely pristine beach on which it sits.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
South Staffordshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I have just returned from a seven night break at the Coyaba and can fully endorse Allan C's review. I was a refugee from the very recently closed La Source resort and was initially very disappointed to have missed out on the La Source experience. However, I need not have been. I booked La Source because of the daily spa treatments and activities, but I decided to use my refund on a series of treatments in order to "chill out". Jocelyn in the spa was wonderful. I attended a yoga session and enjoyed that - it was wonderful to be practising yoga to the sight and sound of the Caribbean. My yoga classes on a Monday night in Wolverhampton will never be the same! Although there were not many activities on offer, the guided walk around the gardens was interesting, informative and fragrant - really enjoyable! The gardeners there are so hard-working and take a pride in their work and this is reflected in the end product - a beautiful, peaceful garden. The beach itself is also immaculately clean, again it is constantly raked and kept in pristine condition.

As a solo traveller, I was worried that, because of the lack of activities, it may be a bit lonely, but not so, I soon filled my days and had to write myself a timetable! I can recommend the Spice Island tour, and if you're lucky you might get to feed the moneys in the rainforest. A walk along the beautiful beach is also worth doing as well as working off the varied food on offer, which is delicious and well presented. I was AI and can recommend this option. Thank you, Donald for the special Pinacoladas at the poolside bar! I found all the staff to be friendly and genuinely concerned that I was having a good holiday - I must have been asked at least six times per day. Thank you to Sheldon for checking that I was ok.

Should I return to Grenada, I would not hesitate to return to the Coyaba as it more than surpassed my expectations and more than made up for my initial disappointment. Incidentally, I was given a welcome drink on arrival which I "took" out onto my balcony to enjoy - but failed to see the closed fly screen (because I was so tired!!!)! Beware!

Room Tip: A room with a balcony is probably more private. My room, 229, was in a good position, as it overlook...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

Located on grand anse beach which is a lovely 'paradise' beach. Comfortable loungers available which you can drag to beach or you can lounge in the garden with a great view of the beach and sea but without the sand or hawkers.

Local dive centre great although on the pricey side. Dives to dragon and flamingo bay should not be missed.

Rooms are big but basic. Nice products, comfy beds and functioning air con but a dingy bathroom and the maid service poor. Pyjamas left strewn around the room and often insufficient new towels left. No mini bar which would be nice for an AI option.

Service is at best moody. You are made to feel as if everything is an effort. Food is ok but lacks variety with only one restaurant choice open for our stay. If going a la carte don't bother with the items attracting a supplement. They are poorly cooked and flavourless. Not worth the extra.

Pool is tiny but clean. Gardens are lovely. There are massage services but theses are offered in a converted guest room. Not really spa like. Ok but pricey.

The gym is in a shocking state. The stepper and cross trainers don't work, the running machines are rickety and the weights are locked away. Only option is the exercise bike. The tennis courts are good in the evening but they need to get new tennis balls and patch up the court surface.

There is an issue with sand flies. We were badly bitten. Take repellant.

Overall worth a visit for the beach. If the service standards were addressed and the food improved, would get a much better review. As it is, it isn't a place I'd avoid but neither would I highly recommend it.

• Stayed October 2012

Been to Coyaba Beach Resort? Share your experiences!