“Nice beach, tired rooms, Basil Fawlty at the front desk” 3 of 5 stars

Coyaba Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Grand Anse Beach | PO Box 336, St. George's, Grenada   |
Ranked #11 of 23 Hotels in St. George's
Reading, United Kingdom
“Nice beach, tired rooms, Basil Fawlty at the front desk”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Lovely beach, nice gardens but the rooms are worn out and tired.

Very strange behaviour at the front desk, almost fawlty towers like, in that despite providing tea bags and filter coffee in the rooms, you have to decide whether to have a kettle or a coffee maker, you are forbidden to have both! Strange as i drink tea and my wife drinks.........

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Just returned from a weeks break in Coyaba and have very fond memories and had a great time. On arrival at the hotel we expected a lovely rum punch and cold flannel but unfortunatley did not recieve this which was a shame. We were taken to our room by a wonderful bel hop called Roderick who was extremely friendly at ALL times, not just on the last day expecting a tip.
Our room was on the older side of the resort and was a bit tired, ie chips in the floor tiles, grouting needing replacing in the bathroom and contrary to a previous review the beds were quite small. We asked for extra pillows as one pillow is not really enough but they were suplied with no problem. Towels were lovely and fluffy and were replaced daily if you wished. Beach towels were replaced daily also but our service was a bit hit a miss and had to ask reception a few times for our towels.
The surroundings as previous reviews are amazing, the gardens are totally beautiful and are kept immaculately by the hard working gardeners. The beach is the best on the island and a lovely walk in the morning before it gets too hot. There are sellers on the beach but they do become a bit of a pest but they are trying to earn a living.
The food and drinks were quite nice, all brand drinks are subject to a supplement but all local drinks were adequate. We tried the daily cocktails which were yummy. The plastic cups at the pool bar were not what you would expect from a four star resort. There must be better alternatives available. The bar staff were friendly and service was typically caribbean but you on on holiday so whats the rush. We found the food to be very nice and glad we opted for AI as meals were quite expensive. We did travel with our daughter so the kids menu had a food choice for her also. Breakfast was good with the egg station and fresh fruit available but would like more choice for fruits.
On our stay there was only entertainment twice a week which could be improved as been to other islands with more on offer. It would create more of a atmosphere after dinner as most people are gone from the bar by 10 pm.
We met some really nice people on holiday and had a relaxing break. We would recommend this resort and would say that day by day it grows on you and by the end of our break we did not want to leave. However I would say this was a 3 star plus, not really a 4 star resort!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Barbados
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I was very disappointed with this hotel which appears to be in dire need of refurbishing... Especially the fitness equipment. The choice of food was very limited and the breakfast buffet was beyond a disappointment. My room was not swept for my entire stay, the toilet was not cleaned and i reported an electrical issue from the day i checked in and it was not addressed up to when I left... I was promised everyday that it would be fixed immediately though! The one good thing besides the potential this hotel has is the absolutely pristine beach on which it sits.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I have just returned from a seven night break at the Coyaba and can fully endorse Allan C's review. I was a refugee from the very recently closed La Source resort and was initially very disappointed to have missed out on the La Source experience. However, I need not have been. I booked La Source because of the daily spa treatments and activities, but I decided to use my refund on a series of treatments in order to "chill out". Jocelyn in the spa was wonderful. I attended a yoga session and enjoyed that - it was wonderful to be practising yoga to the sight and sound of the Caribbean. My yoga classes on a Monday night in Wolverhampton will never be the same! Although there were not many activities on offer, the guided walk around the gardens was interesting, informative and fragrant - really enjoyable! The gardeners there are so hard-working and take a pride in their work and this is reflected in the end product - a beautiful, peaceful garden. The beach itself is also immaculately clean, again it is constantly raked and kept in pristine condition.

As a solo traveller, I was worried that, because of the lack of activities, it may be a bit lonely, but not so, I soon filled my days and had to write myself a timetable! I can recommend the Spice Island tour, and if you're lucky you might get to feed the moneys in the rainforest. A walk along the beautiful beach is also worth doing as well as working off the varied food on offer, which is delicious and well presented. I was AI and can recommend this option. Thank you, Donald for the special Pinacoladas at the poolside bar! I found all the staff to be friendly and genuinely concerned that I was having a good holiday - I must have been asked at least six times per day. Thank you to Sheldon for checking that I was ok.

Should I return to Grenada, I would not hesitate to return to the Coyaba as it more than surpassed my expectations and more than made up for my initial disappointment. Incidentally, I was given a welcome drink on arrival which I "took" out onto my balcony to enjoy - but failed to see the closed fly screen (because I was so tired!!!)! Beware!

Room Tip: A room with a balcony is probably more private. My room, 229, was in a good position, as it overlook...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

Located on grand anse beach which is a lovely 'paradise' beach. Comfortable loungers available which you can drag to beach or you can lounge in the garden with a great view of the beach and sea but without the sand or hawkers.

Local dive centre great although on the pricey side. Dives to dragon and flamingo bay should not be missed.

Rooms are big but basic. Nice products, comfy beds and functioning air con but a dingy bathroom and the maid service poor. Pyjamas left strewn around the room and often insufficient new towels left. No mini bar which would be nice for an AI option.

Service is at best moody. You are made to feel as if everything is an effort. Food is ok but lacks variety with only one restaurant choice open for our stay. If going a la carte don't bother with the items attracting a supplement. They are poorly cooked and flavourless. Not worth the extra.

Pool is tiny but clean. Gardens are lovely. There are massage services but theses are offered in a converted guest room. Not really spa like. Ok but pricey.

The gym is in a shocking state. The stepper and cross trainers don't work, the running machines are rickety and the weights are locked away. Only option is the exercise bike. The tennis courts are good in the evening but they need to get new tennis balls and patch up the court surface.

There is an issue with sand flies. We were badly bitten. Take repellant.

Overall worth a visit for the beach. If the service standards were addressed and the food improved, would get a much better review. As it is, it isn't a place I'd avoid but neither would I highly recommend it.

• Stayed October 2012
Hertfordshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

We stayed at the Coyaba resort for two weeks in early September. It is a small (86 rooms I think) and peaceful resort in a great location.
The highlights for me are the beach and sea, absolutely stunning. The sea is crystal clear with sand only (i.e. no rocks or seaweed) for the first 20m or so but a little further out and you have some interesting snorkelling.
Room – We were lucky and had what I think was the best room in the resort (243), it is the upstairs room nearest to the beach, stunning views of the sunsets in the evening. I liked the bedroom area, it was light and airy, it would have been great if there were a couple of comfortable chairs to sit on and also a chest of drawers would have been useful. Nice chairs on the balcony though. Everything was nice a clean and the A/C & ceiling fan did their job. The only real problem was the shower, I think the thermostat was on its last legs as temperature control was a bit hit and miss. We didn’t say anything, as we didn’t want to be moved.
The gardens are beautiful, it has been well documented on here, but they really are a nice place to be. As the beach is public, all the sun loungers are within the gardens, which was a bit weird at first but you soon got used to it. You can take the loungers on to the beach if you want to.
Food – during the first couple of days of our stay I was a bit concerned that the menu was going to get a little “samey” by the second week, however on day three or four of our stay they started doing the buffet at lunchtime which was good. I’m not normally a fan of BBQ’s in the Caribbean, but these guys really did a good job (2 nights per week), the ribs were awesome, nothing was bad. The actual buffet area could do with a bit of a refresh as it was quite cramped and a bit dated, I imagine that it would get a bit busy when the resort was full. Breakfast was ok, fresh eggs cooked to your liking and usual buffet items. Fresh fruit was nice but not much choice and levels could get low if you were a late riser.
Food 2 - I must make a special mention of two things, firstly the stuffed tomato (starter) which was quite possibly the smallest stuffed tomato in the world. Which was a shame because it tasted fantastic. Secondly, the strange green/yellow goo stuff used to decorate the plates, what was that? Tasted very strange…
Pool – Didn’t use it much, mainly because the sea was so nice. It is quite small but the swim-up bar was good. A bar nearer to the beach would have been handy, although this might attract more non-residents. Perhaps waiter service is the answer.
Staff were all friendly and helpful and some of the bar staff were good fun, a downside for me was that they were constantly rotated, so each day you would have a different member of staff doing something different. This meant that you didn’t build up as much of a rapport with them.
Entertainment – A bit lacking for me, I’m definitely not looking for a cabaret or anything, but a musician or singer would have made a big difference after dinner. On Saturday evenings there was a steel band who were good, apart from that we had pretty dull music piped through the speakers. This meant that there wasn’t much of an atmosphere in the evenings.
The water sports on offer are provided by a separate business who have an agreement with the resort. You are entitled to an hour a day, but because it is not run by hotel staff, it did feel a bit overly structured. I asked to use the Hobie cat one day which they sorted, but asked me to book at least a day in advance in the future. This doesn’t really work when you need to know there is going to be some wind. I prefer places with a more relaxed “use it when you feel like it” attitude. I didn’t do any diving but the boat was going from right off the beach which is always handy.
Insect bites – A bit of a low for us, we both got bitten pretty badly at first even though we were using plenty of repellent. We even bought some local stuff to see if it was any more effective, but it didn’t make much difference. Housekeeping sprayed the rooms regularly which was great, even the turn-down team would spray on occasion. All other Caribbean resorts that I’ve stayed at previously have “fogged” the grounds a couple of times per week to keep the mosquitos away. Didn’t see them doing it at Coyaba so it might be an idea.
There is a small shopping centre with supermarket across the road from the main entrance, this was very handy for buying some bottles of water etc. for the room (there is a fridge). There are also ice machines dotted around the resort with ice buckets provided in the rooms. Fresh coffee machines in the rooms is also a nice touch.
You can walk to St George’s but it is hard going in the heat, worth doing once just to have a good look at the place, but the buses are great and very cheap. The buses are really people carriers which will give you a beep as they are approaching, if you want them to stop just hold out your hand. All journeys seem to be EC$2.50 (80p).
Checking out - As the resort was pretty quiet they let us keep our room until 3pm, that was really great and enabled us to make the most of the last day, very much appreciated!
I would definitely return to Coyaba, it is a very nice resort, nice staff and beautiful garden, beach and sea. Would recommend for couples who just want to relax, not much for kids to do.
Tip: If traveling independently don’t pay over the top up-front for transfers, you can get a taxi from the airport to Coyaba for about US$15.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

We have just had ten days in the Coyaba and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We are two teachers one retired one part time. I put this to put the review in context.
A ten minute taxi ride from the airport is far enough away to hear no aircraft noise at all. Check in was quick and efficient although a welcome drink after a long journey would have been well received.
Our ground floor room 126 was clean with a huge bed. As others have put the bathroom although clean and serviceable is in need of a revamp. Floor tiles are cracked and chipped and the tiling around the bath must have always have been of a poor quality and needs replacing. The washbasin area looks as though it has been upgraded and the daily cleaning is very good. Good quality towels are replaced daily. The beach towel exchange daily is a really nice touch.
The bed as well as being huge is comfortable and initially with only two pillows. The maid was only too willing to get us two extras. All on the small side but very comfy. The bed linen was changed daily. The aircon and ceiling fan kept the warm nicely cool when required.
The gardens are very well maintained, immaculately manicured and the head gardener is only too pleased to take guests own a well informed guided tour.
The position of the Coyaba is right on the beach. What a beach it is. Clean soft white sand is bordered by the Caribbean Ocean, calm warm and inviting. The odd tree offers perfect shade for those with a fair completion. There are no "private" beaches in Grenada so it is shared with the locals. Whilst we were there it was very quiet apart from a public holiday and at the weekend. Then it was a treat to share the beach with local population, rather than other Caribbean Island where it is mini UK. The beach vendors do pester you to buy their wares. Nearly all of them will take a polite no thanks. A ruse we used was to say we would buy shortly before leaving for home and then adding three days to our leaving date! Naughty but effective!
The beach is kept clean daily with workers picking up debris and raking leaves. The beach shelves quite quickly and about five metres from the water edge an adult is chest deep. The sand continues out for about twenty metres. Local ski boats operate from the beach offering a variety of tows. Round the island boats and diving boats leave from the foreshore directly outside the hotel.
If you prefer you can set up your sun lounger inside the Coyaba grounds either on sand or grass. Freshwater showers are available to take off the salt from the ocean.
The meals were excellent. Breakfast is from a buffet with freshly cooked eggs available along side cereals, yogurts, toast, cakes, croissants, bacon, beans, sausage, baked tomatoes etc. tea or coffee is brought to the table.
Lunch is three course. Each day there is a choice of three main meals, with different soups and salads with a choice of fresh fruits or pasties. You can opt to eat from the daily menu or mix and match with the restaurants othe menu. All well cooked and tasty. Water is topped up regularly throughout the meal. A waiter will bring soft or alcoholic from the bar.
Dinner in the main restaurant is an event and "elegant" dress code operates. Four courses this time with an appetiser, soup, main meal and sweet are all of the highest quality. The same menu operates in the second eating area were there is no dress code.
The all inclusive option is a good deal as the itemised prices are quite high. Drinks all day are included but you do need to trek from the beach to get it! All of 50 metres!
Don't expect any entertainment in the evening as onlynonnSaturday was there any, apart from the manages cocktail party.
The steel oil drum band were excellent, it's a pity they all looked so miserable throughout the two hours they performed!
Although we wanted a quiet holiday a couple of other evening could do with some form entertainment. I would imagine that there would be a number of local musician who would be delighted to play live music in the background.
Unlike other Caribbean Islands we have visited the Grenadaians the Eastern Caribbean Dollar is widely used. The USA dollar is also widely used.
Trips out are a feature and we were lucky to see sperm whales whist whale watching. The round the island tour features visits to a rum factory and a nutmeg centre both interesting although the waterfalls and Caribs Leapmare a bit tame. If you enjoy haggling a trip to the Saturday market is a pleasant change.
Free use of the hobby cats, canoes, and one visit to the spa is a nice touch..
We would recommend the Coyaba to anyone wanting a quieter holiday and would be pleased to return but prefer to visit new places every visit..

Room Tip: Only visited one, 126, and that was fine.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Coyaba Beach Resort? Share your experiences!