“Pleasant hotel on the beach” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Allamanda Beach Resort

You added Allamanda Beach Resort to your Saves list
Allamanda Beach Resort
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   Morne Rouge Grand Anse | P.O.Box 27, St. George's 00000, Grenada   |
Ranked #16 of 23 Hotels in St. George's
Rochester Hills, Michigan
“Pleasant hotel on the beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

This hotel was a lot more affordable than the really fancy ones, and it was quite satisfactory. The beach is out the back door. There is a nice swimming pool. The breakfast at the poolside restaurant was very nice (except that the coffee was instant rather than fresh-brewed).

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Vallejo, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I stayed at the Allamanda 3 days on either end of a trip on Windjammer Sailing Adventures, Mandalay. I booked through them and got a deal. The trade off was no breakfast but I'm a left coaster and not a morning person to begin with. The savings was better for me It was great to have such a nice place to get ready to go and then to decompress afterwards.

One thing I don't get is that everyone knows when the planes come and go there. I touched down at 10 pm but by the time Mandoo dropped me off at 11 I had to wake someone up to Check in. However once you made contact with ANY of the staff they were all friendly and would eventually get it done. But that's island life and when on vacation YOU really need to slow down anyway don't you think? The next couple days were "liquid Sunshine" but the restaurant and bar were open so I had no problems relaxing. Lilke others have reported the food was pretty good. Especially the Hummus appetizer and Lamb Schwarmi wrap. My only questionable meal was the Cheese burger. I asked if I had gotten a veggie pattie due to all the red and green bits but was told it was "minced meat". Don't get me wrong as it tasted very good but I'm a Carinivore and it was like no animal I have ever enjoyed. The room was clean and comfortable. My only complaint thre was that there are only 2 110V outlets available. One for the refrigerator and one in the bathroom, but only for a shaver. The problem is the bathroom one has so little current that it would not charge my PC, Iphone or camera. So my choice came down to technolgy or cold Caribs. tough decision! I was there over Christmas and you could not buy a converter anywhere. They did have a couple at the frontdesk if you asked .but now I carry my own. The location is great as it was in the center of Grande Anse beach as well as across from the Spiceland mall. There you can get just about anything you need.including GSM cards for both Lime and Digicell. At night you can always go next door to the Coyaba or Umbrellas is great if you can get in. Boulangerie across the grassy field is also very good. It changes from a pastry shop to an Italian restaurant at night with a HUGE selection of pasta dishes.

I guess the best review I can give is that I am already booked for this coming December and can't wait to get back again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Villa Grove, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

This hotel is perfectly located right on Grand Anse beach, rooms are clean and the manager, is so awesome! The pool is beautiful, the beach is just steps out back, ask for ocean view and you get a patio looking out into their beautiful grounds, and then right on to the ocean,
There restaurant has excellent food, good breakfast, good dinner!
GREAT PLACE, hats off to the manager, I;m sorry I can't remember his name!

Augusta Ga
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Not a lot to add that hasn't been said. If you want the Ritz, pay the price. If you want a good hotel located on the best spot of the best beach on Grenada for a good price then Allamanda is for you.
While not actually a resort this is one heck of a value. We're on a quest to vacation on every island in the Caribbean and have about 75% of them down. The view from under the almond tree on the beach towards St. George is one of the prettiest we've seen yet.
If you want the breakfast book directly with Allamanda as it's not included when you book with a package provider. The onsite restaurant, Ali Baba, is leased to a couple from Syria and very good. I think we got the hummus served with small pitas for lunch about 4 times.
There were always plenty of beach chairs and the vendors are pretty good about leaving you alone when you just say no thanks. No current to speak of and waves were small. Perfect spot. If you're a diver don't expect much snorkeling, just sand and grass That holds true for everywhere on the island you can reach yourself. It's fine if the underwater world is new to you. There's a little shack selling drinks just off the side of the property at the public park. Every room has a fridge so that's where we got our drinks from. Lot of people buying beer and soda from the shack though so price must be OK.
Diving on Grenada was a lot better than we thought it would be. Never read a lot about it being a dive hot spot so we weren't expecting much and boy were we pleasantly wrong. Great reefs and wrecks with a lot of life. We used Aquanauts because they have the most comfortable boats (strictly our opinion).
We had a car as I'm used to driving on the other side but if you don't want one there are plenty of good eats and stores steps away from the hotel. Taxis and the van "buses" are everywhere. Plan on waiting about 15 seconds before you're offered a ride. Even in the remotest areas of the island we went to there was something coming by at least every ten minutes and I'm talking way off the beaten path. If you do drive once out of town it's just like every island everywhere. There are no signs. We ask for directions a lot and people are always happy to tell you where to go.....whether they know what you're asking or not doesn't seem to matter, they're going to tell you how to go somewhere :-)
*******************Be warned, I've probably driven in more than 30 countries and Grenada proved to be arguably the "most interesting" yet. Don't decide that this will be the island that you finally give driving a right hand car on the left hand side of the road a try. We didn't have any trouble and only saw one fender bender but this isn't where you want to have a few beers with dinner and then drive home after dark. *************
The owners, Mr. and Mrs. Mogambi were a very nice couple and very accommodating. When asked if we'd stay there again we told them certainly, and we'd recommend Allamanda to anyone else. We loved it. During February there's a group of people that have been returning for so many years they have an informal club and are a treasure trove of island info. One couple has been coming every year for the last 21 years. Some of them stay as long as 3 months. TV in the 2nd room we had got about 8 more channels than the 1st. Beds in both were very comfortable and we were never bothered by any bar, band, or car thumping noise from any direction. We did some very good sleeping at Allamanda. (a treat for me)
We spoke with a US businessman that comes to Grenada frequently and has stayed in just about every hotel along Grand Anse. His impression was all the rooms were about the same. Same size, same furniture, same beach. The only difference was the size of the different resorts and the prices so why not stay at the one with the best central location and the cheapest price? Couldn't agree more.
Allamanda has a very nice pool which wasn't getting much use. Everyone prefered to be under the Almond or sea grape trees on the beach.
Front desk staff couldn't be nicer and will do anything they can to help. I'm doing a few of them a disservice by not mentioning their names but they were all great. I really liked Debbianne. Grounds were well kept and the maids were efficient and unobtrusive...and honest. They wouldn't touch the tip money until we handed it to them. My wife bought shoes for several of them as their flipflops had seen better days.
Don't be afraid to drink the water or buy food from the street vendors. If you eat all your meals out plan on doubling the price of your vacation. Do buy the yellow bananas, boy are they sweet. We bought groceries from the supermarket for breakfast and most lunches and ate out for dinner. Either street food or one of the tourist restaurants. Aquarium was recommended by absolutely everyone but we were not impressed. The one place noone told us to go to ended up being the best meal of the trip for both of us....Dodgy Dock. Neither place is walking distance. What you can walk to and get some great Italian is La Boulganese across the street. Do get the cheese pizza. Another good one close by that serves local cuisine is Le Chateau. How they decided on that name is a mystery to me but get the lambi (conch steak).
Bugs and skeets were close to nonexistent, time of year or steady trades-?
Ok, that's enough. We went to Grenada thinking it would be just this once but after 11 days on the island we both decided it was most definitely one of our return to islands. And we will go right back and stay at the Allamanda.

Room Tip: Best views and an extra bed- 1st choice-319, 2nd-218. Otherwise for an oceanview 316-318 (unless you...
Long Beach, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Fantastic location on Grand Anse Beach. The hotel is older, and does not have all the modern conveniences (like elevators), but clean I stayed 2 nights each on either end of a Windjammer Cruise on Mandalay, and had a beach front room. The pool is lovely, the restaurant great, but service was spotty. When we checked in the first night after a marathon flight from Miami, there was no one at the front desk. The next day, service was friendly, and Rocky, the general yard man, greeter, and beach facotum, is delightful! Check out was fine. On the way back, check in was all right, although the couple in front of me had a problem with their room assignment. It was difficult to get a lock for the room safe (I had to leave my valuables in the hotel safe while I took a walk on the beach). The rating would have been better if they had followed through with my request to have someone bring my luggage down from my second floor room in time for my 6:30 am shuttle. I had made my request the day before, and had been told that someone would be at my room at 6:15. When 6:20 came and went, I tried to call the front desk--no reponse, so had to haul my suitcases downstairs myself. No one at checkout, so we just left our keys at the front desk. I hope I don't get any unpleasant surprises on my credit card bill next month!

Room Tip: Second floor noisy--third mught be better
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Gulfport, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We stayed 2 nights each at front and back end of a Windjammer cruise. The hotel is basic, no frills and clean. Staff were kind and helpful. Just 6 minutes to walk to full grocery store (beer, wine and liquor), same to Carib Sushi- great fresh sushi, Umbrellas- great beach bar with terrific food, and bakery- La Boujanerie(sp?) for breakfast which also does pizza for lunch and dinner. Hotel is right in the center of Grand Anse Beach- wide white sand beach, clear turquoise water. Hotel has a nice large pool and tidy basic landscaping. The restaurant on the property, Ali Baba, apparently is not connected to the hotel, is an oddity. The 2 meals ( strong middle eastern focus) we had were well prepared and tasty, but service was well beyond "island time". For a tasty and fast breakfast head to the bakery (La Boujanierie) directly across the grassy field from the hotel entrance. Allamanda is a basic hotel, so don't expect the amenities and services of a full medium-priced resort. Take the local bus at the round-about into St. Georges for 2.50EC- a panel van that stops at marked bus stops and anywhere in between- a private taxi will run about 35EC and you'll miss the real Grenada. We recommend the Allamanda for a 1-2 night stay, but probably would do a smaller guest house off the beach for a longer stay. But if you're a real die hard beach sun bather this might work for you!

Room Tip: Definitely select ocean view and 2nd or 3rd floor!
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

if the restaurant you have just visited is the same as the immediately previous review. No mosquitos, great simple grilled king fish (no fancy sauces) well presented by efficient and friendly staff. The Hommus, as a started tasted just like the Lebanese Hommus. The restaurant also had a wide range of drinks although we did not look at the wine list.
And to finish the Arabic coffee was the real stuff.
Expensive - no not for an up-market restaurant in high season.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Allamanda Beach Resort? Share your experiences!