“Initial impression not good. Improved due to outstanding food offer” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sandals LaSource Grenada Resort and Spa

Save Saved
You added Sandals LaSource Grenada Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Sandals LaSource Grenada Resort and Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Pink Gin Beach, St. George's, Grenada   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #4 of 23 hotels in St. George's
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Initial impression not good. Improved due to outstanding food offer”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

We visited Sandals for ten days on honeymoon in August. We had spent a long time researching honeymoon locations and had booked this new sandals resort as it looked and sounded superb. We booked through Thomas Cook and Funways - when booking we spent a lot of time considering the options eventually deciding on a Pink Gin ocean view room with veranda tranquility soaking tub. The travel agent also said they would tell Sandals it was our honeymoon and they would make it special.
We arrived at the airport and after a long wait to clear passport control and customs we were met by a sandals employee and directed to a minibus which took just five minutes to transport us to the resort. We were greeted with a glass of bubbly and a refreshing hot towel. We were asked to take a seat and complete our details on a form. An employee then showed us to our room. When we went in there was a tiny balcony with two seats and a table. I asked where the tub was and the lady said we had been upgraded. This "upgrade" was the most basic room I had seen on their site. She showed us the room we had apparently booked and it had a view of the roof of some of the rooms and was not at all as described when booking. We said we would stick with the "upgrade" which looked over the beach. I was really upset and felt like we had spent a lot of money on a basic room. The lady showing us around also did not tell us anything about the resort and how things worked. We returned to reception to complain about the room and were shown a chart which showed the room we got was an upgrade. There was nothing else that could be done to change our rooms without paying more money.
We went back to the room changed and decided to try one of the restaurants- we went to le jardinier the French place. We received a pleasant greeting and the lady asked if we were going on the boat trip that evening. We asked what boat trip and there was a boat trip due to the carnival in St George's. We did not feel like booking that evening due to being tired from travelling and decided to eat and have an early night. The restaurant was outstanding, service and food.
We asked at reception when there was a resort orientation and were told 9am and 5pm every day. The next morning we waited in the living room at 9am and at 945am after asking three times at reception someone finally came to give us a tour which was very helpful and we were informed there was also a boat trip that afternoon to take in the carnival. After the tour we went to the desk in the living room to make reservations for two of the reservation only restaurants and tried to book for the boat trip which was full. This was very disappointing considering this was a big thing and we weren't told on arrival.
After the initial disappointments things did improve, mainly due to my husband paying to upgrade to an Italian village swim up suite. I will summarise the remainder of the trip in positives and areas for improvement:
Positives:
The food. This was certainly the best part of the holiday. We loved butch's, kimonos, le jardinier, soy, cafe de Paris and spices did a nice buffet breakfast and lunch. Also I am vegetarian and every restaurant was more than accommodating. Especially the chef at butch's who came out to speak to me personally. A special mention to the manager of Butch's Latoya who is fantastic - always full of life and energy.
The spa - although pricey I had three treatments and thoroughly enjoyed it. A special mention to Claudian who was the first person I met at the resort who I actually felt was interested in speaking to me.
The swim up Italian rooms - we spent a lot of time in our pool. This cost us a lot of money and totally blew our holiday budget but it was thanks to this we had a good trip.
The pools and beach - plenty of sunloungers.

Areas for improvement:
Communication - initial communication is extremely poor for first time visitors. I think they thought we could read their minds. Also the Italian restaurant was shut for renovations from the second day of our trip. Nobody told us and we did not get the chance to visit. We would have gone on the first night.
Soon come back - this is a con. They advertise up to 65% off for returning customers. The price we were quoted was $2000 more than through a travel agent!

Overall our experience was ruined by poor communication on arrival. We did enjoy our trip due to spending a lot of money to upgrade and thanks to the superb food offer.

Room Tip: Italian village is the best place to stay. It is worth paying extra for a swim up pool.

495 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

We booked Sandals Grenada based on the reputation of Sandals as a great Honeymoon resort, and as Grenada one of the newer resorts we wanted to stay in a new resort.

Positives:
It is a fantastic resort with lovely rooms, fantastic restaurants, attentive staff on a beautiful island. There were two things which stuck out as exceptional : The staff in the resort were absolutely top drawer, they were always friendly and didn't hesitate at taking care of your every need. My wife wanted to try "Oil Down" so asked Spices if we could get some, without a moment hesitation we were told that the chef would make for us if we returned at 1pm the next day and they were good to their word. Secondly the food is of the highest quality and we would single out Soy (the freshest ingredients) and Butch's (great steak and atmosphere) as places we visited several time during our stay. Neptune's is also great for lunch, their fatoush salad is the perfect lunch in the sunshine.
The room was very nice, we stayed in one of the junior honeymoon suites which had direct access to a secluded pool - when we weren't by the swim up bar it was lovely to chill here and we were often the only people in the pool. The rooms were cleaned to a very high standard every day, and the soft drink fridge was always replenished so we never ran out of water.
The atmosphere in the resort was very nice, it felt very safe and everyone - staff and guests - very chilled out with the focus on relaxing and having a great time. The entertainment was ok, one night was a magician who turned out to be one of the funniest things I've seen in years - he was so bad it was absolutely hysterical.

Negatives:
During our honeymoon (we left on July 31st) the resort was taken over by photographers and models. I was disappointed in the manager Peter Fraser as he was visible before the photographers arrived and then we didn't see him until they were gone - I also wrote him a letter, to which I NEVER got a response. Sandals made a huge error here by forgetting about the most important thing in the resort - the current guests - as we were made to feel like second class citizens as pools/restaurants/entertainment areas were closed to us often with no communication. Sunbeds and clean towels were removed from the pool areas to make it look uncluttered for the models, I couldn't use the gym one day as the weights were used by the photographers to hold down their equipment. It may just be a normal week for Sandals management, but to us it was our ONE honeymoon and we were made to feel like imposters at times - a HUGE error by management here to focus on potential future guests rather than current paying guests.

In summary it is a great resort with great staff - not great management - and whilst not very much got in the way of our honeymoon, we shouldn't have had to waste energy and effort complaining when we were barred from certain parts of the resort. To be fair we were given some free extras (WiFi - which should be free in my view anyway / Spa treatments) however despite the highs of the honeymoon we were considering a return trip to Sandals over Christmas/New Year but we are now having doubts as we are not sure which Sandals values the most - extra revenue or the comfort of current guests.

Special final mention goes to the pool bar staff, Kristel and AJ, who were fantastic throughout the holiday. They gave it the personal touch by getting to know guests - a nice touch was to swim up and already have our drinks on the bar.

We were on a honeymoon, we had a great time, but our view of Sandals priorities as a company are now unclear. Without the inconvenience of the photographers I would have given 5 stars, to deduct 2 stars shows how we felt when we were told to move.

Fishers, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We visited Sandals Grenada on our honeymoon during the first and second week of August 2014. First of all, we had an amazing time and have great memories from our trip! so here are the positives of the resort...

Positives
- Best food of any Sandals resort I have visited (quality dining that you would pay for at home)
- Friendly staff and locals similar to what I have always found at other Sandals resorts
- Main pool, hot tub, and swim up bar where we spent the majority of our time was top notch
- Very short drive from airport to resort (less than 5 minutes it seemed)
- Great swimming area in ocean protected from waves
- Amazing pool side room LOCATION (we could hear pool waterfall outside room when we opened our door in the morning.)
- Extremely nice room, very comfortable (although we didn't stay long in the room)
- Soaking tub on porch of room with curtain was awesome

Less than positive
- Very expensive relative to other great sandals resorts like St Lucia
- perhaps longest flight from US of any sandals resort
- in order to arrive in Grenada from US we had to fly to Toronto first to get in by midday and not waste a day traveling. Other flights from US to Grenada only arrived late evening which would be waste of money and waste of a day
- Resort is combination of new sandals resort and preexisting resort that Sandals bought. This didn't bother us but it did somewhat deter from the perception of Grenada being THE BEST Sandals resort. The old resort building has much smaller rooms we learned.
- The initial arrival and "drive in" to the entry of the resort was less than expected in terms of "wow" factor. Perhaps our expectations were so high from the unbelievable pictures online. However, once in we were settled in we were extremely happy.

Overall, this resort is new with all the "signs" that Sandals listens to their customers for what they want. Great couples hanging swings, great pool, great swim up bar, UNBELIEVABLE food, great rooms! for a relaxing all inclusive resort this is an outstanding option. For our next trip we will probably take a trip to Hawaii instead of going back considering how long the grenada flight is, and how expensive it is relatively speaking. Finally, the resorts seem to take on their own individual "brand". Grenada's brand seems to be great food and relaxation!

Banff National Park, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My wife and I stayed here in the first week of July, 2014. One of the first persons we happened to bump in to, by chance, was the current Manager Peter Fraser. Being the curious sort, and knowing that Peter Fraser had previously been the manager at Sandals Royal Plantation in Ocho Rios, I kind of asked about this. My question was whether or not, in fact, The Plantation and Granada were the aspirants to being the "Jewels of Sandals in the Caribbean. While I will not put words in Mr. Fraser's mouth, suffice to say he did not disagree.

And this is where "excellence" comes in. At Sandals La Source Granada (and the Royal Plantation too), it's the "little extra's" that always seem to be there: from the food, to the ambiance, to the service, to just a general sense of accommodating to you as guest. A little tidbit? Some people will let you go on embarrassing yourself without pulling you aside and letting you knw what you're doing. (Since all of us have been there, I need mention nothing more.) Well, I was mis-pronouncing "Grenada". Peter, in this first meeting, nicely helped me out. The first "a" in Grenada sounds its own name; the last "a" is soft. Pronounce "Grenada" to a Travel Agent with a first "a" as soft, and you can end up in that place in Spain, which goes by the same name. Some have done this ...

Here's another anecdote, also picking unfairly on Peter Fraser. Sometime, the Sandals Select dinners work very well, sometimes they do not. It's often not due to the food or service, but the location or setting. In this instance, the Le Jardinier, with an open balcony and full dining room, should have been an ideal evening. But this time the noise level was a bit high for my wife and I. (My hearing in crowds is not great and my ability to make myself heard over other people is even worse.) So we took off, following the time-honoured "Sandals Rule" of: "If you do not like this, then try some of that. Just be sure to try it!". Well, Peter Fraser noticed, and caught up to us the next day. While we just alluded to the "Sandal's Rule" and No Big Deal, Peter set up a five-course meal for us, especially prepared by Le Jardinier's chef, for our last evening in Grenada. We hadn't asked for this, didn't expect it, and sure weren't staying in a Butler or expensive suite. I guess this is a way of defining "Excellence", and "Just the way things are done".

Now some comments about scuba diving. For some really good information and some fine photos, take a look at a previous reviewer (dunbankin.com/grenada2014). For those of you who do Internet searches about a locale before visiting/diving there, what you will immediately see about diving in Grenada is that the standards are pretty high, and very expert if that's what you want. Not only Nitrox, but mixed gases, re-breathers, decompressions dives: in short, tech diving. This is not what Sandals does, but this in no way means that Sandals is out-done. Want Nitrox? Available, $10.00 a tank, billable to your room. Bianca C? Sure, and diving in the swimming pool is a treat. Marine Protected Area, north of St. George's? Frequent, $2.00 a dive, charged to your room, and a yellow wrist band.

Here's a complete list. The dive boat is the Astonia, 45-foot catamarin, and two-250 HP Yamaha outboards. Devon Boote is Head of Water Sports; dive Captains are Tommy and Shawn; Elijah is Supervisor and dive staff are Shavon (a recent import from Ocho Rios), Salin, Troison, Gary and Chris. Most of my diving was with Chris and Gary, but my accoladates go out to the entire group.

As a group, "excellence" is again what stands out for me. Some treats: photographing white sea horse, in several different locations; purple Creole wrasse in schools (Purple Rain); Banded Jawfish in its rock-boundaried little "home" in the sand; and squid, again in schools. This is when you know the skill of your Dive Master/Instructor: take the photograph, often close in without: (1) disturbing or creating distress for the creature you're visiting in its "home"; and (2) without being kicked in the head by someone's careless flipper - those folks have been allowed their own dive, led by an Instructor who ensure that their needs, too, have been met. Nice balance, huh? Tribute to the dive organization.

If you get the chance, do the Underwater Sculpture Park. It's at 4:00 P.M., requires six divers, and the cost is $80.00 The late afternoon allows for excellent lighting. And because you have a guide, you won't miss any of the sculptures that are somewhat out of the way. The final treat is a glass of white wine or champagne, accompanying a shore-line cruise through the harbour. It's the late afternoon that makes it work!

My final comment about "excellence" is plagiarized. It comes from a recent Trip Advisor submission to Sandals Royal Plantation, wherein the author noted that: "You can not photograph service". I thought it kind of summed things up quite nicely!

Vincennes, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The resort is absolutely beautiful and the weather is amazing! Cant express how friendly and genuine everyone is at the resort and in the city! Our room was perfect, South Seas overlooking the waterfall pool. I could lay by the pool and walk to my room to use the restroom- which I recommend because they only poor bathroom is the one by the swim up bar.

We however being first time guests at the sandals resorts where kind of lost and not filled in on how things work. The only time they took great care to make sure I was informed is when we asked where to make dinner reservations. I had told them ahead of time of my many extreme food allergies. When we found the desk, I was amazed at how serious and thorough they were in planning my meals ahead around my extensive allergies. I usually am made to feel ashamed whenever I go out to eat and the chef has to come to the table. This is the only time in my entire life, I felt like they genuinely cared about making my meal enjoyable and safe. For this I will forever be a Sandals fan. I was so afraid to travel and have a hard time finding something to eat.

left in the dark- We did not know that we could add concierge service onto our room. If I had been offered upon checking in I would have paid the extra. The other reviews are true about not being able to do certain things without a butler. Im not keen on having someone wait on me, its just not the kind of person I am. I enjoy being able to do things for myself. Besides walking or swimming for a beverage burns a few calories lol. No one ever told us were to be or how to check in for our advanced booking tours. The entire 7 days we were there, I never had the pleasure of having a cabana. My husband (farmer) wakes with the sunrise and would go down to reserve a chair with an umbrella and everyday in the wee hours of the morning, the cabanas were already reserved. The umbrella lounges are hard to get too, but being up early we always managed to get one of those. The earlier you get up, the more peaceful and beautiful it is. Everyone seems to sleep in. Our room being right by the swim up bar pool was not loud at all. It was fun sitting on the balcony watching everyone party and wear down from the sun and spirits lol! Breakfast at the italian place was the best and so was dinner. We stumbled upon the pastry place and went every night! Probably a good thing we didnt know it was there for a few days. I can tell you that you will eat very well and if you dont exercise you will come home with extra baggage! If you have to visit the nurse, she is an angel! I will explain that later.

pros:
Friendly people everywhere! Food, accommodations, spa- oh my gosh I ended up getting 2 -90 min massages. Koi pond, view, pools,swings everywhere! Immaculate, not a weed or speck of dirt in sight! Dino's pizza- I ate it everyday but one! Balconies, flags,outdoor tubs, giant hot tub! All the towels at the pool are giant! work out center is top notch, new friends!wildlife-from afar lol
Security. Even out on our own we felt safe in town. warm waters and amazing breezes. I also loved the dress code- dressy at night! Butches steakhouse- only got to eat there once but it was amazing. All the food was way beyond my expectations. Your wine glass will never be empty- that can sneak up on you lol. Im highly allergic to flowers but didn't have any allergies to the ones on the resort????It was awesome to smell the beautiful fragrant flowers everyday. They smelled so sweet. It was a dream come true to stick my face in a flower!

bummers:

first timers: get a butler or you may miss out? Only because you dont know whats available?

drinks- only one choice of beer unless you went to the pub for one dark beer ? Beer is cheap??

watesports- no jet skies- bummer! Probably because of liability I understand that. No menu of what to do? I would have loved to take a sunset cruise or tool around the island on the water?need a brochure online please. we got reprimanded for going to far to the left on the paddle board. For good reason! There is a current that will take you out to sea. We had to climb into the boat from the board and were dropped off to the right. The water is clear and there are many rocks. To my shock we were dropped off above the most stingrays I have ever seen. We do the stingray shuffle at our beach house in florida so I am able to tell what they look like. I was told that the manta ray was probably a rock ( I saw him later that evening out on the boardwalk and he swam right over the ropes lol) I also saw a spotted eagle ray which I described and was then taken serious lol! They lovely men in charge went to investigate. I don't think they believed me lol. The red flags were up soon after.

beware of the hairdryer!. It actually works very well, but when i went to unplug it one morning the plug casing popped off and my thumb hit the fuse. I got quite a shock. I heard Im not the only one that has experienced this. They insisted I see the nurse. I had a small blister that went away. Later that day I went on the powerboat tour to see the underwater sculptures. It was the scariest day of my life! I was repeatedly stung by jellyfish (as well as the rest of the people in our group and my husband) as soon as I saw the first sculpture. Being the lucky person I am,allergic to shellfish and iodine I immediately started to swell. The young man on the boat poured vinegar on the stings and it took the pain away right away. My body and face however continued to swelll. I was taken back to the dock and the lovley french man at the dock took me back to the hotel in his personal car because the taxi had still not arrived. When I got back to the resort, the nurse was not where they took me. I told them I knew where her office was because I had already been there that morning from the shock. Needless to say, walking all over in my condition was less than pleasurable since I started to panic. The lovely nurse/angel suggested I go to the ER but I refused. She placed me on bed-rest. Now without a butler and no room service I couldn't go to eat. I called the manager and I was told I could have room service for 24hrs and they would call- guess what, they never called lol. It worked out for the best because getting up and getting food to go actually did me some good instead of laying around like a puffer fish lol. Still after being shocked and stung by a jellyfish, a little care would have been nice. The nurse checked on me for the next few days. She called,stopped by ect. I had alot of paperwork to fill out while on bedrest- that kinda sucked but I understand the importance of accident reports.

nightlife- I never knew what was going on! Again I stumble upon cool stuff. After our dinner on the beach we were walking back and saw the chocolate affair! It was awesome even though Im allergic, it was neat to see. I guess the entertainment happened every night at our reservation time?? The family room was hopping the first night we arrive and was large enough for dancing and socializing with the best of ocean breezes. After that, the dancing/dj occurred in the new pub that had just opened. It was way to small and hot to dance in. We enjoyed sitting at the pool bar at night were it was quiet and we could talk to our many friends we had met from all over. It closes at 10!!! Sometimes we would beg and they let us hang out while they were cleaning up, all the bartenders are sooooo cool and fun!I just wanted to sit and enjoy a drink. Im a night owl and it was sad that my evening always ended so soon as my husband just does not like loud music and tons of people crammed in a small space.

millipedes- yuck hope I never see one again the rest of my life unless Im in paradise at Sandals Grenada :)

I know my list of cons seems long but I have to say despite all the aweful things that happened I would defiantly come back to sandals. I wish some things had been handled better but its hard to be mad in paradise! We didn't get a soon come back like everyone else :( If I had been asked to make arrangements to join club sandals, I would have booked another trip right then and there.

The resort is by far the best of all their offerings according to seasoned sandals guests.They filled us in on everything that I feel we should have already known upon arrival. Oh well, its good to be adventurous. We had a great time and have lots of stories to share. I learned many things to look for next time.

Room Tip: Loved the location and size of our rooms:balcony with tub right by the waterfall swim up. we chose s...
Franklin, Tennessee, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We loved this resort! We came on our honeymoon because we wanted to go someplace different than where our friends had been. We also liked the appeal of the resort being new. Our room was wonderful. Very clean and comfortable. We had a beachfront walkout and we were pleasantly surprised to find a soaking tub on our porch. We were not aware upon booking that we would have that. We did share our porch with the neighboring room though and there was a very thin divider so I didn't really want to be in my tub while the neighbors were outside. My only complaint about the room location was that it seemed to be next to the housekeeping closet. Numerous times when we would come and go from our room there would be several housekeepers sitting outside our door on the ledge talking and not working. They were friendly to us but it still didn't look very professional and it's a little uncomfortable to open your door to a group of people looking at you.

We had concierge level and everyone in Club Sandals was always so friendly and helpful, especially William and Claire. They helped us with any questions we had! We were supposed to have free wifi with concierge level. It worked for my husband but never for me and when it did work for him, it was so slow it hardly did anything. If I were to do it over I would probably just choose the standard level room. We thought we would use the room service more but be only did a few times. Other than the great concierge staff, I'm not sure it was worth the extra money to book this level room. If I were to do it over I would probably just choose the standard level room or splurge for the butler suite.

We made some friends while we were there and went on 2 excursions with them and had a great time! The tour guide we had on our private island tour, Michael, was fantastic. We loved all the restaurants we ate dinner at (Butch's, Soy, Kimonos, and Neptunes). I was a little disappointed that the 2 places we had breakfast at were just a buffet. We ended up getting room service most mornings because of this. We also loved the pizza place next to the pool for lunch. We did a candlelight dinner on the beach one night as well. We really enjoyed our waitress and enjoyed talking to her. The dinner was fun to do but I would not to it again. I did not think it was worth $170.

We went to the spa one day and had a couples massage that was included when we booked. I am not a huge spa person but this was a nice experience and very relaxing. They did try to sell us more massages and products afterward which I find to be obnoxious anywhere I go.

There was a photo shoot going on while we were there which didn't bother us too much. They closed different parts of the resort to shoot a few days while we were there. Rather than be frustrated by it we tried to make the most of it and even participated in a couple shoots. It was disheartening though to hear other guests bragging about getting free vacation nights and upgrades just by complaining to the management about the photo shoots. We heard multiple people say that they had done this and that was very frustrating for those of us who did not complain.

Overall, I would recommend this resort to anyone! It's a beautiful resort with friendly staff and great food. The island is beautiful. I would love to go back sometime!

Room Tip: Beach front walkout in the pink gin area was very close to everything. We also had a beautiful view...
Danbury, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My wife and I got back from our honeymoon a little over a week ago. The resort was absolutely amazing. We loved every aspect of it. It started off with a quick five minute ride from the airport, and after a long day of travel, it was perfect to have such a short trip. I see some others complained about the airport noise, but there were like 5 flights a day, so you heard them for maybe 2 minutes total a day, which is nothing. It didn't bother us. We were greeted upon our arrival by our wonderful butler Leanna, and she and Michael were absolutely perfect all week. They provided us with delicious snacks and drinks and went out of their way to make everything perfect. We tried every restaurant on the resort and each one was delicious, although Butch's was our favorite. Kimono's, Soy and La Jardinier were the next best. Spice's had a delicious breakfast buffet. You can't go wrong with any place though. We also did the Sunset Cruise and Sip and Sail and would recommend both of them. The underwater sculpture area for the Sip and Sail snorkeling was beautiful. We wanted to do the glass boat tour and snorkeling off of the resort but didn't have a chance to do so. We also had a special candlelight dinner on the beach one night, and it was absolutely delicious. Our waiter Kevin was so nice and accommodating-he was very attentive but also gave us the right amount of privacy.

We had such a great time and plan on coming back to renew our vows in five years...if not sooner.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Sandals LaSource Grenada Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!