“A wonderful week” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Calabash Hotel

You added Calabash Hotel to your Saves list
Calabash Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Box 382 | L'Ance Aux Epines Beach, St. George's, Grenada   |
Special Price
20% off room rate
Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in St. George's
Grapevine, Texas
“A wonderful week”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

We just returned from a wonderful week at the Calabash Hotel.
The hotel and grounds are lovely, with flowers of amazing colors everywhere you look. The rooms are very comfortable and spacious. The food and drinks at both restaurants are excellent. Best of all - the people are extremely friendly and helpful; I won't try to include names because I'm sure I'd leave someone out, but we felt like we made numerous friends while we were there.
The main downside to our stay was the mosquitoes, which may have been unusually active due to the recent rains. Also, despite being on an all-inclusive basis, anything taken from the mini-bar would have been an additional charge, which seems odd - if we wanted a drink, we just walked the short distance to the beach bar.
Overall, we had a very enjoyable week at the Calabash Hotel and will definitely consider returning there on future trips to Grenada.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Cape Town Central, South Africa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

The Calabash is a hotel that lives off its reputation from days gone by. It is a tired establishment which has been poorly maintained with service quality that should embarrass the managers.
In essence our complaints were:

1 Misleading induction
2 Room safe didn’t work properly and had at least 2 keys that opened the door, only
one of which was in my possession
3 Dirty, sticky furniture at the beach bar
4 Surly unhelpful sloth-like waitresses at the beach bar
5 Dirty and broken furniture in our suite
6 Bottled water provided with broken seals (tasted like tap water)
7 Wifi poor if it worked
8 Breakfast only served in room which took two hours to prepare and clean up.
No privacy
9 The kitchen in which our breakfast was prepared was dirty
10 Lack of privacy
11 The worst breakfast I have experienced in a hotel anywhere
12 No functioning toilet at the beach bar
13 Petrol engine garden machines operating at 05:45 keeping everyone awake

If you would like details please read my precise below

My wife and I travelled to Grenada for the whale watching and because we had heard it is a charming island. The Calabash was chosen as it is considered one of the best if not the best hotels on the island.

On arrival no one was available to show us to the room, so a waitress did the honours. She pointed out the cupboard with the safe and said we had to set the combination ourselves. When I went to use the safe it was not a combination, but a key safe. The key which I eventually found did not work. I then spent an hour waiting for the handyman to to and fro with different keys. The final conclusion was two or three keys fitted the safe but it would not always open which rendered it useless. This wasted the first hour of our time at the Calabash. Time I would rather have spent on the beach.

Our room 'key' was a bunch of six keys! This was cumbersome and annoying when trying to find the right key for its corresponding lock.

We then went to the beach for a cocktail. Service at the beach bar was lazy and disinterested. I tried to access the Wifi and was told I should call reception. I then had to ask for the phone. Reception gave me a code that didn't work. When we tried to order a snack (at 18:10) we were told food service stopped at 18:00. Why!!!??? When I tried to pay the bill at the beach bar I was told to go to reception as we weren't registered on the system yet.

Back in the room we asked waitress who brought us dinner (we had to order room service as the restaurant at the beach wouldn't serve us) for some bottled water. She said you can drink the tap water! I had to insist on bottled water.

Breakfast had to be taken in our room. Why? We have to state the exact time we wanted breakfast and exactly what we wanted to eat the night before. I had to walk to reception with a form I spent more time filling out. This is supposed to be a relaxing holiday. Why is the service set up to make life of the hotel staff easier rather than creating a relaxed atmosphere for guests? We have stayed in many hotels where breakfast is served in the room as an option. But in these cases the food was cooked in the main kitchen and delivered fresh and hot to the room and requested in the morning. The staff would be in our room / villa for a maximum of five minutes and our food was prepared by a chef not a maid. I'm told the maids at the Calabash have hygiene certificates? The kitchen in our suite was filthy dirty. See photos.

Having to book breakfast for a set time means no lay ins while on holiday. We had to set the alarm and be disturbed no later than 08:50. The maid arrived at least 40 minutes before breakfast was served.
The first morning the maid was in our suite for two hours while preparing and cleaning up after breakfast. We like privacy while on holiday. So far we had had none.

Breakfast was of poor quality and the hot options we received were cold when served. We were staying in a five star establishment in the Caribbean (home of tropical fruit) and being served very dull concentrated fruit juice and Lipton Yellow Label tea. Poor!

For the remainder of our stay we will had a continental breakfast delivered the night before as it is the only way we could avoid a two hour invasion of privacy in the morning. Needless to say we were not be eating fresh produce for breakfast as it had been sitting on the counter top all night.
The quality of the Continental breakfast was poor. Muffins and Danish that were near stale and a fruit platter prepared the night before which was beginning to go hard around the edges. On the morning of the 4th our Danish was infested with ants. See photo.

Sunday morning the bed collapsed while I was drinking tea. Apparently the wood was rotten. We lost our privacy for the entire day as there were maintenance men in and out. The bed was very dirty and thread bare and generally very tatty. The bed had been broken and repaired before. It was also really embarrassing going to reception to inform them the bed was broken.

Beach bar / restaurant had no toilet. We were told to use the toilet by the pool, which is further from the restaurant than our suite. The chairs and tables at the beach were chipped and sticky. There was no evidence the furniture is cleaned. The sun loungers at the beach are also dirty.

The gym had a fridge which sometimes had water in it. Other times I had to go to reception to collect water. On the morning of the 4th we visited the gym to find bottles of water with broken seals containing tap water.

Lawn mower outside our room at 05:45 keeping everyone awake!

The Wifi signal was weak when it worked.

I am at a bit of a loss as to why our top end travel agent recommend this place as it lacks quality in just about every aspect possible.

The beach at the Calabash is its saving grace. It is beautiful. I think it's ironic that the best thing about the hotel is something the hotel has no control of. The beach is public.

The Calabash is the worst hotel we have had the misfortune of visiting for 20 years and certainly can not be classed as luxury.

If we had booked our entire 3 1/2 week holiday here I would have insisted on being relocated. Fortunately we were only at the Calabash for 5 nights. I sent a letter of complaint to the travel agent who passed it on to the hotel. I received a 60% refund for our stay at the Calabash. This to me is an admission of the hotels poor state. However the management and owner were full of excuses and even implied I was fabricating some of the experiences. Fortunately I had taken photos at every opportunity.

There was no point in complaining while at the Calabash as the list of problems with the hotel was too long which would have taken more of my precious holiday time and would have caused a lot of ill feeling with the staff.

The whole establishment has a feeling of being 'let go'. It is unhygienic and dirty. Service is poor.
If you are looking for a luxury hotel in Grenada I suggest you look elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Newbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Having been an avid user of trip advisor in the past for our many forays around the world, we felt it only fair that we should finally contribute something. So here goes! We stayed for 10 nights at the beginning of May at The Calabash which is a haven of tranquility set in beautiful grounds. We stayed on an all inclusive basis which we wouldn't normally do however we thought this was the best option given the price of the food at the hotel's Rhodes restaurant. However it cannot be over stated that the food and dining experience in both restaurants is some of the best that we have encountered. During our stay the hotel and the whole island was very quiet however this just added to the peace and tranquility. As a keen diver I made full use of the Scubatech operation attached to the hotel and found them to be very professional, friendly and accommodating and would highly recommend their services. All in all we had a wonderful time and full compliments must go to the outstanding staff who without exception made us feel welcome.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Taos, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Though repeat visits to outstanding places often fail to recapture their prior excellence, the Calabash is a noteworthy exception to this rule. We have been guests at the Calabash on three occasions over a twenty-year period, and its extremely high quality has never diminished. Indeed, it may have even improved. The very worst thing that we can say about the place is that the food is simply too, too good. We would visit again in a heartbeat. This hotel is the epitome of gracious English hospitality, all without being the least bit intrusive or stuffy. We have never felt as well cared for as we have felt at the Calabash.

Room Tip: All rooms are excellent.
Cheshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

The Calabash provides an ideal restful location in a lovely setting. The staff are most charming and welcoming with accomodation and food of the highest standards, be it breakfast served on your veranda or dinner in the restuarant . The staff and managment do everything to make your stay enjoyable and care free as possible.

Room Tip: Have an upstairs room on the east side then you get the sun in the evening
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I need to start by telling you why you must not choose the Calabash ,if you are.....
a party animal
a noisy person
if you don't like to get dressed up for dinner
if you have no manners
If however you are like all the wonderful people we met there in April,you will stay at the Calabash for the following reasons:
The beautiful serene gardens (which must take a lot of work to maintain)
The wonderful views from your Villa
The quiet relaxed beach(it is not private as there is not such a thing is Grenada but i might as well have been)
The excellent food,we were All Inclusive and all meals were good
The relaxed but excellent service from all the staff without exception.
So now to the detail:
THE ROOMS
I think any room on this property would be of a high standard,we stayed in a Junior Suite which was spacious and very clean with nice bright decor and a high ceiling,the bathroom was huge with a whirlpool bath,walk in shower and his and hers sinks.We were on a top suite so we had a balcony,this is where we were served breakfast by our lovely maids and what a treat that is ,with fresh fruit,eggs and bacon and even pancakes if you wish.
Our suite was like a "home from home" everything you could need and because of the peace and quiet a great nights sleep every night!
THE BEACH
Whilst not the biggest beach around is it certainly one of the most relaxed ,sand is soft and sea is warm,you are never too far from the beach bar and there are plenty of shady spots for the non sun worshipers like me!! (you will however go brown if you want to trust me)
BASH RESTAURANT (for lunch)
Thanks to Mark B for the great food,everything is fresh and cooked to order ,the selection is just right and has a sophisticated feel to it (yes even the burger which is cooked just right).
There is a good selection of Tapas bites (a lighter option) or if you are feeling brave go for the Roti it is a traditional pancake with curry filling and it is huge,as Mark said to us it is truly Man vs Food!!(no i couldn't finish it) but one of the other guest had a really good go,she knows who she is !!).
RHODES RESTUARANT (for dinner)
Again great food and a good selection ,specials every night which is always a good choice and superb seafood.Be aware the portion sizes are not huge but just right especially if you are having a starter and dessert.Sophisticated surroundings and entertainment (very low key)
Imagine going out for a posh evening at home every night and i think you get the idea.
AND NOW AND MOST IMPORTANTLY THE STAFF:
I have been lucky enough to see a lot of the world over many years and it is without doubt the staff that make or break a holiday,The Calabash seem to have just the right balance of staff who are both attentive and relaxed,professional yet always personable,i would love to mention them all!!!
Thanks to George at the Main Bar for always having my drink ready..what a star.
Thanks to Michael and Sherylyn for keeping things running smoothly and their prompt service.
Thanks to Brandon (keep doing a good job!!)
Thanks to Rhondi for always smiling and great personal service
Thanks to Ingrid for her lovely charm and good dance moves
Thanks to all the guys at the Beach Bar for great drinks with good service
Thanks to Mark B for the great food and always taking time out to chat.
Also a special mention for Clive the General Manager for taking time to show me around the hotel and looking after us.
Thanks to everyone at this hotel for making our stay truly relaxing and thanks to Leo and family for their hard work and high standards,when money is tight it is nice to know that it is not wasted if you stay at this lovely property.
I would love this hotel to stay my little secret,but i know that would be selfish,so if you are a little older in years and are looking for a relaxing holiday at a well run hotel then book it!!

Room Tip: All rooms are good,but i prefer a top floor one
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

This was our seventh visit and it really is 'home from home'. Leo, Clive and all the staff are friendly and welcoming. The Rhodes restaurant food and service is excellent. Relax on the beach with a Calabash Corker rum punch watching the yachts in the bay or it's only a few minutes drive into town for a stroll around the market and shops. If you should want a change of dining venue there are several restaurants within a few minutes drive. After a hard days sunbathing relax on the balcony with a sundowner. Breakfast is totally relaxed, served on your balacony and another hard days sunbathing to look forward to. See you next time folks, can't wait!!!

Room Tip: Rooms on the East get a view of the sunset whilst rooms on the West get the cooling breeze, or go fo...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Calabash Hotel? Share your experiences!