My husband and I spent two weeks at The Calabash in April 2013.
The hotel complex is stunningly beautiful and very peaceful. The staff provide an excellent service which is friendly and relaxed. The food and drinks are of top quality. We couldn't have asked for much more.
We had a very warm welcome on arriving at the hotel. My first glimpse of the gardens took my breath away. We were then taken straight to our suite (no checking in hassle) and cocktails were sent up so we could start relaxing without delay! This set the tone for the holiday: everything was well thought out and quietly efficient.
We stayed in a Westside suite on the first floor (number 5) which is close to the sea and, like all the suites, overlooks the beautiful gardens. It was very clean, well maintained, very light and pleasant.
Breakfasts were served on our balcony which was brilliant as there was no need to rush to get ready to go somewhere for your breakfast; you take it leisurely, in your dressing gown if you like, while gazing out at the gardens and the sea and listening to the birds calling.
The beach feels very safe. There are vendors but they don't hassle you; if you just say 'no thanks' and you'll be left alone. My husband went out diving several times and I was quite happy alone on the beach while he was away.
Lunches are taken at the Bash restaurant on the beach. It's informal and the food is a real treat. There is a good regular selection and also specials. The fish was always very fresh and delicious and the burgers were excellent. As if that wasn't enough Mark B and his staff will endeavour to cook something you like even if it isn't on the menu. Mark B is a very friendly guy who talks to all the diners and his enthusiasm is genuine and really shows in the food.
Dinners are a more formal affair in the Rhodes restaurant. We enjoyed the food there, especially different fish which we'd never had before. The only very minor criticism we had was that occasionally the fish was a little overcooked for our tastes. I had beef and pork dishes too which were cooked perfectly. But overall the food was very good indeed. It was always well presented and there was plenty of it.
We went all inclusive which was the right choice for us, but some of the other guests recommended going out to eat at other places on some evenings just for a change in menu and atmosphere. Also, the entertainment at the Rhodes restaurant is mostly quite sedate so probably wouldn't suit party animals who want to dance and drink the night away. We were quite happy there every night though.
All the waiting staff at Calabash are simply awesome. They go out of their way to ensure you are happy and they are fabulous people too. We got to know some of the staff during our stay and they would chat and joke with us. By the time we left we felt sad to be leaving them as they felt more like friends. Our maid was lovely too.
Our holiday at Calabash was the most wonderfully relaxing break I've ever had. I hope to return someday and do it all again!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- On the Caribbean island of Grenada, known worldwide for its exceptional natural beauty, long white sand beaches and turquoise sea, is the luxury boutique hotel, Calabash. The Calabash Hotel combines five star service and luxury within a relaxed & intimate environment to create the ultimate Caribbean escape. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, Despegar.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Calabash Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Calabash Hotel
- Calabash Hotel St Georges
- Calabash Hotel Grenada/Saint George Parish