My wife and I are just back from our third visit to the Calabash in three years. It is a delight to be welcomed on arrival (and seen off at departure) by the owner and manager, and welcomed back by many of the staff who seem more like old friends.
The hotel is calm and genteel, there are never any unpleasant surprises on returning to the hotel. One will not find it suddenly overrun by children, or loud guests.
The hotel's main asset is the staff, nothing is too much trouble. For example, on our departure day we had to move to another suite for our late check out. We had left a half finished bottle of wine in our mini bar, and the man who checks them came to find us on the beach and asked if we wanted it taken to our temporary room!! Amazing thoughtfulness and service.
I must say that this time we were rather disappointed by the quality of the food in the Rhodes restaurant. It is only quite 'ordinary', and we had a couple of dishes that were well below par. Fish cakes that were virtually all potato, and a potted chicken liver parfait which was a warm brown mush, and quite disgusting. I don't know how often Mr Rhodes visits the restaurant, but I can't imagine any of today's 'celebrity chefs' wanting to put their name to it.
Regarding the rooms: They are clean, comfortable and everything works, they are not luxurious by any means, the furniture has a 'basic' look to it. I would say it is very worthwhile upgrading to a Superior Suite as they are far better than the Whirlpool Suites, as these have a large walk in wardrobe, plenty of storage and a separate sitting area. The Plunge Pool Suites are not worth the extra cost, (unless you feel you really have to have a pool) because the bathrooms are smaller, with no separate shower, small wardrobe and no proper dressing table.
The hotel can't claim to have twice daily housekeeping, unlike most 5* hotels. In the evening used towels are not removed or replaced, waste bins not emptied, ice not replenished and the canapé plate left lying on the table. That's if you are lucky enough for the maid to come in at all!!
We have enjoyed our stays, but having been for three years, we think we will give the hotel a miss for a while.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- On the Caribbean island of Grenada, known worldwide for its exceptional natural beauty, long white sand beaches and turquoise sea, is the luxury boutique hotel, Calabash. The Calabash Hotel combines five star service and luxury within a relaxed & intimate environment to create the ultimate Caribbean escape. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Tingo, Travelocity, Despegar.com, Expedia, BookingOdigeoWL and Venere so you can book your Calabash Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Calabash Hotel
- Calabash Hotel St Georges
- Calabash Hotel Grenada/Saint George Parish