“Caribbean charm in a beautiful setting” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Calabash Hotel

Save Saved
You added Calabash Hotel to your Saves list
Calabash Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Box 382 | L'Ance Aux Epines Beach, St. George's, Grenada   |
Special Price
15% off room rate
Ranked #2 of 25 hotels in St. George's
London
“Caribbean charm in a beautiful setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

The Calabash has always had a wonderful reputation and now I am lucky enough to be one of the privileged few to know why. From the perfect setting in manicured grounds, the comfortable rooms with spacious terraces to the charming staff whose warmth and easy smiles are so welcoming, this is a slice of old fashioned paradise. It is not for everyone........ fortunately! The colonial atmosphere, sedate style and relaxed attitude of this small (30 rooms) hotel is perfect for those of us who are not looking for full on action or a holiday for a lively family! It is for resting, chatting, sipping a cocktail under a palm tree and catching up on all those books and magazines you have promised yourself you will one day get around to reading....... Late mornings and early nights, a boat trip to see this beautiful island from the sea (we chartered a katamaran and skipper from nearby Blue Horizons yacht charter which was incredible value and very spoiling) and a day tour with Mandoo our very knowledgeable tour guide, was enough to keep us entertained. But for the more adventurous there is plenty to do on the island and in the sea. We did have lunch at Petit Bacaye, a small hotel/restaurant 25 minutes away and in a fantastic, remote setting, where you can eat at tree level watching the fishermen haul in their catch whilst feasting on delicious salads. (You could stay here too if you want something very rustic and romantic). But Calabash is hard to beat for elegant style and delicious food, whether you are eating from their own menu or that created by Gary Rhodes. Leo, Clive and their wonderful team of staff run a smooth and friendly operation which keeps guests returning year after year and I can see why, it is an exclusive house party where everyone is made so welcome. It fully deserves it's fantastic reputation and they should not change a thing.

Room Tip: Rooms facing directly to the beach through the gardens (16 - 24) get late afternoon sun for relaxing...

319 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

We've been fortunate to vacation in the Caribbean many times (dozens) but never Grenada. Wow, we were missing a slice a paradise for all those years. We had a wonderful time, the room was huge with a gorgeous view straight onto the beach - fabulous. All the staff were extremely helpful and I met a lot of guests who were repeat customers coming back year after year. The food was delicious and the ambiance in the restaurant was just the best, all in all an excellent hotel and fab beach and I would not hesitate to recommend this Hotel to anybody whether couples, individuals or families.

Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Lewiston, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

On our second visit to the Calabash Hotel, we felt like we were returning to visit family. Our upgraded room was wonderful and even nearer to the SCUBA TECH dive center and the fabulous beach restaurant. Every meal, from breakfast on our terrace, tapas by the beach to incredible dinners at the beautiful Rhodes restaurant, was a memorable event. The hotel has added a new Hobie Cat that was delight to sail when we weren't SCUBA diving or enjoying the beach. Weather and ambiance were perfect.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the upstairs superior whirlpool suite which was larger than our previous west wing suite...
Stone Staffordshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Our thanks to Clive and his team for welcoming us to their superb hotel following the closure of Le Source where we were originally booked. In retrospect we should have booked the Calabash as a first preference - it suited our needs exactly. Don't go here if you want organised activities and entertainment throughout the day but do if you want a relaxed time and to be pampered by excellent inobtrusive first class service.
The resturants are all good (the Rhodes is excellent) and the cocktails are well constructed! The beach is quiet and spacious and lunch at the beach bar is very good. There are only 32 rooms in the hotel and as far as we could tell all are first class and comfortable. The advantage of this is that you can be as sociable or as unsociable as you wish without feeling pressured either way; the friendliness of the staff rubbed off on the guests and we met some lovely people to spend the week with.
Scubatec are the on-site diving shop and their kit and experience is good and although they were having problems with boat engines while we were there this did not detract from the diving. The people of Grenada are universally friendly and there is always a smile with the service. Overall a great experience.

Room Tip: We had 26 Easter Lily which was spacious and comfortable
scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Dear Clive and team at the Calabash, thank you so much for your warm welcome and for looking after us so well for a week.
You upgraded us two room categories at check-in - fantastic! Who wouldn't love Easter Lily, room 26, light and airy, with its spacious separate living room, little kitchen area, walk in wardrobe, huuuuge bed and bathroom with monsoon shower and whirlpool bath.
We didn't spend much of the day in our room though. We loved your swimming pool in its secluded courtyard. One busy morning there were 6 of us there...
Half board was the right choice for us. We loved the food and the ambience at Rhodes restaurant so much we would not have wanted to eat anywhere else at night. We thought it terrific value with the full a la carte menu available to half board guests, coffee (even liqueur coffees) included and really decent house wines inexpensive by the glass.
Nor did we eat anywhere other than Mark B's at the beach bar for lunch - food was just too good to miss.
Our only mistake was to book just one week. Would definitely stay longer another time.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Worcester Park, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Going to a place I love, to a hotel I know with lots of activities to fill my time...what could go wrong for a person travelling alone?.... The hotel (Le Source) was closed down 10 days before my departure, to my horror. I booked the Calabash on the recommendation of British Airways. Upon arrival I was greeted by Annisha, one of the most personable receptionists I've ever met. She showed me to my room and made sure I felt comfortable. She even ensured I wasn't dining alone on my first evening but with Sally from the spa. My room was spacious, clean & close to the main facility with all the usual appliances & gadgets I've become used to getting (it was nice not being a singleton relegated to the outer edges of the resort). The food in the Gary Rhodes restaurant was lovely & the staff clearly take pride in their service. I had a couple of treatments with Sally at the spa...well what can I say - this lady has some moves. She was, without doubt, the single individual who totally turned around what could have been a lonely, boring holiday (compared to what I had expected) into one of the most comfortable & relaxed holidays I've had. I played tennis, swam in the sea & pool, used the gym and enjoyed my treatments. I made some great friends & I want to say thank you to Lilian & her staff for doing their absolute best to help me enjoy my time. If you're travelling alone & looking for some r&r then you will feel safe and looked after at the Calabash. No wild evenings but you don't need to go far from the resort for some dancing & fun....one last mention is to Mark at the beach restaurant - banana crumbles to die for, I enjoyed all his lunches without exception.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

A holiday in an hotel is often only as good as the staff and the people you meet. Here at the Calabash the staff are fantastic, the management very welcoming and one meets the nicest people.
This was our fourth visit and nothing disappointed. The Westside suites (soon to be renamed) have been refurbished, the dressing room and bathroom have been opened up, the bath removed and a large wet area with rain-head and another shower fitted. I loved it but as my partner loves a bath he was not so sure however six other guests offered to let him use their baths (all women!) He declined (as they used to say in The News of the World!!) Patio doors have also been installed between the bedroom and balcony, there is an insect screen so the door could be left open overnight although it was too hot whilst we were there, thank goodness for air conditioning.
Also new is the lunchtime Bash restaurant run by Mark. Although we only ate there once with three others it was very good. The comments from other guests were also very favorable.
The Rhodes restaurant was as good as ever, my partner had seven fillet steaks on seven nights out of the fourteen times we dined there, I guess you could say he recommended it! Well done to Dexter and his team. Also well done to Michael and his team for the excellent service.
Breakfast on one's own balcony is such a great idea, sitting in the warmth overlooking the sea and the beautiful garden and being served an individual and perfectly cooked breakfast by the room maid is my idea of heaven. Thank you Monica.
The staff in the two bars give great service and are fun to be around. Well done all of you.
Sally and Sue in the spa continue to work their magic on tired bodies and muscles, every guest is offered a complimentary back and shoulders massage - so lovely, so relaxing.
Once again we had a very enjoyable and trouble free holiday at the Calabash. I am sure we will return. Maybe see you there.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Calabash Hotel? Share your experiences!