“Nothing like advertised” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 23 hotels in St. George's
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Nothing like advertised”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

Stayed in September for 10 days. The pool bar was shut and not once was there a member if staff available which meant that if you wanted a cold drink you had two flights of stairs to negotiate. The pool was used on 4 separate occasions for children's swimming lessons and 2 occasions for adults diving lessons so was rarely available to hotel guests. When it was there were members of the health club using it as well which due to its small size was not viable. There was only one restaurant area open in the evening which is located next to the owl bar and adjacent to the area the crab racing is held which means you are sat next to a lot if drunken students whilst trying to eat your evening meal. The rooms are situated across a main road from the pool and restaurants and if you go on the beach you are hounded by beach sellers as it is a public beach. The first room we were given was filthy which meant we were moved to the top of the hill hardly ideal when I have limited mobility which Thomsons and the flamboyant were fully aware if before our arrival. I couldn't use the beach buggy as if you were at the pool there was no way to contact reception due to the bar being closed resulting in having to book a car for the full duration just to get up and down to the room. Wouldn't stay again under any circumstances as I was stunned by the terrible standard if this hotel. I have travelled extensively and worked for 11 years in the travel industry for a major airline but I have never experienced such a terrible hotel before and hopefully will never encounter one again. Grenada is beautiful and I will return just to a hotel that isn't filthy and that cares about the guests.

• Stayed September 2012

480 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

This was our 3rd stay at the Flamboyant. It will not be our last. This hotel has many repeat guests so that says so much. The views say it all,the location says it all. Unpretentious is the best description. The Caribbean as it should be, simple, clean and friendly. My only warning to anyone considering staying here, be careful or this could easily become your second home.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

We stayed at the hotel in the middle of September.

I've been to Grenada before, so I was aware that hotel standards in the Caribbean can be different to those in the UK, so I was slightly concerned about booking a 3 star hotel for our 3 night stay.

As it goes, I shouldn't have been worried about the hotel as it is in a perfect location and was exactly what we needed for a relaxing stay. The room wasn't particularly modern, but it was clean and the balcony offered amazing views of the famous Grande Anse Beach. I probably had the best sleep I'd ever had on holiday as the bed was very comfy, so much so I didn't actually want to get up!

The food was the best I've eaten on holiday, I couldn't fault this place - portions were perfect size and it was delicious. I also recommend the cocktails which were again the best I've had on holiday.

I would advise that if you have walking difficulties this hotel probably isn't for you as there are several steps to the restaurant and a steep hill to reach the hotel rooms.

I have a few negatives:

- During quiet season, the hotel doesn't fumigate the bugs as much as it does in busy season, so we got bitten a lot whilst sat on the beach and in the bar.
- There isn't any evening entertainment when it's quiet season, so expect a very quiet stay!
- Only one bar remains open during quiet season which was particularly annoying when sunbathing by the pool as you had to walk to the beach bar to get a drink.

Despite the negatives, I would recommend this hotel but maybe not during quiet season.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Torquay, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for one week on an all inclusive basis at the end of Nov. 2012. We had a deluxe room with two queen beds which was spotlessly clean and well serviced with fantastic views of Grand Anse beach looking over to the capital St. George where we watched the cruise liners come and go daily. We had a warm and friendly welcome from the staff with a glass of fruit punch on arrival and help with our bags to our room. The hotel is not new but has some charm and character in keeping with the Caribbean and is very well maintained with beautiful gardens. All the staff were very friendly and attentive particularly in the restaurant where we had some excellent lunches and dinners. Breakfast was served in the main restaurant but all our other meals we had in the beach side bistro which was open air with lovely views and had a great atmosphere in the evening. We chose our meals from an a la carte menu which was served to our table and was so much better than the usual all inclusive buffet, especially as the staff were so good and kept us topped up with iced water and wine. There is a good choice of drinks from the bar and around the pool including local beers,cocktails, spirits etc. and the wines supplied for lunch and dinner were good quality. There was not a great deal of entertainment but we had crab racing one eveing which was good fun, a fantastic steel band on another night and a managers rum punch party. We felt very comfortable and relaxed here and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to friends, in our opinion extremely good value for money.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms are the nearest to the beach, restaurant, pool and reception and have the fewest steps...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Had a weeks break at the Flamboyant Hotel at the end of November 2012, found this hotel and booked with Virgin Holidays.

As a single traveller I found it was good value (normally single supplement would make it too dear) I asked for a room high up, but every room has a great view of Anse Beach right along to St Georges, where you can see the cruise liner come and go.

The room was large and clean, and you even get a small kitchen (although I only used the fridge!) The bathroom, which had a shower again was large. Bed and bedding was very good and it was nice to get up and look at the view every morning.

The hotel rooms are set on a hillside so there are steps or a steep slope to go up & down each day for the meals, beach or pool. The hotel has a buggy which will take you if you can not manage it

This time of the year seems to be quiet as there was never any problem getting a sun bed by the pool or on the beach. The beach and sea was fantastic, you could walk the 3 mile beach, swim, snorkel or dive all day. There are locals who try to sell you things but they are polite and if you say no they accept that, they will also like to have a chat and become friends by the end of the holiday.

I found the breakfast was enough for me although I have stayed in hotels which offer more. The evening meals were always hot and freshly cooked, they were very tasty and you have a choice.

All the staff and locals were very friendly, even on the sightseeing trips people would wave out and chat. I did the half day island tour and a hike to see the waterfall. If you plan to do the hike/walk take walking boots. You can get these clean by the locals on the way back!

If you turn left when you come out of the hotel you can get a good view of the sunset each night.

Really enjoyed my stay and can not think of anything negative to say about it.

Room Tip: US$ are accepted but you will get the change back in EC$ Very quick transfer from the airport
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

We Just got back from a 7night stay at flamboyant beach resort, Grenada.  I cannot speak highly enough of this place.  You definitely have to experience it to believe it.  For the price of our stay this resort is seriously good value for money.

The room was a deluxe studio with a kitchenette as we wanted to go self catering. The room was nice enough and the kitchenette included fridge freezer, microwave, kettle,  coffee maker, blender, toaster, cooker, kitchen sink,  iron, ironing board - all the comforts of home. (A word of warning do not leave any food out - this is the Caribbean and ants will get in!)  The room overall was bigger than expected and the bathroom was a really good size.  All facilities were very clean and tidy and housekeeping came once a day.

All staff are very friendly and helpful,  especially Chade on reception - lovely guy and he really took care of us.  Randall -  sales and marketing manager, went above and beyond to provide excellent guest relations and helped us out constantly throughout our stay.

The best thing bout this place is the view!  All rooms at this resort have breathtaking views of the beach and ocean as the rooms are quite high up.  The swimming pool, gardens,  dining room, bar and beach are further down the hillside with access via steps or there is a beach buggy that will take you back to your room if you don't fancy climbing back up all of the steps.

Local amenities not attached to the hotel included a local shopping mall with a supermarket,  banks,  food court,  clothes and souvenir shops,  everything you'd ever need on vacation .  We used Eastern Caribbean Dollars but most if not all places accepted US dollars too.

The resorts private beach is stunning and kept immaculately well,  beach towels and loungers provided.  A dive and snorkel centre is also located on the resort, Ricardo the dive instructor is amazingly professional, knowledgeable and patient with new divers!  Highly recommend the dive excursion to the underwater sculpture park.  (incidentally, one of the sculptures in the underwater park is actually Ricardo!!! - the one sitting at the desk - an image of this was actually used on the cover of Eddie "Pearl Jam" Vedders album, Ukulele Songs!).

The bar is lots of fun with cocktails, pool and karaoke in the evening and there was a steel band playing on our last night.   I would recommend you bring mosquito and insect repellant as its quite expensive if you buy it locally but  it's an essential purchase if you're going down to the diningroom/bar/beach  in the evenings.

Thanks again for everything flamboyant! We miss you already!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
bali
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Stayed here in November 2012, the room was more of a suite which had a great balcony with a view of Anse Beach. The window to the room was about 2 meteres so was great for making you smile when you saw the beach through same.

I paid 51 dollars a night so was a happy camper and would definetly go back. The pool looked nice and you have an elevated spot to take great pictures. Bed was comfy and room was what you would expect of 4 star.

J

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Flamboyant Hotel & Villas? Share your experiences!