“Perfect for us” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Spice Island Beach Resort

You added Spice Island Beach Resort to your Saves list
Spice Island Beach Resort
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Grand Anse Beach | P.O. Box 6, St. George's 00000, Grenada   |
Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in St. George's
london
“Perfect for us”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

A 2 week family holiday to celebrate my 60th birthday we wanted somewhere to suit 5 adults 2 children age 10 and 8. Having visited the West Indies many times, we wanted an Island to be a 1st for all of us, a small resort, the Spice Island Hotel Grenada was our choice. Having stayed at the Sofitel Gatwick the night before, and took the advantage of BA's twilight check in, we walked straight through and boarded the plane on my 60th day!!! which was great fun, but without a badge or ballon in sight!!!! We flew BA's World Traveller Plus, all I will say it does not compare with Virgin's Premium Ecomony. The holiday was booked through Elegant Resorts, who we have used before and cannot fault. On arrival we were met by their excellent rep Anne, taken by three 4x4s !! the 10 mins journey to Spice Island. Arrival was so welcoming and speedy just what you want after a long flight. All being tired the troops decended to our Sea Grape suite, we requested from the restaurant room service, the menu from the evening meal was delivered by a team of staff, and the lovely Patricia who remained to assist us, it was this type of service that we knew we had made the right choice.. The Sea Grape 21 and Oleander rooms were beautiful, kept spotless by a great team. Garden areas, walkways, pool the same. We decided to take half board, this suited us all. The children could choose either from their own menu, or ours, if given minimal notice they could request something different. Nothing was too much trouble for this Hotel, their customer service was 1st class. We requested 3 picnics during our stay, one being a picnic on another beach Morne Rouge Bay (BBC beach) very nearby a perfect small bay we had the beach to our selves. We snorkelled and found 2 beautiful large star fish along with surprisingly many fishes for the GranKids to squeal over. A Catamaran trip, (Shadowfax would have been our 1st choice but we were told the cat was in dry dock) so we chose through Spice a 1/2 day with First Impressions, snacks/drinks/punch! two snorkelling bays, which included the underwater statues, a unique site, saw lots of fish, including large parrots, the gkids just loved it, our grandaughter 8 was concerned about the depth, but with snorkelling jackets from Aquanauts (just in case) a firm hand to hold she loved it. The children by the end of the holiday perfected snorkelling, even off Grand Anse just down from Spice was an area where we saw many fish, a harmless sting ray came right into shore and caused quite a stir. We managed to tick off quite a few from our chart. The children visited Aquanauts for the canoes, etc they could not have been more helpful. We took light lunches either at Spice or a walk to Umbrellas just up from Spice. BBs, very accomodating with the Gkids excellent lunch fun place to visit. Mandoo's tour of the Island was just another highlight, we took some bananas from breakfast, I had my fingers crossed that the Gkids would see the mona monkeys and they did. Mandoo placed a banana on my daughters head and this rather large monkey jumped on her and took it off!!! All happened so quick never really thought about Elf and Safety!! Mandoo made the trip so interesting he is very passionate about Grenada. Like most places, beach vendors, a polite no is accepted, My Gson had many chats with the famous "Alvin" who made him a necklace, we had no hesitation purchasing it from him, along with a spice charm from another character, and a visit to the vendor's market, to us its part of our holiday having a barter and a chat, right or wrong its our choice. We used the Spa and enjoyed our treatments we understand this area, along with others are being renovated during a short closure there is a need for some up dating. Entertainment was low key every other evening, but was professional and for us enjoyable, so from Sir Roystons home cocktail party ,to dancing with the staff including the GM and his lovely wife, just added to what was a "Perfect holiday for Us" Fabian, Sharon, Stephen, Cortley, Swanie, Patricia, Winston, Karen, Wilton, Nicolson, to name a few, we feel all staff were a credited to the hotel. This hotel helped us with many request from England and during our stay, we would not hesitate in recommending.

Room Tip: Sea Grape suites near to the pool
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Eastleigh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

We travelled in May/June 2012

This was a wonderful holiday and was faultless. We stayed in a seagrape suite. Which was on the beach. I had a look around the hotel with the manager. We only had 5 days here, however we loved every minuite. the hotel have half board and All Inclusive. Def go for All Inclusive!!! We did half board and had a heavy drinks bill at the end :(

Room Tip: sea Grape suite or Royal suite this has its own pool
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
West Sussex
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

We've been regular visitors to the Caribbean and have visited a good number of the islands and a variety of hotels, all 3*+, but it has been our experience that star ratings aren't always to be trusted, which can also on occassions apply to reviews.

It has been habit since our first trip as teenages (we're now in our 40's, just!) to always travel with all medical essentials, but we have rarely needed them. We'd had a stressful couple of years and had been unable to get away for a couple years, so this time thought we'd spend the extra and stay at the Spice Island. We could only spare a week so upgraded our room to one with a pool.

The hotel is quiet, appears clean and the staff are a cut above most in the caribbean. It was nice to be known by name, and the place had an air of relaxed luxury where you were free to drift from one thing to another and soak up the relaxing atmosphere. We enjoyed the food, it was slightly fussy, but appeared well prepared and had an attention to detail edging on pretentious. Drinks were fun and if you enjoy cocktails go all inclusive and enjoy, the bartenders love to mix it up.

The beach is amazing, the best against all other places we've visited, it's proper powder white sand, clean and was pretty quiet, we've come back with some fabulous pictures.

Up until day 3 I was convinced I'd gone to heaven, the stress was long gone and I was feeling very pampered and looked after. I also thought we'd be back for sure, on many occassions.

That night the whole holiday changed for the worst, I fell ill during the night, I'll spare the details since the title gives away enough! By morning I was pale, sweating and weak as a kitten, just had enough energy to get to the loo which thankfully was very near! My husband was amazing and the staff very supportive and great at offering suggestions to help me, but non of it worked and then my husband fell ill too. Competing for the loo was really not funny! But laughter was all you could do or you'd cry! This stayed with us both for the rest of the holiday, everytime you'd think it ok, you'd be sprinting again! Of course as we approached the end of the holiday and the looooong flight home panic began to set in, so we starved and let the flight attendant know just in case. Thankfully we survived without embarrassment, but this wasn't the end. On arrival home it kept reoccuring and I was finally lucky to return to normal more than a week later.

Since we'd arrived we'd not left the hotel, so it had to be hotel based what ever it was. We made the rep aware as we had to cancel our trip around the island which meant we left without seeing the island at all other than the short journey to the airport and the nearby supermarket when we first arrived. The rep offered to call a doctor, but I was fully aware of the costs that could incurr and turned it down.

On departure I mentioned our ill fortune (apologies for the pun), but as with other members of the staff and the rep they quite happily just comment that theres a bug going around.

We heard nothing more from either Virgin or the hotel, so I'm posting this because I've just heard it's been voted 1# hotel in the caribbean by Tripadvisor!! Theres a lot about this hotel that is paradise like, but even now 6 months on I'd have to think hard it it's worth the expense and risk.

This may have just been a one off, but something else I found very worrying was the state of the jacuzzi in our room. Stale warm water mixed with body fats and worse sitting in pipes is never a good thing so I always sanitise a jacuzzi before using it. The result made me reach!! They clearly don't have a programme of cleaning them. Again I made the rep aware of this and the potential risks to health which includes a risk of Legionnaires disease, but heard nothing more.

Finally I should add, we are healthy people rarely suffering illness, in fact this was the first time we'd suffered illness due to a hotel. The thing that concerns me is what else went on dirt wise behind the scenes, pretty frontage and big smiles are lovely, but that saying applies 'don't judge a book by it's cover'.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
watford uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

Its been seven years since our last visit to Spice Island Resort and two years since our last holiday, but boy was it worth the wait.Started the day with a visit to the Virgin lounge at Gatwick highly recommended,great breakfast and massage to get into the spirit.On arrival at Grenada we were chauffeured to the hotel in a stretched limousine wow and that was a big surprise! On arrival at the hotel we had a welcoming committee consisting of Sir Royston and his senior staff which was a lovely touch. If you are looking for a great chill out holiday this is by far the best place to come. If you are looking to lose weight - forget it and don't regret it as you will eat fantastic food and lots of it! and then either use the gym or beach and sea to work it off if that is your preference or you can just soak it all up and worry about it when you get home.All of the staff and management are fantastic and its no wonder this hotel has such a high proportion of returning guests.We were told the hotel is to get a major refurbishment this year which will change the layout of the bar area which can only be for the best as it can be a little on the cramped side.

Room Tip: Choose the Sea Grape Suites
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Galashiels, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

This was our second trip to Spice Island and we enjoyed it just as much, if not more than the first time we travelled there.

This time we took out children 12 and 18 (who were told well in advance that it would be swimming, lounging, reading, eating followed by more of the same). They too enjoyed their stay.

The staff remembered us and those who were new or did not meet us last time were quick to know our names and acknowledge us.

We stayed in adjoining Sea Grape Suites (5&6) which were on the opposite side to our last stay, they were just as good, just as clean and just as well appointed.

We absolutely loved our stay again this time, the mini bar staff were quick to respond to my request for the mini bar. It was topped up daily and the ice topped up twice daily.

Our daughter (12) spent most of the time in the pool and used the kids club, although as it was out of term time there weren't many children there. Each night she took a DVD from reception back to the room after dinner to watch while we had a couple of post dinner drinks in the bar.

The food as usual was fantastic, there wasn't a night any of us were unable to have something we liked from the menu, likewise for lunch and breakfast, we only once had afternoon tea and that was one of the days we missed lunch through being out on a tour of the island. Out daughter was able to utilise the children's menu as well as the option of the full menu.

I cannot comment much on the previous reviews saying the place was boring or that the alcohol was given with contempt - but only to say - this was clearly not the 18-30 holiday they were expecting. There is entertainment but it is low key and unobtrusive and is not on every night, the food and the alcohol sufficed us (and we are Scottish!) but this resort is not one for lively nightlife and drunken daylife, it is a place to come, relax and unwind in an elegant manor. We are in our mid (low mid) 30s and completely enjoyed the relaxation and elegance this resort offers.

There are beach vendors who do pass by, a polite no thank you usually suffices, some do stop to chat but out of politeness, resort patrons are encouraged to go to the local market along the beach to buy from the beach vendors.

The gym is well equipped and was well used on our trip, also the water sports centre at the edge of the resort was well geared up for snorkelling and sailing.

Cant wait to return!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

I just returned from a wonderful 10 day stay at this luxurious resort. This resort was highly recommended by friends who have stayed there in the past, primarily because they had received world class service. My experience was no different, it far exceeded my expectations.The staff including members of Management all remembered me by name even after a few days of being there. My compliments to the chef, whose culinary expertise was well displayed and the food was tasty, breakfast, lunch and dinner, all on par with some of the best restaurants that I've eaten at in the US. I especially loved the local cuisine.

The room was spacious with all the appointments and amenities one could ask for in a five star resort. Hats off to the housekeeping staff who attended to my room twice a day.

The icing on the cake was being entertained by the owner, Sir Royston Hopkin and his family at his home. This was a treat for me and all the other guests at the resort, a step up from the usual managers cocktails that I've attended at other resorts.

This Resort has been by far the best ever that I have stayed at. I highly recommend it and cannot wait to return in the future.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Newtown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Perfection. All-inclusive week (Sea Grape Suite). Resort is extremely clean (no bugs), food menu changed every night, live music every other night, cool towels & drinks offered at the beach, nice long beach to walk along, beautiful warm pool… I want to go back. If you are young and wild this is not for you. If you want to really relax and be spoiled, Spice Island Beach Resort is a great choice. (Nonstop from JFK airport!! to see beautiful sunsets) Impressed:from the beautiful reception upon arrival, to the friendly sincere smiles during departure. Beach front room had everything, AC, WIFI, TV, electric adapters, nicely furnished-even on the patio. The staff is very professional, friendly, showing detail to make a very comfortable stay. Only wish that the pool Jacuzzi worked better.

Room Tip: Looking from the beach, I liked the right side. better.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Spice Island Beach Resort? Share your experiences!