I spent a week at Spice Island with my husband and we had a truly wonderful holiday.
The service in the hotel was perfect from the moment we arrived until the moment we left. We booked a Sea Grape Suite with the all-inclusive package. We arrived late afternoon and were welcomed by some lovely staff at reception, given an ice-cold towel and a delicious cocktail. After zero paperwork we were taken to our room by a member of the staff, who en-route explained all the areas of the hotel, services, etc. The room was beautifully decorated and perfectly maintained. The bathroom was huge, a bath we could both fit into, large separate shower, twin sinks, quality toiletries and loads of soft, fluffy white towels. There was lots of storage space in the room (we were a bit short on coat hangers), a safe, iron and board, and well-lit mirrors. The room (room 1) had twin queen beds, we would have preferred a king, and in the end we just slept in one of the beds, so the other was a waste of space and to make matters worse my husband kept banging his toe on the other bed as the wooden base was wider than the mattress and in the dark was difficult to navigate! The room had a flat screen TV, clock with i-pod dock, a sofa, good lighting, and of course a sea view, although from Room 1 the view is very slightly obscured by the water sports building. The outdoor space was nice with a sofa area as well as a table and chairs. There were two loungers and a large hammock in the "garden area". The in-room wi-fi worked perfectly and was relatively fast.
Breakfast at Spice Island is a buffet of fruits, cereals and pastries and then a hot menu. Our coffee was served in a cafetiere, so there was always plenty. I loved the fact that there were fish dishes on the menu. The Fish Creole was outstanding. The daily local juice and the fresh fruit could not be better.The restaurant is right by the beach, and there is plenty of space between tables.
Lunch is served in a more informal bar/restaurant area, as well as the standard items on the menu, there was a daily Roti, a Catch of the day, Soup of the day and Chef's special, so there was always plenty of variety. The desserts were very good and it was nice to see sorbets and ice creams with caribbean flavours.
Afternoon tea is also served but as we often had a late lunch we never got to try it, although other guests said it was very good with all the trimmings.
We quickly got used to having a pre-dinner cocktail at the bar and it was nice to chat to other guests. The cocktail list was good and the staff very attentive and quick to ask if you needed a refill! During the day the bar staff patrolled the beach , handing out cold towels and taking drink orders, however far away you were from the actual bar.
Dinner was perfect every single night, starting with the amuse-bouche, aperitif, soup or salad, main course and dessert, ending with coffee and petit-fours. Every single dish was perfectly cooked, well-presented, and served with a smile by attentive staff. We were never rushed. There was always an interesting selection of breads, including sweet potato and pumpkin. We are not wine drinkers so it was nice to be offered plenty of sparkling water with the meals, with the glass being constantly refilled. My favourite dishes had to be the Sushi-grade tuna and the double baked Chocolate soufflé.
I had a facial and my husband a massage at the Spa, both treatments were excellent, in lovely surroundings and pampered by lovely staff.
The actual hotel is right on the beach, the pool is pleasant and has salt water so there is no nasty chlorine taste. It's shallow in some areas so is nice for non-swimmers. There are plenty of seating areas all around the pool and bar area so it never felt crowded. There is a double boutique just outside reception. A short walk down the road there is a small shopping centre where we bought delicious Grenada chocolate and newspapers.
All the staff at Spice Island seem to enjoy their jobs, the smiles are genuine, I could mention lots of names, but to be fair every single member of the staff did a wonderful job, even the guy cleaning the pool chatted to us, they all learnt our names but at the same time were very discreet. In fact we didn't bump into our room maid until our final day.
I will certainly return to Spice Island and I have added it to my list of Top Caribbean Favourites along with The Sandpiper (Barbados) and East Winds (St. Lucia). It would be very difficult to improve this hotel, the owners have certainly got it right and it shows in the service and quality.
If you want good food, excellent service and beautiful surroundings, this is the place.
- Also Known As:
- Spice Island Beach Hotel St. George`s
- Spice Island Beach Hotel
- Spice Island Grenada
- Hotel Spice Island Beach
- Spice Island Beach Resort Grenada/Saint George Parish
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Paradise Re-Imagined. Owned and operated by Sir Royston Hopkin, KCMG and Family, this 64 suite Spice Island Beach Resort recreates its original elegance with a modern flair on Grenada’s breathtaking Grand Anse Beach. Sixteen hundred feet of powder white sand captivatingly frames 32 beachfront suites featuring indoor living rooms, breezy exterior terraces and private rock gardens. Graceful architecture complemented by new colours and exquisite furnishings make this award-winning resort even more exclusive. Presiding over these golden sands are the Cinnamon and Saffron Suites. Unmatched in elegance each of these One Bedroom Suites captures the spice scented breezes with lazy hammocks on private patios. Custom-furnished, and available as two bedrooms when booked with a Sea Grape Beach Suite, this is a beach lover’s dream. Seventeen additional pool suites have their own private swimming pools and gardens steps away from the ocean. The Royal Collection, Luxury Almond and Anthurium Pool suites are all private oasis that offer the guest an intimate experience like no other. All suites are equipped with modern luxuries like Flat Screen Televisions, Italian Frette™ Linen, Molton Brown® amenities and ensuite bathrooms featuring whirlpool tubs and double vanities it is little wonder that this tranquil haven continues to be a treasured secret amongst the travel elite. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Expedia and Tingo so you can book your Spice Island Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.