“What's the big deal?” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #14 of 53 Restaurants in St. George's
Cuisines: Caribbean
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dessert, Breakfast, Dinner, Buffet, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Expanded and refurbished in September 2009, The Aquarium Restaurant has a stylish yet relaxed atmosphere, right on Magazine Beach with stunning ocean views. Fresh cocktails or lunch under palm trees, fine dining, relaxed lounging… a breezy dining room with two seawater aquariums, bamboo railings and leather couches, a river-stone lounge bar with funky rattan furniture, a new Koi-pond and waterfall from the natural cliff. Local fish carvings and 3D paintings reflect the tropical underwater scenery.
Augusta Ga
“What's the big deal?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

When in Grenada the 1st restaurant everybody recommends is the Aquarium. We couldn't wait to try it out and since it's expensive saved it for our special night out. Bah! Humbug! Regular old seafood. Lobster was over cooked, steak was good but the best any of us ever had? Not by a long shot. I ordered the bratwurst because the owner is German and when in Rome... I mean it was good but it was just brats, and only brats. None of the entrees come with anything.
The salad bar was very good just don't expect the traditional bar with any say...lettuce. They advertise the "mixologists" which as it turns out will be your server..? If you want anything other than standard fare you can tell them the ingredients to a drink and they'll try to make it.
The ambiance was very nice though. the restaurant is built on the beach at the base of a cliff. The famed waterfall was a little hokey though, the pool companies here at home build better. Take bug spray if you're seated near the cliff and the "tropical pond" which had a couple of turtles and many a skeeter.
I toured the whole place twice and only found 2 aquariums. The big one was bone dry and the only living thing in the round one at the center of the restaurant was algae. After the sunset it was a nice touch when they lit up the round one and bubbled the water.
We're not much for drinking anymore but their wine cellar looked pretty impressive. I think that may be the big attraction....an extensive wine list. Catch a little buzz, soak in the wonderful beach side ambiance listening to the crash of the waves and convince yourself that a place with this gorgeous setting, good wine, and expensive menu must be delicious.
We reserved two days before so seating was no problem for us. There were two couples (not together) that didn't have reservations. They were made to wait more than five minutes even though there wasn't anybody else waiting and there were plenty of open tables. Then they were put in the back next to the skeeter pond. We left long after they finished and were gone and there were still plenty of nice, unreserved, open tables closer to the beach and away from all the grill smoke. Tables that never had anybody at them. That kind of hoity-toity attitude about reservations really gets my goat. What's the point? Trying to prove you're classy and too popular by treating non reservations as second class. When there's plenty of open non reserved tables?
I don't know, so many people think this is the best thing ever but we were not impressed. Maybe we'll try it again if we're ever back there but next time we'll have a couple of bottles of wine first.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Swadlincote, United Kingdom
“nice atmosphere lousy food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

well this place was built up as the place to be on sunday afternoon, obviously not the sunday i was there...2 bbq jerk chicken were ordered and it was slammed down in front of us as 2 small peces of chicken on cold plates as is no garnish nothing...kfc would have looked better...a huge disappointment, will not return

Visited February 2013
Arkansas
“Great way to spend a Sunday afternoon”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We went for the Sunday BBQ and were not disappointed. Aquarium is a beautiful, but relaxed atmosphere. We loved the live music. The BBQ all seemed unnecessarily greasy, but it was very flavorful. The salad bar was great. Their drink menu is excellent. The service wasn't the best or worst in Grenada.

Visited February 2013
Bridgetown, Barbados
“Veoma Ali enjoyed the food!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

The food is exceptional. If you have a liking for lobster, this is the place to order it! Don't eat too big of a starter, since the lobster can easily serve two people! The soups are in my opinion, the best of all the restaurants I have tried in Grenada - spicy but not overwhelmingly so, and tantalizes your tastebuds!

Visited March 2012
New York City, New York
“Spotty but good!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We had our best meal at the Aquarium and our worst meal (service) at the Aquarium.

First things first, Grenada isn't the foodie capital of the Caribbean. Please note my review of the Beach House restaurant. I live in NY so I have definitely have had some good meals. I have also been to some of the top islands/restaurants in the Caribbean and Grenada would fall at the bottom of the list- and, its ok because it was one of my favorite islands and its not touristy... YET. Its like Barbados was 8 years ago. Back to my review. We ended up having dinner here which worked out since we were staying at Maca Bana. The hotel is literally 2 mins from the airport and about 15 mins from Grand Anse and 25 from St. Georges. The first night we went, there was a regular menu. The service wasn't bad but we never had one specific waitress/waiter. It was always different people asking us if everything was ok, or to order drinks, etc. I thought it was strange but it worked. We shared the Bruschetta as an app. It was very good. I had the curried lambie (the meal I tried to get at Beach House the night before) and my husband had the lobster. Both meals were great. Being a crazy dessert person, I read on TA about the "Death by Chocolate" cake. It was fabulous. Probably one of the best desserts I ever had. I also thought the prices were reasonable. One app, 6 beers, 2 mains and one dessert was $80 US. I thought that was ok. We gave the car back so we decided to do the BBQ at The Aquarium. Not sure when the live music was supposed to start but it started around 3:45pm and ended between 6-7pm. The menu was simplistic- different cuts of meat, fish, sausages, chicken- on the grill. Then, you had a choice of sides that were a la carte- fries, sweet potato fries, mashed potato, potato wedgies etc. We were sitting on the beach in the am so decided on the BBQ lunch while lounging. I ended up going for the salad bar which was about $12 US- it was a bargain- nachos w/salsa, egg salad, potato salad, green salad, a bean salad, an artichoke salad and a fruit salad. What was funny was to have it on the side was $19 EC but as a meal $26EC. I felt that one was priced to high or too low. My husband had the jerked chicken w/fried. He liked it- he said it wasnt dry. It was a decent inexpensive meal- $40 US. KEEP IN MIND- tip is NOT INCLUDED in the BBQ. The service was the same as dinner the night before- not bad- diff people serving/helping us. Since we still didn't have the car, we decided to do the BBQ again. Normally, I wouldn't have gone back but it was Sunday night and we were worried nothing would be open or places would be dead. We didnt want to risk spending $30 US on a cab somewhere. This time, the meal was chaos. Same menu as lunch, however, there were way less staff on hand and everything was a free for all. Believe it or not, I had the salad bar as a meal again. I liked it even though the choices were less than in the afternoon. I was worried some of the stuff would be sitting there, however, I did see the stuff changed often. My husband had the strip steak- it was peppery but he liked it. The food was good but the service was horrific. I understand island time and know it takes twice as long to get things- which is fine, especially on vacation but we asked for the check 4 times to 4 different people. The icing was when they cleared our table, a waitress asked us if we were ready to order. There were no place settings- had to steal forks and knives from a table out of the way. I would definitely go back to The Aquarium restaurant and Maca Bana! AND I would definitely go here over Beach House (except on BBQ Sunday).

• Visited February 2013