“Absolutely terrible trip, abuse to horses witnessed” 1 of 5 stars

Type: Waterfalls
Attraction Details
London, United Kingdom
22 attraction reviews
“Absolutely terrible trip, abuse to horses witnessed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Feels like total rip off. the guide will nag you for tip until the end of your trip. I was expecting gentle, relaxing ride, which turned out to be a horror. The guise was constantly whipping the horse and hitting its face in order to make him go. the animal struggled on the muddy and stony road up and down the hill, which was really slippery. I was afraid for my own health and safety as well as horses legs. I told the guise to stop harassing this animal, but he didnt care. I told him i wanted off the horse, but he didnt let me either. The road was too bumpy and not pleasant at all. It was long as well. Horse was really tired and started heavily breathing.
We had very little time to explore the waterfall. They did not show us the smaller one, neither took us on the advertised path, where you can enjoy panoramic view from the hill onto waterfall.
I complained to our tour organisations, but they said there is nothing they can do about the horse abuse, even though they have tried in the past.
The only way we can stop it, is by not going on this tour or not taking the horse ride. Dominicans can then build proper path to the waterfalls rather than abusing the poor animals.

• Polish first
Keswick, United Kingdom
“Animal cruelty and abuse at it's highest”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

We decided to go to El Limon upon reviews. My worst nightmare came alive when I saw the poor horses being loaded with big, heavy people, the horses sruggles, some were old and thin, looked weak.
I cannot stop hating myself for not refusing to go when I saw them, but I figured the ride would be short and they'd be okay. It was totally WRONG!!!!!!!!. In addition to the horses being old and abused, the terrain up the mountain consisted of slippery, jagged edged rocks and 15 inch deep mud after tropical torrential rain.The inclines are up to 60 degrees. The horses struggle, their legs were slipping and the human guides continually whip the horses behinds to get them to continue on the treacherous terrain - both up and down. It was horrible. We were afraid for the horses to break their legs and also for us to fall off. One guy actually has fallen, but luckily, he didnt break anything. I begs my guide to let me walk, but he constantly refused as he thought, he would not get a tip.
It was beautiful area and I would have preferred to walk, even in the mud. I could not see much around, because I was constantly getting ready for a fall. The guise was speaking ok English and constantly complained all the way, how life is bad here, hat could he do with some money, he tried to be very helpful, which was so obvious, he was working on his tip. Unfortunately for him, the company who brought us to the trip, gave us money for his tip and told us not to bring any more with us, so the guide got only 150 dominican pessos. He obviously was not pleased. I complained to my tour company about this issue, they told me, that the guides put up the show to tourists, that they get salary and tips and that I should not worry about them.
I would not go on this tour ever again, unless I can only walk and spend more time in tis beautiful area. We were first on the spot, but they have us maybe an hour to enjoy it and it was not enough.Also If you have any feelings for animals, please do not go on this tour.

“great area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

walking to the waterfall is better than going with the horses.......than you know what you are doing and swimming in the water of the fall is much more exiting than horseback riding. this is the real adventure......

Visited November 2012
Sosua
“Horrible greeting”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Don't get me wrong, beautiful waterfall, but as soon as we showed up it was a constant try to rip you off, we came in our own car and they directly start trying to grab insane money out of you, and as soon as you have sorted out a price (less than half of what they started with which was still expensive) to rent the horses. Then the guides did nothing but complain on how hard their lives are and that they only survive on tips, I live here in this country, I've heard the same tricks many times but here it was to an extreme. I have no issues paying tips, I always do but i do NOT want to hear begging from someone working when your there to enjoy a day. And at the end of the trip when we actually paid them the tip they started a big fight about that it was too little. Been there done that will never return nor recommend.
The actual entrance fee is 50 pesos per person

Beautiful place thats the only reason it gets any stars at all, but what a horrible set up.

Ebbw Vale, United Kingdom
“great day out”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Great ride 8n the horses. Wouldnt recomend if you have mobility or heart problems as lots of steps, fab to see the locals jumping in. Tip the man that leads you as they dont get paid by the company, their wage is your tip