“very pretty” 4 of 5 stars

New York City, New York
12 attraction reviews
“very pretty”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

let start by saying the place is pretty getting there is and adventure with the horse riding the waterfall is very impressing nice spot if you like to explore nature.

• Polish first
Kotka, Finland
7 attraction reviews
“Nice waterfall but bad arrangements”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Our tour guide never mentioned that the horse guides didn't get paid. It was our second last day in the country so we didn't have much pesos left so we ended up giving them very small tip. I felt so bad for them.

Our horses didn't look unhealthy or skinny and the guides didn't whip them. The horses walked incredibly well on the muddy path with huge rocks. The boys were really nice. They waited for us when we swam underneath the waterfall and hold our bags and clothes.

Nobody warned that the waterfall was that far! Some old people who didn't want to ride horses, went walking. I'm young but I don't know if I could have walked all the way down and up. I had a flue and also allergy of horses so my breathing wasn't very good at the moment.

Oakville, Canada
3 attraction reviews
“wonderful place to visit.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

it is an adventure to get there you must go by horses due to the muddy roads and steep hills . the water it is very refreshing to swim in it. must see this place highly recomended it. I loved it.

new york
7 attraction reviews
“Go with Santi - Don't promote child labor!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

We went with a tour organized by Santi (who also runs restaurant in El Limon) and it was great and very good value ($25 p/p).

You go in a small private group and Santi uses a track that goes up the mountain (many other operators use an easier track that ends up behind the falls) with beautiful views and a nice 20 minute hike down to the falls. Take water shoes for swimming. Santi uses proper well-cared for horses and proper adult guides. You can also easily hike el Limon but on horseback is more comfortable (especially in wet conditions).

On your way to Santi's place do not stop or talk to anyone!! Just ignore any and all comments/questions as the restaurant is impossible to miss. Touts are all over the place.

Also - Many operators use children (some as young as 8) to lead there horses. This is illegal under DR law, a violation of these children's rights (they are legally supposed to be in school), and very dangerous (imagine 600 pounds of horse pushing into a tiny kid). Some experts consider this an extreme form of child labor. There are many idle/unemployed 18+ in El Limon so there is no excuse! When booking a tour make sure you ask for no children to be used - and refuse the tour if they don't comply.

Jackson Heights, New York, United States
11 attraction reviews
“Amazing Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

for all those who are fans of the wilderness and outdoors, I highly recommend you take this trip. Its very easy to get to by car as you can see many signs on the streets that direct you to El Limon. Ounce you arrive around the town of El Limon, you will probably get approached by many guys on motorcycles telling you to follow them as they will take you to El Salto de Limon. Basically there is a long street with a few restaurants on the roadside that offer horseback rides to El Salto de Limon. Each one of these restaurants send these guys out on bikes to try to pick up customers from the street, they can tell right away who the tourists are. Honestly, it just a matter of who gives you the best price. I went with a restaurant which I believe is called La Gran Manzana. You can't miss it since it has a sign of a big red apple. They charged me $500 pesos and I could stay for as long as I wanted. Parked my car right out front of the restaurant where it can easily be seen. Ounce on the horse, be prepared for one bumpy ride! A rough but fun horse ride awaits you. The actual waterfall is breathe taking and I would definitely do it again. Also, there is a $50 peso entrance fee for the waterfall since its a national park.

Visited December 2012