Travelled to Samana Jan 25/09 to Feb 1/09. I book the vacation through Bel Air on the internet. I have used them on several occassions with comlete satisfaction.
I have travelled to Dominican on several occassions all of which have been to Punta Cana and it's great beach. This time I tought I would shake it up and found this gem located in Samana. Samana is a lesser known resort area due to the lack of easy access from the air. A traveller had to endure a 4 to 5 hour bus trip from Puerto Plata until they build a new airport in 2007 now the trip takes a more reasonable 30- 40 minutes to Samana.
The resort Gran Bahia Principe Cayacoa is located a mere 5-10 minute walk from town built on a rockey outcrop with a small beach on either side of the resort. There is a shuttle that travels into town every hour that stops at Pueblo Principe, which is a shopping centre/outdoor theater complex owned and operated by the hotel chain. Some of the bigger shows are held there.
First impression of the resort was very well appointed, polished stone everywhere and well kept. The staff at check in were very friendly and helpful. I had requested a king size bed when I booked and found two doubles. After a bit of a run around I used my tour rep to speak on my behalf and I got one of best rooms in the place. The view was outstanding.
The rooms are well done and spacious, both rooms had great views and the maids did great job.
The food was excellent, good variety at the buffet and the ala carte, Seafood, Italian and Gourmet top notch. The staff were more than happy to change any of the meals to suit ones taste.
The bars were great the lobby bar was the best staffed and the bartenders were tops. The swimup bar at times was a little busy for the one bartender. The two beach bars were fine also. The disco bar was also busy at start time just before a show but that is normal at all resorts. Now there was another section of the resort that had a couple of pools and a bar that was not staffed. The people over there were not to happy, it was a nice quiet spot over there a bartender wouild have made it a great spot.
The beach is small but was nice, not for the beach walkers that go to Punta Cana. Now there is another beach over on the island that requires a shuttle $25 per person charge. Just don't go when the cruise ships come in if you don't like allot of people. A word of warning the plastic beach chairs on the island are FREE the other beach chairs with straps on them cost you to use them.
This was one of the nicest resorts I have stayed at. You won't be disappointed!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services Main pool with Jacuzzi surrounded by a sun terrace 3 beachside hydromassage tubs Loungers, sun umbrellas and towel service BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Water activity centre WiFi access in the lobby (1h per day free of charge) Wedding gazebo Buffet-style main restaurant and 3 speciality restaurants 4 Bars Cocktail Lounge Chill Out zone 1 snack bar Sports facilities: gym Pueblo Principe: Shopping and Leisure Mall with local craft stores, live music, shows, stores, bars and disco. Rooms 295 rooms including 4 types: Standard, Standard with Sea View, Superior Junior Suite and Club Golden Junior Suite. Junior Suites are larger than Standard rooms. Room facilities: King size bed or 2 full size beds Fully-equipped bathroom with hydromassage bath tub, hair dryer and magnifying mirror. Air conditioning Ceiling fan Telephone Satellite TV Coffee-making facilities Mini-bar Safe (additional charge) Terrace WiFi (additional charge) Junior Suite: sitting area, sofa-bed and ironing set Club Golden Junior Suites (See page 18 Club Golden, Club Hacienda) Children Bahia Scouts The hotel is perfect for families, offering a range of facilities tailored especially for children, including the following: Park Mini Club for children aged 4 to 12 Evening Mini Disco Babysitting service (additional charge) Other services Medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Bus stop opposite the hotel Auditorium for corporate meetings Panoramic lifts Personalised menus (for celiacs, diabetics, etc.) Available on request Specialised service for organising weddings, incentive trips, events and anniversaries. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Hotels.com so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe Cayacoa Hotel
- Gran Bahia Principe Cayacoa Samana