“Excellent in everyway” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa

You added Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa to your Saves list
Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Loma Puerto Escondido S/N | PO Box 32000, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel virtual tour
Special Offer
Special Summer Sales
Ranked #12 of 58 Hotels in Samana Province
Certificate of Excellence 2014
York, United Kingdom
“Excellent in everyway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

Just returned from a fantastic 2 week break at this hotel, my girlfriend and I had the most amazing time. The setting and scenery is beautiful and immediately gets you into the mood for a relaxing enjoyable break. We were allocated a beach villa which was a nice surprise, there were 2 pools available and a bar which was more than adequate for the amount of people in the area. I notice a previous review that refers to these rooms as the '2000's rooms' and states that the need to take the shuttle everywhere. Firstly, the hill to the main building was not the mountain it has been described as, admittedly I did on occasion get the shuttle but that was mainly due to the laid back mood this beautiful place had transported me to rather than fear of heart attack!! Just to note, the shuttle bus literally arrives 2 minutes after asking the security guy to radio for it......hardly a significant inconvenience (if at all). The beach villas are great and the relaxed atmosphere around the pools proved the perfect place to enjoy a drink together and chat with other guests depending on your mood.
How anyone can complain about being located here is beyond me and we found that it was in fact the best place to be.
The staff throughout were very attentive and friendly, they really made everyone feel welcome and we were amazed at how hard everyone works, from the guy making omelettes at breakfast, to the gardeners and bar staff.
All in all we absolutely loved this hotel and the area, the 3 and a half hour transfer was a bit of a killer but well worth it! It came as no surprise to me to hear that a lot of people we spoke to had been to this hotel once or twice previously and had returned due to the high standards throughout.

Room Tip: Beach villas were quiet, if you want games etc the main building is the best place for you
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
División Cuarto... B, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
Dear Richard,

First of all thank you for chosing us as your holiday destination. We really appreciate you taking the time to post some valuable comments about your stay with us.

Second, we are so happy that you have enjoyed all our views,services and facilities during your stay in our hotel. This definitely strengthens our philosophy of seeking the highest level of service excellence, thanks to an arduous team’s work and the devotion and commitment of each member of our staff.

We really hope to consider coming back to Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Samana.

Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (839)
  • Polish first
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

This hotel is lovely it's worth the 3hour bus journey there are a lot of steps only if you go down to the quiet pool or you can catch a buggy all staff are friendly and happy food was lovely all rooms have a view my husband was taken ill two days after we arrived and reception were fantastic and the doctors. We stayed 21st Jan 2014 for 2 weeks.

Dear Kay,

We would like to thank you for taking your valued time to share your experience in our beautiful Hotel.

Also, we appreciate your compliments to our staff, as it is due to their effort and dedication that we are able to accomplish our goal - the total satisfaction of our guest.

We look forward to welcome you soon at Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Samana

Burlington, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

Firstly, let me point out that this is a late review. We were here in March of 2013, but are going back again this March (2014) so I checked a few reviews to see if anything had changed. I meant to write a review then, but life got in the way and I forgot, so here goes.

Went as a group of 5, my wife and I, my friend and his wife, and his brother. We are all between the ages of 24 and 30, just so you know where the review is coming from.
Let me break things down

Staff - Always friendly and smiling. Learn a few words of Spanish before you go, nothing major, just "hello", "please" and "thank you" will get you far. Most of the staff have a solid understanding of English, but don't forget you are in their country and showing that you're trying is greatly appreciated.

Rooms - My wife and I stayed in a Junior Suite and it was lovely. Amazing view of the bay and very large. The bathrooms have low water pressure, we didn't mind, but I've seen a few negative comments about it. The biggest issue was no matter what you did, water always escaped from the shower so the floor was always wet, we just put a towel down before a shower and that more or less worked. Safe worked great and the area we were in was quiet.

Resort - Clean, very clean, there are always staff cleaning or gardening or whatever. The resort is built on a cliff...hill...on the water...either way, there are a lot of stairs. If you have mobility issues, there will be areas that are difficult or impossible to get to. If you can handle some stairs, you'll be fine. There's free wifi in the lobby which can be handy. The main bar is great and the terrace outside is lovely. Be aware that most of the resort shuts down around 11pm, and the only bar is at the "Disco" across from the main building. This may have changed since March 2013, but that's what it was then. We weren't there to party, just to relax, so this was not a huge issue, but for anyone looking to party hard, maybe look elsewhere.

Food - The food was good, I never had anything bad the entire time. The buffet is constantly good, I think there were a few things I passed over, but for the most part, everything was tasty. The "A La Cartes" were good, although my memory is a bit fuzzy as to what we ate and where.

Beaches - There are 2 beaches, one big, one small. The big beach was nice, lots of loungers, great food, all around a good time. The small beach was where we spent the majority of our time. There were trees there for shade, and not many people hung out there as it's "not as nice" as the larger beach. We liked that it was quiet and once you went out a bit farther in the water, the snorkling was pretty solid.

I think that covers everything for the resort, but here are some added things that don't relate directly to the resort that we did.

Whale Watching - I should have taken a bigger pill...I got seasick, and badly. We went through Whale Samana (not booked through the resort), and by all accounts, it was a good trip, though I don't think I looked up long enough to notice, I'm just going from what I was told.

Zip Lining - We went with "Walk The Plank" (booked through the resort) and it was amazing. I hate heights and was not entirely in favour of this excursion. After about the 4th or 5th line, I was having a great time, but that first jump...no. After the Zip Lining, we went to a waterfall that was beautiful and peaceful. Then took a small tour of the area. We ended up at a beach area that was beautiful, but the waves were rather rough. The trip took at least half of the day, but was more than worth it.

Room Tip: Had a Junior Suite on the South side overlooking the bay. It was quiet, the view was great, and we...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
División Cuarto... B, Public Relations Manager at Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Dear Dave,

We are very pleased to read that you enjoyed your holidays. We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

It was our pleasure to serve you and we cannot wait to serve you again!.We look forward to welcoming you in Grand Bahia Prícipe Cayacoa in March again.

Orillia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

Returned home to Canada two days ago. Suffering acute withdrawal from Cayacoa! What a beautiful place, beautiful setting, beautiful team of staff. We absolutely loved our view over the ocean, and the stairs were no issue because of the excellent shuttle service which ran all day and all evening. The beaches were more than adequate, the animation staff and bartendening staff were all so fun and helpful, and most amazingly, the food service was absolutely superb! The Gourmet restaurant was incredible! The Junior Suite room with balcony was perfect and spotless, every day. We can't wait to return!!!!

Dear Rick,

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent stay in our Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa. We really appreciate that you took the time to post your feedback and we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel.

It is for guests like you who send us some nice, inspiring words after their holiday, that our personal finds every day the motivation and energy to keep on the good work. We are very happy that you appreciated the service and personal attention of the employees and we hope we can repeat this wonderful experience in the near future.

Timmins, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

We stayed here January 20-27, 2014. It was excellent but I found that there were a lot of much older people staying here, thus by 11pm everything was very quiet. It was exactly what we were looking for but I didn't find there were many other people there who were in their late twenties.
They played 50-60's music each night in the lobby and then everyone would head to the Disco for the evening shows but everyone would head back to their rooms after the show, the Disco was empty every night. If you're looking to party this may not be the best place for that.
We stayed in the Golden Suites offered by Air Transat, they were amazing, absolutely no complaints, we were in #32 building. There was a small private beach in front of our rooms as well as the snack bar/bar and a jacuzzi tub pool. (It has cool water like a regular pool, not hot.)
Attached to the snack bar was the a la carte Mediterranean restaurant.
We didn't go in the regular pool, it was on the smaller side but looked very nice and was quite busy each day. We also didn't go to the smaller beach near the Golden Suites, it wasn't as nice as the main (public) beach was and there were very few people swimming in it each day. They did have lawn chairs set up there tho and it would be a very quiet place to law down and sun tan.
The main beach was great! They have tons of chairs and even though it's only rated a 2 it was still very nice. There were some small rocks but we just wore our water shoes when we went in. We went almost everyday. One the day we were leaving it had rained quite a bit the day before and the beach did look a little yucky - probably because everything was messed up with the rain and waves.
The buffet was fantastic - I'm fussy so I didn't try everything but it was all very good. We had 4 a la carte dinners and we prefered the Italian. I recommend the Chicken Parm. The first time I had a pasta dish and it was bland (but still good) but my husband ate the Chicken Parm so the next time we went we both had it.
The Gourmet Restaurant was okay, I enjoyed the surf and turf and my husbad had the cod, it was quite salty though.
The Mediterranean was my least liked restaurant, I don't recall what I had but I didn't really didn't like it. My husband really enjoyed his creme brule dessert there though! As I said, I am fussy so don't put too much thought into my meal reviews. These a la cartes are trying to be VERY fancy, and thats not exactly my style... I usually didn't even know what I was ordering!
The bars were all great, although all served drinks with slightly different ingredients. We enjoyed the lobby bar each evening and Manuel is amazing there. You can also go see him at 10am for a "special coffee" and they're excellent. I think it was a cappuchino with dominican bailey's in it.
There are literally hundreds of stairs at this resort, by day 2 ours legs were killing us but it got better after that. They do have a shuttle that will pick you up from the Golden Suites and bring you up to the lobby but we usually walked it. If you are in the Golden Suites there are stairs to get everywhere! If you're in the main hotel it wouldn't be as bad. Only a few steps to the pool and the Gourmet Restaurant but there are several steps to get to the Mediterranean one, or else you would have to take the shuttle down. We didn't mind the exercise at all but this is not the place for people who have trouble with steps.
There are two guys who walk around with either an iguana, bird or monkey and offer to take photos of you, they didn't have the money when I was there or I would have done it.
You do get bugged by the Prestiege Club guys, they're in the lobby - Oliver is very, very nice and we got free (cheap cheap!) water watches and free t-shirts with our photos on them as well as a bag with two hats for going to a 1 hour presentation. It really wasn't that bad, we didn't buy any of the packages they offered but enjoyed our free stuff!
The "Cheap" store near the gate as you enter the resort has decent priced souvenirs, relatively close to the same prices (and sometimes cheaper) as in town.
All of the stores in town were crazy! The further you go away from the tourist area the cheaper the prices are of course. The guys closest to the downtown are the most expensive. There are NO prices listed on anything so you have to bargain with them. Be careful and don't be scared to say NO and put stuff back if their prices are crazy, we had to in one shop, he refused to tell us the prices and then it was $90 for a few little things, we put some back.
Beware of the people near the pool selling stuff (paintings etc), my husband got scammed and purchased a nice painting only to find out he could have paid about $40.00 in town instead of $80.00 on the resort. Those guys were only there one day during the week we were there.
The "Scuba" guys on the resort who run the shack where you can borrow the kayaks, snorkle gear etc. will offer you various outings and they're cheaper than the recommended ones through your travel agency. We did a quick trip to the reef near Cayo Laventado to do an hour or more of snorkelling and then spent an hour on the island. The beach was absolutely amazing and I highly recommend doing this. There were only four of us and our boat guide did not speak english but he was wonderful. Unfortunately my husband was sick by the time we reached the reef because there were large waves that day and we were in a small boat, so the guide got in the water with me and snorkelled along side of me as I'm not a very good swimmer. His name was Christian. He then dropped us on the Island for an hour and he waited near the dock in the boat for us. We paid $30/person for this 3 hour excursion. The Scuba guys offer several different excursions. The whales were not in Samana yet when we were there, they were just starting to come in so if you're going now they should be there!!
We did another excursion that I booked before we left Canada through Tauro Tours. It was an ATV excursion to Playa Rincon. That was absolutely fantasic!! I highly recommend it to everyone!! They say wear long pants and close toe shoes but I do not recommend that at all. Wear the shorts and sandals - you WILL get dirty. My husband and I both went on the ATV together and we had a blast! I booked online before leaving but only paid when he picked us up. Initially we were supposed to go on Saturday but it was raining so I emailed him and he changed it to Sunday afternoon for us, we were the ONLY ones on Sunday afternoon because he was booked full in the morning with cruise ships and people from the Saturday before. It was still great though and for $100 it's SO worth it! Just the beach alone was amazing.
Don't be scared to go to town, the shuttle goes every hour, it's not scary or anything in town it's very nice and there are lots of police out and about. We did end up with a tour guide .. he kinda followed us a bit showing us stuff so finally I asked how much to take us and show us around, he said we could pay him whatever we thought he was worth when we got back. His name was Alex and he was amazing, brought us through the market, helped me exchange american $ for peso's so I could buy cheap cigarettes, they were about $26.00/carton at the Supermarket (but they only take pesos). We ended up giving him about $25-30 for his tour but we were out there for about 2.5 hours! I don't know what you're supposed to pay them but I thought it was worth that much. He even carried our bags for us when we bought souvenirs.
Be sure to walk the "Bridge to nowhere" it was a nice walk.
Overall it was a wonderful, very relaxing vacation and I do recommend it if you're looking for someplace quiet. I don't think I would do two weeks here though as it might get a little boring after one week.

Room Tip: Golden Suite buildings 31 & 32 have better views than 33.
Dear Ange,

Thank you so much for taking your time to write this nice and detailed review about our hotel!

We really appreciate your comments because we want to be better everyday and work to satisfy our guest needs and we hare so happy, because we did it with you.

We hope to welcome you again to Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels for your holidays in the Dominican Republic.

Oakville, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

Recently returned from a one week stay at this resort with my wife and I can honestly say it was one of if not the best resort vacations we have ever had. The hotel is relatively small compared to the usual mega resorts (I believe about 295 rooms) so you don't feel like you're somewhat insignificant within it. The accomodations were excellent, our room in the villages section had a spectacular view and it was refreshing to stay in a resort surrounded by lush tropical vegetation and important to us, to be within easy walking distance of the town of Samana. We prefer to get out of the resort and experience the country we're visiting and Cayacoa allows you to do just that. I can't comment on our stay without saying that the staff at this resort are absolutely the best we have ever encountered. Their friendliness and attentiveness to detail and the needs and wants of the guest were exceptional. From the maids to the bartenders to the groundskeepers and the buffet staff, all were the best we have experienced. The buffet restaurant probably had the best food of any all inclusive resort we have stayed at and as far as the specialty restaurants, of the 3 on site, the only one we didn't care for was Dolce Vita, the Italian restaurant where everything tasted way too salty (that of course is entirely subjective). I can't finish the review without commenting on a particular quirk at this resort. To get to the beach, you take a short stroll across a causeway to an elevator that takes you about 100' down to the beach. Personally, we loved it. Also, we loved that there was never an issue with shortages for towel exchanges which I have frequently experienced at other mega luxury resorts and there was always beach lounges available so that you don't have to get up insanely early to throw a towel over one to ensure you get one. The pool lounges fill up early we noted but as we spent most of our time by the beach, it wasn't an issue for us. If not for my desire to constantly try new venues, I would come back here in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: The most important advice I can give you is that if you do NOT want to walk a lot within the resort...
Dear Stanley,

First of all we would like to thank you for your nice comments about the Hotel, services, facilities and staff. We really appreciate that because we want to be better everyday and work to satisfy our guest needs and we hare so happy, because we did it with you.

ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

Everything was not Excellent! Not bad, however, not great!
I will never return to this resort.

It is not terrible, however, I left here with mixed feelings. :

Good-Room keys and information handed out on the bus prior to arrival!

Bad--yucky ocean view room- first impression is we received an upgraded room.
Not the case-felt we were given the WORST section of the resort in the end.
Quiet, however, we were placed in the 2000 block-the farthest area from the main building,
Had to take a cart always!! Tried to hike the mountain, however, if you want a heart attack,
this is the place to have one quickly!!

Good- Rooms clean, whole resort is clean!
Bad- Beds are hard as concrete, and the room is darker than a cave!

Good- Quiet adults only resort-time goes by SLOWLY!
Bad- BORING! Even the lively pool is quiet!

Good- Lots of loungers! We were able to get loungers always! (needed 4 together)
Bad- No SHADE! Had a huge problem with shade. Seems they only have about 4
sun umbrella's around the main pool and they were always taken.

Good- Main pool is actually bigger than it appears in pictures.
Bad-The beach is small, not inviting whatsoever! Would not even consider putting my feet in it!

Bad-Food is not horrible, however, not great. It is the same old, same old, basically every
day in the same spot. I have never been to a resort where the food in the buffet has been
depressing, however, I would have to say this resort, was a lunch bag let down always!
Also, never made it to breakfast, so it may have been better. Limited times for the buffet, although the snack bar is open longer, however, you have to hike to get there, and then hike back!
Found that the times and places to snack or eat were very limited, even though it was a small
resort.

Good- the alacarte restaurants were a tad bit better, just be careful what you order!

Good-The staff were fabulous, can't say that they were a dissapointment at all! Always kind
and friendly!

Bad-The drinks of the day! YUCKY! Frosty drinks at the main pool were not available as the
"blender" did not work!

Good- Wine and beer seemed to be better at this resort than others I have been to!

Overall, average resort. I do believe that staying in the main building would be the best option.
I did feel safe at this resort, however, I would never consider returning.

Room Tip: Stay in the main building, do not stay in the 2000 block, it is the farthest away from EVERYTHING!!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
División Cuarto... B, Public Relations Manager at Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for highlight our good points as Hotel.

Please let me inform you that your observations have been treated with great interest and we sincerely regret any other inconvenient you experienced in your holiday.

We hope you will be willing to give us the opportunity to welcome you once again in any of our Resorts.

Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa? Share your experiences!