“It felt like going home” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa

You added Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa to your Saves list
Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Loma Puerto Escondido S/N | PO Box 32000, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #13 of 57 Hotels in Samana Province
EPSOM
“It felt like going home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

This was my second visit to this beautiful hotel i was so pleased to be back as i walked through the door lots of the staff recognised me & there was loads of hugs and kisses all round
last year i travelled on my own this year i went with my best friend we checked in went to room to find we was on 3rd floor plus had double bed as my friend is still recovering from heart valve replacement the stairs in the heat isn't good plus we needed twin beds so the buggy man took us straight back to reception he simply clicked on screen gave us new room straight away even i was amazed at how fast it was sorted
the whole of this result is kept to a very high standard & is spotless there isn't many places you go where you actually breath in as you walk past the toilets as they smell so nice
the buffet restaurant has lots of different choices & is very good quality big well done to villa jaun who made sure everything was good and always very pleasant we ate at all 3 restaurants they was all very nice
i was ill will throat infection big thanks to armando in lobby bar he made me a nice hot lemon drink which really helped he is such a genuine lovely man always checking we was OK
The resort is so so pretty i think it has become my favorite place iv been but what really makes this place is the staff who are not just staff but become your friends while you are there big thanks to cindry , jaun javier , lenny , fernando , carolyn , on animation team you made my hols also big thanks all in lobby bar and the lovley lady at beach bar who's name i'm afraid i cant remember sy something she made me a drink for upset tummy i love all these guys and spent my last day crying as i didnt want to leave oh i nearly forgot miguel first choice rep brilliant always had time for a chat and hello as went past
bye the way give disco a chance it can be a great night in there if enough go i didnt reach my bed until at least 2am every night even though my friend went early i felt safe enough walking back to villas on my own
miss all you guys and hotel so much already as much as i liked to visit different places i can see me ending back there again nxt year

Room Tip: villas are quite a bit bigger and though away from hotel you have buggy
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa, responded to this review, July 15, 2012
Dear TripAdvisor member:
We greatly appreciate your comments.
Our goal is to achieve maximum satisfaction of our customers. We are glad to see that with you we've got.
We look forward to welcoming you again and we invite you to write us to info.cayacoa@bahia-principe.com before your next visit, we will be waiting with great joy.
Greetings from Samana
Albis Corredor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (746)
  • Polish first
london, ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

My daughter and grandaughter 21 months old stayed at this resort for one week from June 2-9th and had a fabulous time and cried when we had to leave. We went with Westjet Vacations out of Toronto leaving at 10 in the morning and arrived at 2:20 in the afternoon. Don't expect too much food on Westjet but the service was friendly and pleasant. Arrived in Samana to what seemed like a blowtorch on your body, very hot. Customs went quickly and we received our baggage immediately and were shown to our buses outside. The drive to the resort took 45 mins. the bus was very fast a little crazy but the scenery was so gorgeous on the way. Upon arrival we were amazed at the beauty of the hotel and the outstanding scenery. We were also greeted with a nice cold cocktail. Check in was pretty quick some papers to fill out and then off to our beautiful room. We had a seaview room (which i would highly recommend) view of the ocean and all the trees and vegetation. If you chose not to get a seaview room you will likely get a view of the terrace or Samana Bay, i don't think there is a bad view in the whole of the hotel, amazing views.

I have travelled to many places, Cuba and Panama and this was by far the most beautiful resort i have been to. Everything was marble and dark wood, the staff were always cleaning and it is very luxurious. The food was outstanding, especially in the buffet restaurant, you could never go hungry, always fresh fruit, frest breads, so much food to choose from. The only complaint was in the buffet restaurant they often kept the windows closed and it could be very hot, they should open them up cause there was always a breeze. We spent most of our time at the main pool, always lots of activities going on and the animation team were awesome. Fernando and Adriana, lovely, very friendly and always trying to get you involved. The staff treated my granddaughter like she was royalty always showing her attention. We spent one morning at the whirlpools at the bottom of the hill and it was nice and quiet and had lunch in the little restaurant there. We had fantastic weather everyday, not a drop of rain the whole week we were there, which we were surprised at, just lucked out i guess. My daughter was actually hoping to see one tropical rain as this was her first visit to a resort in the carribean.

We took a boat ride to the island where the other Bahia Principe hotel lay to lay on their white beach and swim in the blue blue ocean, it was fantastic, had so much fun i think we paid $25.00 for four hours, the boat takes about 15 mins to get there, well worth it. The beach at Cayacoa is not the nicest beach, it was okay but the sand is brown and the water green so going to the island was a nice change.

I have nothing really to complain about with this resort, other than the beach and a few very minor incidents over the week, but you will get that anywhere. We loved it, the staff were fantastic, the weather was fantastic and the resort the most beautiful i have ever seen, i was sad to leave and definitely would return again. As a matter of fact i plan to return with my husband. I miss it and highly recommend it. To this end i just have one thing to say, book it, you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: seaview room
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dear TripAdvisor member:
On behalf of whole team of the Bahia Principe Cayacoa thank you for the comments on your recent stay with us. Your honest opinion can be a valuable reference for other customers who are thinking of staying here, which we thank you deeply.
We cordially invite you to write us to info.cayacoa@bahia-principe.com before your next visit, we will be waiting with great joy.
Torpoint, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

Let me start by saying that check the dates of the bad reviews you read. You'll find the dates are older and a lot has changed. My husband and I spent the last two weeks of June 2012 at Cayacoa, and I promise to tell it like it is and hopefully dispel some of those rotten reviews!

Maintenance / updating: The complex is really big and some whingers out there have complained of low maintenance. Use your brains people. The complex is so large that if the maintenance team started at one end it would take them 6 months to get to the other. The maintenance teams were out there every single day, painting, gardening and fixing. The 'bad' maintenance will be seen to. It just takes time.

The buffet is repetitive: May I respectfully suggest that you don't try and eat your way through every single dish at every single meal? Perhaps then you wouldn't find it 'repetitive'. 200 dishes (yes, I counted them) every meal time, gave us enough to choose from to last us more than two weeks! All prepared by smiling, hard working staff like Alfonso on the egg bar and served by 'smiley face' Brenda and others, for whom nothing was too much to ask. In the blazing heat, those people walked around in spotless longs, waist coasts and jackets pandering to every single guests demand as best they could! And if all else fails, book yourself into one of the a la carte restaurants, or all 3 if you like!

The animation is amateur: OK, so you probably won't find these youngsters in the West End of London, but you will find them slaving their little hearts out, till their muscles are seized and their feet are blistered, practising during the day, to keep everyone entertained at night. I have to wonder if the whingers could do any better? Leni, Juan, Hernando Weeks, Cindry, Adriyana and all of the other animation team work extremely long hours, creating games, helping with translation, playing with kids or just stopping for a kindly word with a lone holiday maker. The live shows we saw were Michael Jackson, Grease and Rio. And of course the aquarobics, darts, bowls, pool volley ball, spanish lessons and dance classes offers something for everyone. If you just lose your lousy attitude and get in the spirit of things and appreciate the back breaking work that goes into these things you will enjoy!

All in all, this is a hotel I can thoroughly recommend. In our fifties, my husband and I wanted a little bit of fun and activity, with an equal amount of peace and quiet and that's what we got, depending on where we went during the day. The poolbar/beach for company and brilliant service by Christian the barman, the jacuzzi pools for peace and quiet, and the far bottom pool outside room 2013 for complete solitude.

The staff work like dogs, and for those of you who have listed them as unfriendly, try putting up with drunks, whingers, moaners, demands and ridiculous complaints about the weather from holiday makers who think they are the only person needing assistance, and see how you feel after a long hot 11th working day in a row with no break. They made us feel very welcome, and in fact went so far as to spoil us rotten, fetching, carrying and cleaning. The sheets and towels were changed for clean every single, solitary day for goodness sake! Do you do this at home? Alexandria, our cleaner, saw me battling to remove braids from my hair alone, and stopped what she was doing to kindly help me! Damn sure that's not in her job spec! If I didn't like a certain drink, she'd change it or if I wanted more coffee, she saw that I got it! What more can anyone expect!?

I didn't even get off my rump to walk from my Junior Suite to the Hotel! A golf buggy was sent for us on our demand! Tell me that's not service.

Finally I have to say, the Privilege Club IS NOT TIME SHARE! It is unlimited, guaranteed use of certain privileges including bigger rooms at Bahia Principe chain world wide, at a much reduced rate plus some RCI weeks thrown in. And how do I know this? Because we bought some. If you don't want to listen, just say no. Tony and Oscar and Calex were professional and most helpful at all times and not once did we feel pressured. If it really bothers you, talk to Tony, the big boss and he will take the appropriate steps. Easy!

Admittedly, some of the public area are hot, but um......hullo.....it is the Caribbean! When the 40 degree temps got to us, we just retired to the icy cool of our room. Each night we slept well under a ceiling fan in air conditioned comfort.

Travelling abroad 3 times a year for as long as I care to remember, my husband and I are well travelled, including Europe, Africa and the Middle east and I can honestly say that value for money puts this hotel at the top.

In closing, for those who have not been happy, perhaps it would have been better if you paid the extra few thousand required and gone somewhere that you would have been happy. Based on the prices this hotel charges they do a fine job of providing a really lovely holiday at a really reasonable price! For those of you going, enjoy! It won't be difficult!

PS The poor remarks about a dirty beach? Rubbish! The staff are out there raking it up all the time, and picking up trash left by holiday makers too lazy to put their own trash in the bins provided! You don't even have to walk down to it, you travel in a lift! A fab view from up there might I say!

Dear TripAdvisor member:
We greatly appreciate your kind comments regarding your stay in June. It's always a pleasure to know that our guests have enjoyed staying at the Gran Bahia Principe Cayacoa, this makes our work worthwhile. We transmit your appreciation to our staff that certainly will celebrate their congratulations. We hope to welcome you soon.
Greetings from Samana
Lowestoft, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for two weeks with my parents and had a fantastic time, our room was lovely as had a goldon junior suite because we were upgraded to this hotel from san juan. Our fridge was toped up daily and rooms cleaned. The ala carte resturants are lovely especially the Gourmat. I loved the amation team especially Juan who made my holiday complete. I also liked Fernando who was also lovely and funny. The last day we were their juan and fernado where on holiday and it was so quiet and boring around the pool, as they kept everything going around the pool.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Bowie, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this Hotel for a week, it is a beautiful hotel, with a Beautiful view to the Bay and the swimming pool, It sits on top of a hill, and from mostly every area you will enjoy great views from the City of Samana , the bridge to nowhere and the Bay, the food was very good at the buffet, there are four specialties Restaurants, we were able to make reservations to 3 of the restaurants but only made it to the Italian and the Gourmet, the food was great except for one little incident with one of the waiters at the Italian Restaurant. It is a very quiet atmosphere, the small private beach is a little bit of walking to get to, if the elevator is not working which only happened one day for a few hours, there is also another beach called Cayo Levantao,is an Island closed by which they can get you by boat , it is a Beautiful beach, we really enjoyed this hotel. We will go back next year.

Room Tip: all rooms have views to some parts of the Samana Bay
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa, responded to this review, June 30, 2012
Dear TripAdvisor member:
We greatly appreciate your comments. Our goal is to achieve maximum satisfaction of our customers. We are glad to see you we get it.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Bahia Principe Cayacoa and thank you in person your comments!
Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

Wherever we travel on vacation we always try to stay at a Bahia Principe hotel and we have never had a bad experience. This resort was no exception, it was spotless, well maintained, beautiful gardens, good food, and friendly staff. The only complaint we had was that the elevator to the beach was out of order for several days and there were a lot of stairs down to the beach (even more coming back up). But after all the food and desserts we went thru our lazy butts needed the exercise anyway. We would definitely recommend this hotel to friends and would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa, responded to this review, June 29, 2012
Dear TripAdvisor member:
First, we thank you for choosing the Gran Bahia Principe Cayacoa to stay in Samana.
Also we thank you for taking the time to post your kind comments on Tripadvisor.com, since your opinion is a great help to us in our efforts to improve and achieve our main objective, which is the full satisfaction of our customers.
We put ourselves in your place and fully understand your comments about the days where our elevator was out of service, we regret having had to offer the harder option to go or return to the beach, but we work as quickly as we could to fix this incident.
We hope to have you back at our hotel. Please contact us again to info.cayacoa@bahia-principe.com to help you enjoy your next vacation with us,
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

I had a great time at this hotel: the food was good, activities were fun, no problems at all. The best part about it all was the staff though: Fernando, Adriana, Juan, Lieny and Yeison (part of the animation team, I believe) we're amazing! so friendly! Rosemarie who greeted us for dinner every night always made my day, trying to teach us spanish phrases. All of the staff were wonderful.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Dear TripAdvisor member:
First of all we hope you had a good trip back home and we are very grateful you have taken the time to write your impressions on us. The customer feedback help us improve and better our service. Our animation team will be very happy to see how their work and enthusiasm charm to one of our many guests!! Thank you for your valuable time and waiting to welcome you again soon in the hope that, as from today, your home of Samana.
Greetings,
Albis Corredor

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa? Share your experiences!