The whole vacation was amazing, the resort was beautiful and I would love to go back again soon. We stayed at the Gran Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado from April 11-18th, 2010. There were 19 people (18 adults & 1 child) in our group, and we were there for my husband’s sister’s wedding. I’ll break up the trip to try and cover everything:
We flew with Air Canada Vacations from Toronto. We had people from Fredericton, Moncton, Halifax, and Alberta all meet in Toronto to go down together. Our travel agent was Jennifer Reece with Trip Central and she was great, we had lots of options for rooms and travel, the flight was on time, we arrived mid-day on the Sunday, and had lots of time to get to the resort and still enjoy the day.
The bus trip was a little over an hour from the Samana airport, with a really long stop for people to buy beer and water along the way. The hotel front lobby is on the main land we got into 2 boats to take us to the island with the resort.
We were greeted by tons of hotel staff on the island, they were friendly, happy to see us, and brought us right in the orientation room and gave us cold drinks.
Most of our family members and friend stayed in villas 11, 12, & 13. They were all beautiful junior suite rooms with king beds and Jacuzzis on the patio. Us and another couple stayed in villas 9 & 8, these were Junior suite deluxe rooms, they were a little larger, with a sunken living room and large patio out the door to enjoy quiet time looking at the ocean. The rooms were super clean, the bar fridges were always well stocked and the bathrooms were huge with another Jacuzzi tub, separate shower, toilet room with bedai.
There were 2 main pools (one quieter and one by the beach) and another Jacuzzi pool by villas 12 & 13. The pool were fun, but I was disappointed there was no swim-up pool bar at any of them, and no bar open at the Jacuzzi pool (which was the most fun for a group our size).
There were 3 main beaches, the rough beach, the calmer beach, and the public beach. Everyone LOVED playing in the waves on the rough beach, it was a little windy for sunbathing, but there was early morning sun on that side of the island. We went snorkelling on the rough beach and the coral was amazing, only be careful of the rough waves along the sides, we had a tumble into the coral when we were out there. The calmer beach was great for swimming and playing in the ocean as well, I tried snorkelling there and it was a little too murky. The beach is a lot wider on the calm side, it was great for sunbathing.
We ate the first time at the Mediterranean place, it was nice, the food we delicious. The wedding reception was at Don Pablos and it was FANTASTIC, the sirloin was wrapped in bacon, the desserts were great, and the wedding cake was beautiful. The third time we ate at the Italian place and we had lamb, which was really well done if you’re a lamb lover. The buffet is a typical AI buffet, different themes every night and good variety, the main buffet offered more choice than the beach snack bar at lunch.
I went once to the market, the vendors were typical for DR, very pushy wanting you to come out back to see more stuff, except for one woman, her jewellery stood right out, all hand made right there, and it was soooo beautiful and unique, I think we all bought one of her pieces.
At first we were worried that there wouldn't be much partying in the evenings because the bars at the hotel close at 11pm and most of the staff leave on a boat to the main land at midnight. But we were happy to find that the public beach (short walk from the front lobby) had a outside bar (free for hotel guests) and a beach party everynight (when not raining) until at least 2am. They played great music and had a dance floor set up on the beach, our group partied there most nights after the lobby bar closed and really enjoyed it!
My husand’s sister was married while we were there, they picked the flowers and cake before hand, and when they arrived the wedding coordinator took them around to show them the location and to pick the menus. It was really well done, the gazebo was on a stretch of land coming out between the calm and rough beach, the decorations were nice, and the flowers were beautiful exotic flowers. The minister was all business, and the music selection was a little cheesy, but overall it was fantastic, the couple seemed very happy with their day.
We didn’t have a single person sick on this trip, which was incredible, compared to last year in Punta Cana I think everyone took a turn in the medical center.
The cars that shuttle you around the loop to your villa from the front lobby were very good, you could almost always catch one out front of the lobby and driving by you on the way from your villa you can hail them down.
I wouldn’t hesitate to go back again and I recommend it to everyone.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 2 pools 3 Jacuzzis with bar Large sun terrace and gardens with loungers and sun umbrellas Pool and beach towel service BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, 1 tennis court Motorised water sports (additional charge) Store Heliport WiFi access in the lobby and in rooms (free of charge) Main buffet-style restaurant and 3 speciality restaurants 6 Bars Cocktail Lounge Snack-bar Wedding gazebo Rooms 209 rooms including 5 types Superior, Junior Suite, Superior Junior Suite, Deluxe Junior Suite and Beach Villas. Superior Junior Suites, Deluxe Junior Suites and Beach Villas are larger than the Junior Suite and Superior. Room facilities: King size four poster bed Air conditioning Ceiling fan Sitting area with desk Balcony or terrace Fully-equipped marble bathroom with hydromassage bath tub, separate shower, bidet, hair dryer and magnifying mirror Telephone in bathroom Don Pablo Collection amenities Bathrobe and slippers Radio alarm clock with iPod docking station Direct phone line (additional charge for external calls) Flat screen satellite TV Safe Mini-bar with alcoholic drinks Wifi Coffee-making facilities Ironing set 24 hour room service Evening downturn service Outdoor Jacuzzi (Deluxe Junior Suites) Butler service Pillow menu Aroma menu Beach Villas: Seafront location with outdoor Jacuzzi, pillow menu available on request, baggage unpacking and ironing service, laundry service (optional) Other services Medical and pharmacy service (additional charge for both) Stores in the hotel Heliport and private boat (available on request for an additional charge) Mainland reception and transfer by boat (included in the booking fee) Specialised service for organising weddings, events and anniversaries. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Expedia, Priceline, Despegar.com, BookIt.com, TripOnline SA, Orbitz and Hotels.com so you can book your Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Hotel
- Cayo Levantado Samana
- Cayo Levantado Dominican Republic
- Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado
- Cayo Levantado Hotel Samana