My wife and I spent 7 incredible days at the Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado in late March 2010. To say that our stay exceeded our greatest expectations would be an understatement. This all inclusive resort is a true 5 star establishment geared towards people looking for relatively quiet yet fun time.
When we decided to take a vacation without our two great, yet sometimes challenging boys, we looked all across the Caribbean for an adults only resort that would provide a relaxing and romantic getaway. After weeks of research my wife happened onto the Cayo Levantado. Although it isn’t an adults only resort, the beauty of the grounds and intrigue of the island getaway made us decide to give it a try. We are very glad that we did.
So, enough of the background. Here is what we found. The grounds are more beautiful than you could imagine (the photos don’t do it justice). The food is incredible with a selection that is wide enough to please anyone. There are two buffet restaurants, one in the main building that provides 5 star food and service without the need for formal attire. The other is located adjacent to the beach pool that provides a less formal menu and has dress code that accepts swim suits and t-shirts. The resort also offers three a la cart restaurants (French, Italian and Caribbean/seafood) that require long pants for men and reservations (note that reservations hard to get so book them as soon as you check-in). We were sold on the quality and selection at the buffet along with the casual dress code and drop in service so we cancelled our a la cart reservations (people that we met at the resort spoke very highly of the Italian and Caribbean restaurants). The resort also offers complimentary room service from a limited but good menu.
The beach area of the resort actually contains two beaches, one that is known for its wind and waves and the other for its calm waters, snorkelling and kayaking. Both beaches are relatively small but serve the purpose. The island is also home to a small public park with a very nice, large beach. The public beach local vendors (paintings, jewellery, clothing, etc.), local people and tourists from the occasional cruise ship. This beach is typically quite and provides great snorkelling (the best location to find fish is on the far right). All three beaches on the island provide plenty of opportunities for relaxing in or out of the sun.
The pools at the resort are very well laid out. The large pool at the beach area is good for kids and adults and provides great lounging areas as well as shaded locations for those who like to swim without getting too much sun. The larger pool on the upper side of the resort is actually three separate U-shaped pools that are laid out in a way that provides the equivalent of 6 private pools. This area also contains great lounging opportunities including several cushioned double bed-like loungers within curtained structures. The last, and perhaps most unique pool area, is actually a three in one hot tub. It is a heated wading pool with three separate sunken sections with jets.
The entertainment at the resort consists of theme nights such as dancing, karaoke, a dance troop or a local band. These activities take place outside at the main building and can be a lot of fun. At around 10pm’ish the party is move to the public. At night the public beach belongs to the resort so the entertainment is run by the resort and drinks are free.
Other amenities include a well equipped gym, a spa (costs extra), a lit tennis court and a water sports shack. The tennis and snorkelling supplies are complimentary but if you go to the public beach you pay for snorkelling supplies and drinks (yes there is a bar at the public beach).
The buildings are great. The main building is very nice with large beautiful rooms. The remainder of the rooms are located in multi-unit villages that range in size and number of units. It appears as though the majority of the villa units have some degree of an ocean view (and what a view it is). The resort is only 4 or 5 years old and the units are top notch.
The grounds are immaculate and range from manicured gardens to near jungle like wooded areas. As part of their building permit, the resort was required to maintain the natural existing beauty of the island. They definitely succeeded.
Finally, the greatest resource of this resort is its management and staff. Every employee of the facility, from groundskeepers to the housekeepers, the servers to the bar tenders and entertainment to the management, all go out of their way to make your stay as pleasant as possible. As with any facility there are some people that stick out but in this case the average is well above average. I am not sure where they find such great people but the world would be a better place if we could all have their attitude.
The bottom line is that if you are looking for a loud and crazy keg party this might not be the place for you. If you are looking for a place that provides the ability to unwind, relax or enjoy the most romantic getaway of your life, then book a stay now (no I don’t work for Bahia Principe).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 2 pools 3 Jacuzzis with bar Large sun terrace and gardens with loungers and sun umbrellas Pool and beach towel service BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, 1 tennis court Motorised water sports (additional charge) Store Heliport WiFi access in the lobby (free of charge) and in rooms (additional charge) Main buffet-style restaurant and 3 speciality restaurants 6 Bars Cocktail Lounge Snack-bar Wedding gazebo Rooms 209 rooms including 5 types Superior, Junior Suite, Superior Junior Suite, Deluxe Junior Suite and Beach Villas. Superior Junior Suites, Deluxe Junior Suites and Beach Villas are larger than the Junior Suite and Superior. Room facilities: King size four poster bed Air conditioning Ceiling fan Sitting area with desk Balcony or terrace Fully-equipped marble bathroom with hydromassage bath tub, separate shower, bidet, hair dryer and magnifying mirror Telephone in bathroom Don Pablo Collection amenities Bathrobe and slippers Radio alarm clock with iPod docking station Direct phone line (additional charge for external calls) Flat screen satellite TV Safe Mini-bar with alcoholic drinks Wifi Coffee-making facilities Ironing set 24 hour room service Evening downturn service Outdoor Jacuzzi (Deluxe Junior Suites) Butler service Pillow menu Aroma menu Beach Villas: Seafront location with outdoor Jacuzzi, pillow menu available on request, baggage unpacking and ironing service, laundry service (optional) Other services Medical and pharmacy service (additional charge for both) Stores in the hotel Heliport and private boat (available on request for an additional charge) Mainland reception and transfer by boat (included in the booking fee) Specialised service for organising weddings, events and anniversaries. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Expedia, BookIt.com, Priceline, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA, Orbitz and Hotels.com so you can book your Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Hotel
- Cayo Levantado Samana
- Cayo Levantado Dominican Republic
- Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado
- Cayo Levantado Hotel Samana